Runner's Trots... how to prevent?

Options
EliseTK1
EliseTK1 Posts: 482 Member
Ugh... I hate having to ask about this, but it's pretty important to me to not sh** myself or lose 20 minutes in the porta potty during the marathon in January. I've just discovered that I'm susceptible to runner's trots. Anyone had this problem? How did you train your gut to keep it together? I started having this issue towards the end of my last 7-mile run. (I did drink ~3 glasses of wine the night before, so I won't ever be doing that again.)

Replies

• dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer advice but unfortunately I'm suffering the same.

Its really starting to annoy the hell out of me....literally every time I go for a run I get a code brown!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Experiment and figure out what diet triggers, if any, cause issues for you. Any large, spicy meals cause issues for me the following day, even without running. Mexican or Indian the day before a long run, never again...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I find I "feel" it but if I do stop I really don't have to go...

• sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    3 glasses of wine will make me sh** myself every time. I have learned through trail and error what makes my stomach act up. I know that if I eat anything fried or mexican the night before a long run, I need to make sure there are bathrooms on my route. I also had to eliminate coffee the morning of a long run. I also have to be careful about what fuel I take during the run.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to used to use a rectal suppository a few hours before races to make sure everything was cleaned out. I know a bit graphic, but it worked for me. Also I don't go for the big carbo load the night before. Treat long runs like race days. Watch your diet the day before a long run and when you figure it out repeat it race day. The key to a big race is to make it as normal and routine as possible. I wish that I always followed this advice. I remember drinking to much the night before a number of my races and ending up having a really bad day.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I make sure I go to the bathroom before the race... usually at home/hotel. Then I start out with little to nothing in my stomach, and rely on foods I know I can trust during the race. It's kind of a fine line to walk because it's so easy to get behind on nutrition/hydration, but I've only ever ended up in the porto once, so...
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Try to train your body to relieve itself before you run. If I haven't gone to the bathroom before a run I'm sure to have intestinal distress. But if I'm empty, there's no problem
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Try to train your body to relieve itself before you run. If I haven't gone to the bathroom before a run I'm sure to have intestinal distress. But if I'm empty, there's no problem

^^^^ That's pretty much it. At the risk of TMI I don't run in the morning until after the coffee has kicked in and I've had my morning BM.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A natural laxative the night before helps my husband.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    As they say "don't do anything different on race day" its just not a good time to experiment.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I get up earlier in the morning that I have time to let the coffee kick in and have that BM :) sometimes two BMs if I'm nervous. I treat long runs, long bikes, and races the same......I get up early (say 5 am) and that usually works for me!
    One thing that really works for me (not promoting it just saying it works for me)....if I keep feeling the poop urge as it gets closer for me to leave the house for my long workout I take a sliver (just a tiny piece) of an Imodium pill. The small dosage doesn't dehydrate me or stop me up for days. And it's probably psychological anyway ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Coffee on an empty stomach.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    For my last marathon I used Immodium (two 30 minutes pre-race, one as the gun went off) and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't make a habit of using it for training but in race it did the job
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    For my last marathon I used Immodium (two 30 minutes pre-race, one as the gun went off) and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't make a habit of using it for training but in race it did the job

I have done this in the past as well. What is working for me now is to eat consistently (ie learn what makes your stomach happy) and run routes with bathrooms. I am running San Fran as my first marathon BECAUSE there are lots of bathrooms on the route :smile:
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not eating anything complex for fuel right beforehand. Starch syrup/sugar-based (like gels, gummies, that sort of thing) stuff will be safe to have for most people during/immediately beforehand; but you'll want to leave plenty of time to digest anything else before the race).

Also- find out what electrolyte/fuel solution will be available (ie gatoraid or ?) and make sure you can tolerate it before the race if you plan on using it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Try to figure out what triggers stomach upset for you. Fiber, spicy food, dairy, sugar etc. might be triggers. Consider your long runs as rehearsal for your race. Write down foods that work and those that don't. Some people have problems with Gu that has caffeine. Some have problems with Gatorade during a run. Practice everything. If you are going to try Immodium, do it on your longer runs before the race.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I typically have to go about 15 mins into my run, luckily -- there is a. Lean public toilet on my route. On race days I get up Really early (like 4:30) and do a short run to help get things moving, then pound Imodium. DO NOT eat Halo Top the night before a race. Learned that one the hard way.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I suffered from this issue in the past. As a result, my coach had me practice a breakfast and fueling routine during run training this winter to prepare for a marathon this past March. The routine I settled on is this: The day before the race, I consume my largest meal at breakfast, including whatever amount of carbs I'd like. Then I eat lightly at lunch and dinner, specifically avoiding any alcohol, dairy or foods that are prepared with any type of sauce or gravy.

On race morning, I eat breakfast and drink coffee at least 2 hours before race start, so I have time to clear my bowels. (for triathlons, that means I eat breakfast around 4am) I no longer eat whole oats and yogurt at breakfast, but instead I consume simple carbs for breakfast, such as a plain white bagel with honey and banana slices.

During the race, I wear a hydration vest that includes my liquid fuels, gels, etc, as well as baby wipes, imodium and ibuprofen. That way, I'm not worried about what to do in case I have to hit the porta potty.

During your training, be sure to practice consuming fuels and liquids you intend to take in during the race. That way you'll find out what you like and also what you don't tolerate well. For example, I learned that I don't like to mix chocolate GU gels with the lemon lime flavored EFS fuels, and I also get queasy if I try to consume GU's after about 10 miles of running. So I switched to honey stinger waffles and I no longer had any gastric distress during long runs.

Good luck.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I usually just hammer a cork up my butt before the workout...:)