I've made myself junk intolerant?

Options
Hey everyone,
My weight-loss journey has been going on for just over a year now. I've gained and lost a fair few times, but my losses have been fairly stable for about 9/8 months now. I'm playing it smart, I'm on no strict diet and I do plenty of exercise and have an active job.

My main reason for posting today is to find out if it's possible for someone to become "junk intolerant". I eat wise, but, I'm a chef and I bake. So naturally, I have a cheeky bit of brownie, or flapjack every now and then. Purely for quality control, obviously

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrible. I hope not.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    I don't know - but I would like a brownie. :smile:

I do know that when I restrict my access to sugary things it makes me feel better in general and helps with weight loss, but I don't think that's what you are asking.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sort of, but not really. There have been many instances of people cutting out a particular type of food, then adding it back in many months later, and feeling ill. But that has happened with what is often called "junk" food, as well as what is often called "healthy" food. After a brief time of reintroduction, they've typically gotten used to those foods again.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Well, my desire to eat "junk" is somewhat reduced as I do feel a bit better with my exercising/energy when I am not eating a lot of calorically dense foods (I still eat them, just not as much). My cravings tend to be for protein more than sugar (weird I guess) but I will still get the urge to eat a brownie now and again. Intolerant would be a strong word from my own experiences, but that's just me.
  • Chazzlette
    Chazzlette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree I was a bit dramatic there but I don't know how else to word it haha. I have cut sugar out for the most part as I'm not a fan, and most time I can resist any urges to eat when I bake, but literally as soon as I do I feel this way. Today I had flapjack and I honestly thought I was going to throw up I could barely walk home, but drinking lots of water seems to help. Maybe its a sugar rush?
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Chazzlette wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    My weight-loss journey has been going on for just over a year now. I've gained and lost a fair few times ...

... My main reason for posting today is to find out if it's possible for someone to become "junk intolerant". I eat wise, but, I'm a chef and I bake. So naturally, I have a cheeky bit of brownie, or flapjack every now and then. Purely for quality control, obviously

LOL, I forget who the comedian was (Henny Youngman, maybe?) who joked, "yeah, I've lost a lot of weight ... but I keep on finding it again!"

I don't know if its a matter of being "junk intolerant" as much as the bad stuff stands out so much more when you've worked hard to clean up your diet otherwise. There are foods I used to virtually inhale that make me feel awful now (mentally and physically - maybe the two are liked?).

BTW, quality control is important, LOL!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Junk intolerant might be too strong of a word but I believe it's more than possible to change long time eating habits away from "junk" food and towards healthier options. I've eaten fast food my whole life to some extent but haven't had the urge to eat a chain store burger and fries or a donut for months, soon to be a year. I'm in Tim Horton's just about every day picking up a coffee, I have more than enough calories available to scarf down a Boston Cream or a Canadian Maple but the thought of buying one rarely crosses my mind anymore. I just don't find it as appealing as I used to and I'd rather eat my own food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree I was a bit dramatic there but I don't know how else to word it haha. I have cut sugar out for the most part as I'm not a fan, and most time I can resist any urges to eat when I bake, but literally as soon as I do I feel this way. Today I had flapjack and I honestly thought I was going to throw up I could barely walk home, but drinking lots of water seems to help. Maybe its a sugar rush?

It sounds more psychological to me. It's perfectly natural for tastes to change but to feel physically ill over a flapjack isn't natural.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It sounds more psychological to me. It's perfectly natural for tastes to change but to feel physically ill over a flapjack isn't natural.

This was my thought too.

My tastes have definitely changed (I think more with becoming an adult and a more adventurous eater), and I find I tend to crave foods I eat so if I'm eating lots of "healthy" foods that's what I tend to want when I'm hungry and thinking of foods to eat (which is basically what I think of a craving--where your mind goes and what you are hungry for). However, even when I'm eating sweets or added sugar quite rarely I don't find that having a cookie or piece of pie or something makes me feel bad, at all, and I can't think of any physical reason why it would. Now, overeating might, but that's not what you are talking about, so dunno. Unless you have some food intolerance you weren't aware of, but that wouldn't be so vague as "junk food."
  • Going2Getthere22
    Going2Getthere22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    wow... can we really be junk intolerant?! please let me know how! lol. As I find that I eat far too much junk, and usually because its convenient...but, I would much prefer to be putting good stuff in :)
  • Going2Getthere22
    Going2Getthere22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    is it better to remove sugar from your diet completely (except the natural sugars found in fruit), or will obstaining from it entirely, make you crave it more?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    wow... can we really be junk intolerant?! please let me know how! lol. As I find that I eat far too much junk, and usually because its convenient...but, I would much prefer to be putting good stuff in :)

So why not just put good stuff in? If you build your diet primarily around nutrient dense foods, but don't explicitly restrict things, then you would naturally have less room for the "junk"? Aspiring to find foods less pleasurable or even to convince yourself that your body is intolerant of certain foods simply because you cut them out for a time being just doesn't sound like a balanced, sustainable approach.
  • linreadsy
    linreadsy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    is it better to remove sugar from your diet completely (except the natural sugars found in fruit), or will obstaining from it entirely, make you crave it more?

