What type of calories?

AnneMelody
AnneMelody Posts: 51 Member
Can you eat anything i.e. cake, chocolate, etc as long as it's under you calorie allowance? Because I have an ongoing argument and would like clarification, Just to settle it once and for all!!!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yes, you can eat absolutely anything technically and lose weight if you eat at deficit - whether you would feel full/satisfied might be more the issue.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Yup. Cico.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Yes- some days I eat very balanced diets, other days I get fast food for dinner. Tonight, it is margaritas and tacos at a local Mexican place :yum: And I am still losing weight at my current desired weight loss rate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    Now I want tacos.

I admit sometimes my dinner will be ice cream.

@AnneMelody - if you spend any time at all on this forum you'll see 75 page arguments about this, so it's a contentious topic in real life, as well. I've found it's better to just agree with people on their diet misconceptions than it is to try to educate.

Always calories calories calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Yes. You could have a day where you eat nothing but plain sugar within your calories and it would not ruin your weight loss. Would it be a good idea? Not really, no, but theoretically that's exactly how it works.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Yup, you can lose weight on a diet consisting solely of doughnuts and gummi worms if you wanted. That wouldn't be good for overall health because you'd be missing a lot of the macros and micronutrients your body needs, but as far as weight loss is concerned all that matters is calories in < calories out. On Memorial Day I had a couple of cheeseburgers off the backyard grill and 4 beers over the course of the day, but they fit my calorie budget and I'm still down about a pound for the week.

Likewise, you can also gain weight filling up on healthy foods if they exceed your caloric requirements. You'll hear that all the time, whenever someone asks "I eat healthy, why am I still gaining weight?"
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    There are no different types of calories - there are different types of food.

Units of energy are uniform. Foods are made up of different macro and micro nutrients that should go together to give you an overall healthy diet. Part of that overall healthy diet is the number of calories those foods contain.

It's your calorie balance over time that will determine your weight loss, maintenance or weight gain.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    calorie deficit = weight loss
    healthy foods = long term health

u can be over weight n unhealthy

u can be slender n unhealthy

u can be slender n healthy

take ur pick :);)