Eating less than 1,000 cal and weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    even taking into consideration adaptive thermogenesis 1000 calories would have anyone melting off the lbs. This sounds like a logging issue. Underreporting or intermittent logging probably. Can you open your diary OP?

sure, I just wanted to put that out there since anyone who does follow a VLCD for an extended period of time is in danger of lowering their BMR, I'm not saying it will make you stop losing or gain weight at this level hence my initial question. :)

people losing weight period lower their BMR...Adaptive Thermogenesis just isn't for VLCD.

so no AT is not a factor here yet...not even close.

if the OP had been following and I mean really eating under 1k a day then perhaps but they wouldn't be here complaining about no weight loss...

again I agree, and at no point suggested that the OP was suffering weight gain/plateau from adaptive thermogenesis just clarifying that although the term and argument of "starvation mode" is a myth that there is evidence of metabolic change due to long-term calorie restriction, just a note on the matter. A further note being you can help negate adaptive thermogenesis with calorie cycling and refeed days. I didn't mean to derail the discussion with that one point.

Literally my first question was asking her stats, how long has she been restricting and how does she measure her intake, until the OP responds everything is just speculation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP - agree with others that you are eating more than you think and that's why you aren't losing weight.

That said - believing you need to eat 1120 to lose (and that that number is high even) is concerning. Where did that number come from, wasn't this site.

Providing your stats: height, current weight, goal weight, age as well as details about your activity level (you said you are recovering from an injury and aren't currently physically active - what does that mean? You are bedridden? Or you just aren't hitting the gym as much as normal? Big difference) would be helpful. Also opening your diary so that people can look for areas you might be logging inaccurately.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    OP...i may be one if the few who isn't going to suggest that you're eating more than you think. For medical reasons, I eat about 700 calories a day. Even if I am off, I'm not off by hundreds.
    In the last week I've had no loss. I've been walking and drinking plenty of water.
    It's happened before...within a week or 2 the weightloss starts up again.
    I don't know how long you've been dieting and not losing, but you may just need to be patient.
  • iwtbt170
    iwtbt170 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    OP...i may be one if the few who isn't going to suggest that you're eating more than you think. For medical reasons, I eat about 700 calories a day. Even if I am off, I'm not off by hundreds.
    In the last week I've had no loss. I've been walking and drinking plenty of water.
    It's happened before...within a week or 2 the weightloss starts up again.
    I don't know how long you've been dieting and not losing, but you may just need to be patient.

I do agree with you if it's just been a week or two, but if it's been longer, and she's not losing or is gaining, she may be underestimating calories