Calorie Restricted Diets

Options
RDahling
RDahling Posts: 27 Member
Howdy Collective,

I was reading an article on the BBC about Calorie Restricted (CR) diets which sounded interesting to look into and consider as an additional option for weight loss for myself. They provided a link to the iDiet website, but the prices there seem somewhat outrageous to me.

Checking out articles on the benefits of CR Dieting (such as this ONE on calorie restricted diets in obese women in the JCEM or this ONE that concludes increased fibre can help with weight loss as well as this general article from Livestrong.com), it seems that the evidence demonstrates positive results, but how are other people handling it? I've seen a couple of threads in here on how much calorie restriction sucks, but I'm still interested in considering it as an option for myself - more to the point, I'd be interested in seeing something beyond journal articles on how to implement one and recommended recipes to ensure satiety despite eating less.

Anyone have any links or recommendations for CR diets?

Cheers,
Rob

Replies

• cherilee0831
    cherilee0831 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am on a calorie restricted diet through my doctor. I keep my calorie intake under a 1000 a day but allow myself a little more on the weekends. I have lost 32 pounds in 7 weeks. To make sure I keep it off, once I get to my half way goal, I will start increasing my calories so that I am at 1500-1800 a day to maintain.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Thats what CICO supports - the idea that if you want to lose weight, your calories in have to be less than your calories out - so you restrict the number of calories you consume. And of course the converse is true - to gain, your calories consumed have to be more than the calories you expend. And thats what so many of us here at MFP are doing - I was going to say its not rocket science but I guess for some people it is. Its definitely science!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Any weight loss plan or diet is calorie restriction...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Everyone who loses weight does so by calorie restriction - that's literally the only way to lose weight.

Any diet like Keto, DASH, Jenny Craig, WW, "clean eating", etc works if the changes you make to your diet cause you to eat less calories. You might not be actually counting the calories, but you lose the weight because you are consuming less calories than you burn.

I didn't use any particular diet, just logged my food and learned over time that focusing on getting enough protein and fat helped me to feel full on slightly lower calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am on a calorie restricted diet through my doctor. I keep my calorie intake under a 1000 a day but allow myself a little more on the weekends. I have lost 32 pounds in 7 weeks. To make sure I keep it off, once I get to my half way goal, I will start increasing my calories so that I am at 1500-1800 a day to maintain.

Good luck with that. I hope you're not going to binge (like almost everybody does after extreme calorie restriction.)
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get that a standard weight loss diet aims at CI < CO (I currently run a deficit of anywhere from 500 - 1500 kcal/day, depending on what I do), but the CR diets talked about in the articles and the website generally imply something other than just a ratio imbalance - it seems that the CR Diet aims at a specific percentile of necessary calories rather than simply running a deficit (somewhere around the range of 60%), which is why I'm curious about it.

As for satiety, I don't seem to have any issues with that, even when I'm 1500+ deficit on the day.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    RDahling wrote: »
    I get that a standard weight loss diet aims at CI < CO (I currently run a deficit of anywhere from 500 - 1500 kcal/day, depending on what I do), but the CR diets talked about in the articles and the website generally imply something other than just a ratio imbalance - it seems that the CR Diet aims at a specific percentile of necessary calories rather than simply running a deficit (somewhere around the range of 60%), which is why I'm curious about it.

As for satiety, I don't seem to have any issues with that, even when I'm 1500+ deficit on the day.

Such as total calories the body burns - 20%? That's actually suggested a lot on here because it is an appropriate deficit no matter how much weight someone has to lose. A morbidly obese person could have an even greater deficit, but -20% is enough to be satisfied for most people and helps ensure adequate intake to preserve lean mass no matter what the body fat of the person is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RDahling wrote: »

The study linked (https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jc.2002-021480) is not talking about a specific diet called the calorie restricted diet. What it's comparing is a carb-restricted diet where total calories are not limited (the question is how much the dieter will limit them without that) vs. a so called low fat diet with a calorie limit.

I can't tell what the iDiet is exactly, because of course they want you to pay, but I don't think it's just about some level of calorie restriction (and a diet is calorie restricted if you are, well, restricting calories in some way, there's no specific formula).