Gaining weight without losing abs?

Options
So I just started counting my calories a few months ago to get my "bikini body" and I dropped from 63 Kgs to about 55, I'm 5'8. I was by no means overweight but thought my body would benefit from a little less fat and a healthier lifestyle. The issue is, I feel too skinny and I've been told I don't look particularly healthy. I miss the way clothes used to fit on me and I've come to the conclusion that I will be upping my calorie intake ASAP.

Is there any way to do this without losing my abs? I've been working out a moderate amount, but not nearly as much as I needed to when I was a little heavier.

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Don't go ham with your surplus, 100-200/day is more than enough.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You can expect to lose a bit of ab definition when you try to gain weight. Increase 100-200 like @cheldadex says and adjust in a month. Lift heavy weights with a structured weight lifting program like StongLifts if you want to be heavier and keep your bikini body. No, you won't 'bulk up' by lifting weights. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    You can expect to lose a bit of ab definition when you try to gain weight. Increase 100-200 like @cheldadex says and adjust in a month. Lift heavy weights with a structured weight lifting program like StongLifts if you want to be heavier and keep your bikini body. No, you won't 'bulk up' by lifting weights. :)

Pretty much this. You will gain fat, even if you have a small surplus. Just train hard, don't over do it and if you have to cut the new fat and cycle between bulk/cut a few times to gain the weight you wanted.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others said, you will lose some definition even with a small surplus. I find it helps to focus on the good parts like all the growing muscle, hello booty gains! My bikini body looks even better with muscle on my body, it is so worth it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your looking to add muscle then don't stress add your surplus that equates to the gains and work your program hard and cut later.

Too many people dilly dally around trying to keep abs and frankly their progress takes a long time. If you don't mind a long time then :).

Personally I would go nuts and I see many people here that do just thst trying to hold onto their body instead of the route of least resistance.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Slow Bulk. TDEE + 250 calories for a gain of 0.5lbs per week. You won't gain strength and size as quickly, but you also wont gain fat quickly either. The reasoning is the surplus of nutrients gets used on muscles and excess goes into your fat stores, but if you barely have a surplus then the majority will be used on muscles and minimal in fat. The only downside is slower strength and hypertrophy (size) gains, but you get to stay leaner all around.