I can't seem to stay motivated

Options
I have to lose weight, but lately I can't stay motivated. Iv been falling back into old eating habits and constantly battling myself. How can I get out of this funk? I'm at the point where I am willing to exchange numbers with someone who is going to the gym/working out daily so I can be motivated to work out at the same time. It would be great to get a Fitbit friend. Pm me if you can help me!!

Replies

• ABeers972
    ABeers972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Staying motivated is probably the hardest thing for me as well.

I have given up in the past before i understood my own motivation / drive system

I find that having a goal of just losing weight is not enough of a goal is just not enough of a motivator for me, i do have something else in mind i would like to do which will force me to be fit and healthy as that a requirement to do it, and that gives me a lot of drive to continue as this is something i really want.

One thing that does help me it to look at the source / what is causing me to lose my motivation, when i gave up before its because i was constantly hungry no matter what i did but knowing that i looked and looked for something that i could eat to keep me full and found that of all things a couple or hard boiled eggs keep me full for hours, and so far have stopped me feeling unmotivated

So ask yourself - why is it you are feeling unmotivated / why do you feel like you want to give up and what goal will you not reach if you do?
  • happiness4dayz
    happiness4dayz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what made me fall off the wagon. Feeling down and in pain from extensive shoulder surgery, and recently suffering a loss. I do feel having that extra support from someone who want to be a virtual workout buddy/gym partner is what I need. I need my endorphins!
  • usmanarshad158
    usmanarshad158 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think we only have to find a company in daily work outs, so we could stay focus on the goals that we wanted to achieve but we must be rigid about that, when making a plan etc.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for several years, lost 60, 10-15 to go. During this time I've battled chronic pain, working around injury, loss of loved one, and just the day to day stresses of raising kids and running a household. How do I stay motivated? Truth is I don't, I've gone through bouts of "bleep it", BUT what I do is embrace the fact there's MUCH in this world that I have no control of, what I eat and making time for exercise is ABSOLUTELY in my control. Take control of what is important to you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Started to write a longer response but went back to InkAndApples, that's some very good advice.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Agree with InkAndApples. Motivation is temporary at best. You have to form habits and let them stick.
  • dlf378
    dlf378 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In my experience I lost motivation when I weighed myself everyday with the number going up and down. I step on the scale once a week and always see a lower number now. It helps to stay motivated, for sure. I've lost 27 lbs so far doing this.
  • Going2Getthere22
    Going2Getthere22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...sometimes I find it easier to accomplish short term goals rather than long term ones, and losing weight is definitely long term. So... maybe that is key...Instead of looking at the long road ahead that you have, break it down into small, manageable things, " like I will not put sugar in my coffee for a week, whatever...and then see how it goes. and then try it for a month, etc and then incorporate a change in your exercise routine, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.. going for 15 min walk a lunch...etc... That way you can feel proud of yourself for the little changes, and get you closer to the bigger ones :)
  • Going2Getthere22
    Going2Getthere22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sorry, to hear about your shoulder injury...pain in any sense is not fun. Hope you feel better soon
  • happiness4dayz
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    I've been at this for several years, lost 60, 10-15 to go. During this time I've battled chronic pain, working around injury, loss of loved one, and just the day to day stresses of raising kids and running a household. How do I stay motivated? Truth is I don't, I've gone through bouts of "bleep it", BUT what I do is embrace the fact there's MUCH in this world that I have no control of, what I eat and making time for exercise is ABSOLUTELY in my control. Take control of what is important to you.

Thank you so much! Great advice
  • happiness4dayz
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I do need to take control of my life. Everything is temporary, and I have to be more patient with myself. Thanks for reaching out!
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I found that if I can forgive myself and tell myself that this is a long term journey, I get back onto track eventually( and sooner)
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a virtual workout buddy! Add me here or on Fitbit
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I've started prelogging my exercises as well as my food. Helps me feel like I've made a commitment.
  • happiness4dayz
    Options
    I've started prelogging my exercises as well as my food. Helps me feel like I've made a commitment.
    I did/do this too. Works great