I think this answer is different for different people. I haven't had sugar in 40 days. I don't intend to cut it out forever though. I just knew that cold turkey was the kick I needed to help me start my weight loss journey. I'll start adding it back in when I feel like I can have it without overindulging.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

From a biological perspective, your body doesn't differentiate between added sugar, and the sugars found in fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc. Your body breaks down both into the same molecules and they are processed the same way along the same biochemical pathways. Again, that is not meant to imply that an apple is the same nutritionally as a cookie. Just that the sugar in a cookie is processed by your body in the same way as the sugar in an apple, from a purely physiological perspective. What you're describing is more of a psychological scenario where some people find a benefit in cutting out, or cutting back, on certain foods they have difficulty moderating. Whether or not that sort of restriction causes you to crave it more, potentially resulting in overeating it when you do consume it again, is very personal.

Foods with a lot of added sugars tend to be very calorie dense (although not just from the sugar, often because they have fat and other ingredients that contribute to the overall calorie total), so from a weight loss perspective, looking at how much of a contributor these types of foods are to your overall day is something that is advisable. But that really goes for any food...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Well, first, sugar is inherently in lots more than fruit. It's in dairy, vegetables, sweet potatoes and some other foods that are primarily starches, there's even a small bit in egg, some in nuts, etc.

"Junk food" to me has nothing to do with sugar, I think it means foods that are high cal and lower nutrient for the calories -- that would include some foods (like fries) that typically don't have sugar.

As for whether you should cut out sweets (which is what I think you mean), depends on you. I like sweets, although I currently eat them quite rarely, so I have no interest in cutting them out completely, but I limit them. On the other hand, during the larger part of my weight loss I ate a little dessert after dinner most days, sometimes fruit or cheese, but sometimes chocolate or ice cream (about 200 calories worth when having ice cream).

If you are running to them for emotional reasons or have a habit of eating them lots it might help to cut them out for a while, although what actually helped me more was to cut out snacking (I don't really like snacking, others do well with planned snacks), since I tend to eat well at meals and eat poorly when I impulse eat and being in the habit of eating between meals is more likely to result in me thinking about food at those times or wanting it when it turns up.

Anyway, as WinoGelato said, planning and knowing what you want to eat is really the key if you find you are not eating as you would prefer.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This was my thought too.

My tastes have definitely changed (I think more with becoming an adult and a more adventurous eater), and I find I tend to crave foods I eat so if I'm eating lots of "healthy" foods that's what I tend to want when I'm hungry and thinking of foods to eat (which is basically what I think of a craving--where your mind goes and what you are hungry for). However, even when I'm eating sweets or added sugar quite rarely I don't find that having a cookie or piece of pie or something makes me feel bad, at all, and I can't think of any physical reason why it would. Now, overeating might, but that's not what you are talking about, so dunno. Unless you have some food intolerance you weren't aware of, but that wouldn't be so vague as "junk food."

Agreed. I also don't see how having a flapjack (singular pancake) is going to cause any sort of intestinal distress. Sugar rush wouldn't make you feel like you are going to throw up. Either psychological or some other ailment that is being blamed because of the timing of this.

When people post things like this, it makes me really glad that I never took such a restrictive approach that foods I loved to eat either became less enjoyable, or made me physically ill after cutting them out. That doesn't seem like something to aspire to - why not just add in more nutrient dense foods and try to eat a variety of things so that you have more foods to choose from and build your diet (noun) around - not an approach where foods become less pleasurable because you've removed them from your diet?

I'm probably being thick but what does "Singular pancake" mean?

Agree with the rest of your post.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up our Pancake Sunday. The presentation and sides have changed, but a pancake has never made me ill (unless I ate too many).

When hubby and I had a month-long salt restricted diet and "celebrated" at the end by ordering KFC, we hated it! We had become more sensitized to salt and it was too, too much.

I've had a similar reaction to Tim Horton's forays in to "natural" food. When strawberries get on the menu, they are put on a custard tart and covered with a glaze. What happened to the plain, sweet taste of strawberry? Is the common Canadian Joe so jaded that he can't enjoy a berry all by itself any more?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This was my thought too.

Agreed. I also don't see how having a flapjack (singular pancake) is going to cause any sort of intestinal distress. Sugar rush wouldn't make you feel like you are going to throw up. Either psychological or some other ailment that is being blamed because of the timing of this.

When people post things like this, it makes me really glad that I never took such a restrictive approach that foods I loved to eat either became less enjoyable, or made me physically ill after cutting them out. That doesn't seem like something to aspire to - why not just add in more nutrient dense foods and try to eat a variety of things so that you have more foods to choose from and build your diet (noun) around - not an approach where foods become less pleasurable because you've removed them from your diet?

I'm probably being thick but what does "Singular pancake" mean?

Agree with the rest of your post.

Google answered for me.

Seems our UK flap jacks are very, very different to the US flapjack/pancake.

Ours are like 450 calorie stodge slabs made of oats in melted butter with a *kitten* ton of sugar.I love a flap jack. It is nothing like what we call a pancake which is a batter.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1205637/flapjack
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out things like wheat barley and rye? I know I get physically sick when I eat those things because celiac not saying you have that but a pancake should not have that reaction for someone without a gluten problem.