What's the deal with the "ideal weight" charts?

Options
TashaFat2Fit
TashaFat2Fit Posts: 11 Member
Read that in your best Seinfeld voice..

Here's my question, I'm 5' 4" currently weigh 183 pounds and the ideal weight charts online say I should weigh 112!!! Wha?? That's a 70 pound weight loss! How much stock have you put into those charts, and for those 5'4" ladies - What's a realistic "ideal weight"?

Replies

• TashaFat2Fit
    Options
    Thanks! It's been a minute since I weighed 140 but I remember looking pretty darn thin! The BMI calculator is helpful.
  • Msneshababy
    Msneshababy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yea that's crazy. Most charts I see say a female at 5'4" should be about 120. I too am 5'4 and my "ideal weight" for myself is 155, so I have about 10lbs to go. I can't imagine myself any lower than 150, 112 is definitely way too small but the weight on someone of our height can look different depending on where that weight is sitting. I don't pay attention to those charts. Go by what you feel is best/healthiest for you and what your doctor says. :)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    112 is for someone extremely small-boned, I would guess. I am pretty average in build and am really happy at 135 now...I think I'd look amazing at 128-130 but it's really hard to maintain this current weight. When I was 10 lbs heavier, I still would be described by most people as "thin" or at least "healthy" and wore a size 6 or 8.
  • TashaFat2Fit
    Options
    Yea that's crazy. Most charts I see say a female at 5'4" should be about 120. I too am 5'4 and my "ideal weight" for myself is 155, so I have about 10lbs to go. I can't imagine myself any lower than 150, 112 is definitely way too small but the weight on someone of our height can look different depending on where that weight is sitting. I don't pay attention to those charts. Go by what you feel is best/healthiest for you and what your doctor says. :)

Thank you! As it stands now, even at 183, no one would think I weigh that much. I carry weight everywhere and in my stomach. ☺ 150 would be awesome! Good luck!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I think I look good in the 140-145 range. Right now I'm about 160 and trying to get back below 150 and see how I'm feeling there. I like to lift weights though and have muscle so too small isn't a look that would suit me I don't think.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, your "ideal weight" will range. I think your ideal weight is whatever your weight when you get about 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week and follow a meal pattern that is sustainable for life.

Something important to understand with the BMI is that it is a marker of health risk. When researchers track health outcomes and weight, they find BMI's in the 18-25 range have the best health outcomes, meaning lowest risk of disease and longest life.

Some research shows better health outcomes in the 25-30 range, but that is often because they do not control for smoking or diseases like cancer and COPD. BMI's in the 30+ range have the worst health outcomes, as do BMI's in the less then 18 ranges.

It might also be helpful to look at your waist circumference. If you take a tape measure around your waist using your belly button as a guide, ideally you want it to be less then 35 inches for a woman and 40 inches for a man.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and weighed 130-135 in high school. That was a size 6 then (20 years ago; who knows now with vanity sizing!) 112 would definitely be too low for me to try to attain.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in BMI.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. I'm 5'8" and based on my advanced age the charts say I should weigh 120ish. I didn't even weigh that little in high school (was 130). Not going to happen. I am hoping for 150 - maybe 160 if it is muscle and not jiggle.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I'm also 5'4" and 112 is way to small for me. I have a large frame and am busty no matter my size. I typically look and feel my best right around 140lb.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. I'm 5'8" and based on my advanced age the charts say I should weigh 120ish. I didn't even weigh that little in high school (was 130). Not going to happen. I am hoping for 150 - maybe 160 if it is muscle and not jiggle.

The chart is a range not a single number. 120s for 5'8 is the lowest number but it goes much higher than that. 150 is in the normal range for 5'8
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Just echoing the comments above. The charts and things are a "guide", just as BMI should also be (though for some reason it's gospel). People start asking me if I'm sick/eating disordered/making skinny jokes/etc. when I get below 145. I'm 5'5".
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and currently 167. I've lost 25lbs so far, and I'm still working at getting to right around 155. A few years ago, I dropped to 150 lbs and I didn't like how I looked at all. My hip bones were popping out, my face was gaunt. I will keep working to be healthy, STRONG, and comfortable. Forget the charts and do what looks/feels good to you. Best of luck!!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Check the formulas as 112 lbs for 5'4" sounds a bit low...

The TDEE calculator I use (https://tdeecalculator.net) provides a sample of 'ideal' weights (which are typically right in the middle of the BMI range) based on multiple formulas, but with caveats...

For 5'4" female, it says this...
    Ideal Weight: 120-129 lbs

Your ideal body weight is estimated to be between 120-129 lbs based on the various formulas listed below. These formulas are based on your height and represent averages so don't take them too seriously, especially if you lift weights.

G.J. Hamwi Formula (1964) 120 lbs
    B.J. Devine Formula (1974) 121 lbs
    J.D. Robinson Formula (1983) 123 lbs
    D.R. Miller Formula (1983) 129 lbs

I think @Tried30UserNames is on to something as 112 is right in the range for a 5'2" female per my calculator (which says: 110-123 lbs).
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    ugh! I hate those charts. As a former marathon runner, I once found an online calculator that would compare race times to elite athletes when compensating for certain handicaps (such as excess weight). In order to be a "world class" marathoner (at my then-fitness levels), it recommended that I weigh 88 pounds! That would be scary!

I'm a littly shy of 5'3" and I consider myself to be looking pretty good (and fit) around 130-135lbs, which is toward the top of the range given for my height. My build is "on the larger side of medium" and I'm very active and tend to have a fairly muscular build. If I'm super ill (think flu or mono for a month or two) then I can drop down to 120-125lbs (and rock a bikini) but that's a pretty unhealthy / atrophied weight for me.