IIFYM Treat Meal?

Options
Hey guys
So for those following IIFYM or a calorie restricted do you have a treat meal? If so how do you fit it in? Save a little each day for a weekly total that fits?

I have been trying to save some macros for my treat and so far so good, I am down 25 lbs since 4/4 but I try to not have totally unhealthy choices (for the most part) as these can be trigger foods for me.

Would love to hear what you are doing and if its "working"

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I typically plan for treats through the week or on weekends. It depends on my macros/calories for the day.
    For example, yesterday I went out for coffee and donuts with a friend, so I planned out my macros to fit it in.

Otherwise I bank calories for the weekend so I can eat more and have more indulgent food.

It "works" :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I made a cheeseburger and tater tots fit in my macros/calories Monday. That meant a green salad and tuna for dinner, and greek yogurt with berries for breakfast, to make it all work out. My goal is 200 carbs, 160 protein, and 55 fat. I hit 201 carbs, 160 protein, and 56 fat.

That's how IIFYM works.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I know ahead of time and I can adjust by 100 calories through the week, sometimes I make a judgment call and accept I'll lose less that week, not at all, or might gain. It's a pretty flawless math formula so you can choose the outcome you're most okay with.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a bit less during the week than I otherwise would because I go out to eat most weekends. I also have a long run on the weekends, so it balances out that way too. (Basically I set my goal to 1500, which assumes a level of exercise that would not include my weekend runs and then I let myself go over on the weekends.)

This worked fine for maintenance, but I've lowered my calories (to the 1500) to lose more, and we shall see.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I will leave healthy gaps in my calories for the week, so I can have my long leisurely blow out brunches on the weekend. Sometimes I create those gaps by eating less, othertimes by moving more.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle so I have the ability to add "fun food" in more easily one day a week.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just try to fit things I like into my day.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    No, we fit our treats into our calories and macros. That's how IIFYM works. If you want a burger or a candy bar you fit it into your goal for the day. That usually means the rest of your food for the day is "whole" or "clean" foods.

This is precisely what I do. If I want to have chipotle for lunch tomorrow, I'll log my meal in advance and plan my other food choices around that. I feel like that's the entire point of MFP, to make those become good habits and second nature once you're used to eating that way. And personally, I feel like this is the best way to "diet" . You're never restricted from having things you enjoy, less cravings and leads to a more natural lifestyle than sweating bullets at a company dinner because you're holding out for chicken and broccoli when you get home.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Yesterday I really wanted tacos, I haven't had them in ages and suddenly really wanted them, in the end I decided to skip beef and try shrimp tacos for the first time. Have a go at something new. So I used the recipe builder to create these amazing spicy shrimp tacos. Three tacos came to 421 calories.

Today I'm super craving a chocolate milkshake, one of my most favorite treats. Now I COULD just try to fit the 600 calorie treat into my day. It's doable, but because I'm on 1550 cals a day I'm working on a low calorie version that comes in at 291 calories. I STILL get my milkshake AND I get more tacos today! And I've got tapioca pudding chilling in the fridge (only 100 cals). Nom nom nom.

So yeah, depending on your calorie allotment you may need to rework recipes a bit but you still get the great foods you crave.