Glute activation....

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
So, whenever I do any type of glute activation workout such as clams, fire hydrants, glute bridge I NEVER feel that burn like they say you should! I know my glutes must be working somehow because after workouts such as barbell glute bridges, bulgarian split squats my bottom is sore for a day or two afterwards! However, tonight I've used a resistance band and tried all the exercises again and wow I felt it! Why did it take using a resistance band to finally feel that burn but without the resistance band I dont feel it? I also felt that my movements with the band on were more controlled whereas without I feel all wobbly

Replies

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Because the resistance band adds more resistance? And perhaps since they felt more controlled, you were spending more time under tension.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3285070/
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @FatWithFatness : Interesting article!

For glutes: try cycling (stationary or road). Most important is working out of the seat, which is when your glutes are maximally engaged. Works!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel more of a burn with bands and weights vs bodyweight. There is only so much burn you will get doing activation exercises. When you do the activation, do you feel your glutes work at all? Sometimes it takes practice and slow controlled movements to really feel it. And as you get stronger it helps too