Has anyone tried L-carnitine

Options
L-carnitine is as amino acid that is supposed to enable your body to burn more calories and use more stored body fat for energy. Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Replies

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use it at as a supplement along with other BCAA supplements and a high protein diet
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We make it in our bodies... I've taken it as a supplement though.

It does nothing for me.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It only burns fat if you're deficient in it

https://examine.com/supplements/l-carnitine/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Worth a read... https://examine.com/supplements/l-carnitine/

"Fat Mass - There appears to be a fat reducing effect of L-Carnitine supplementation, but this may be limited to elderly persons; limited studies in otherwise healthy youth and adults fail to note an effect. "
  • KD7900
    KD7900 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've frequently been using L-carnitine and it does WONDERS especially when you're dieting & training. I've been supplementing it since I started my major weightloss last Mar 28.

I've been extremy dieting hard because I'm joining a biggest loser contest in our company. I take it whilst intermittent fasting & cardio and it amplifies my fat burning state.

L-Carnitine and most dieting supplements DOES MORE with a functional diet & training but may otherwise not work if you follow a poor diet.
  • KD7900
    Options
    The biggest difference is whenever i fast. We know well that hunger often strikes especially on the 16th hr and onwards. Taking L-Carnitine during those fasting periods just increases the hunger even more...making fasting more difficult. And taking it before cardio and on an empty stomach leaves you hungry even more. For me, this hunger indicates that Im burning morefat because when i fast i don't feel the hunger on the 10th hr. But when i take L-Carnitine, i i could already feel the hunger on the 10th hr.

I know its a drag to feel hungry but I like that feeling when my body burns more. I mean, don't we want to burn more in a short period of time?

Also based from my experience, taking in the mentioned supplement before a heavy meal and on an empty stomach, really speeds up your metabolism minutes after your big meal. You will start farting and soon before you know it, the fullness or bloat in your stomach begins to fade quickly. Digestion takes longer when you stuff yourself with food but with L-Carnitine, i could feel the digestion rushing. We're all different but that's how it is for me.

I'm not promoting starvation here. It's only a win strategy for the contest. Our final weigh in will be on the 29th of this month and I'll start making up for the loss. The stakes are high for this contest so whatever it takes for me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical that a product bringing on hunger, or changing how you perceive your digestion, has anything to do with fat burning. But I'm no expert and if taking it helps you reach your goals (or even just gives you the impression it does) I can't argue with that. :drinker:
  • KD7900
    Options
    I was skeptic too from the start but hey got to do whatever it takes ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm skeptical that a product bringing on hunger, or changing how you perceive your digestion, has anything to do with fat burning. But I'm no expert and if taking it helps you reach your goals (or even just gives you the impression it does) I can't argue with that. :drinker:

Agreed.

Hunger does not equal fat burn.
    It equals empty stomach, though...
  • KD7900
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Agreed.

Hunger does not equal fat burn.
    It equals empty stomach, though...

I lose more when I'm hungry but that's just me. Hunger & cravings are different.