Foods you didn't like and now do

Options
spdaphne
spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
I had some smoked salmon for breakfast this morning which I actually like now. i don't like cooked fish very much but my nutritionist suggested I try the smoked salmon from a vendor at a nearby farmer's market. I ended up liking it a lot. I also enjoy sushi more, the nigiri kind and with little or no soy sauce.

Tofu I now like and will cook, a lemon tofu recipe I tried when I was recipe testing for a blogger's cookbook.

What about you?

Replies

• briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Mussels. I hated the way they look and their texture but now they are one of my favourite meals to have! (with garlic butter)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I eat so many more veggies now: mushrooms, brussel sprouts, avocados, kohlrabi, etc. I LOVE them.

I am not super picky to begin with, I just prioritized the wrong things before. Now? I feel like there are SO MANY TASTY OPTIONS. So much food, so little time :cry:

An unusual one for me that I really like was a cold beet salad that was pretty spicy and had peanuts in it. I would not have picked that as a side before but I was curious about the combo. It was delicious :yum:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Bananas couldn't eat them caused gag reflect until I turned 30 then the reflex went away. Brussels sprouts, I am still very picky on how they are cooked but I love putting fresh ones on the grill.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lots of things. I was a super-picky eater as a kid, something that has changed gradually over the years.

Couple of big ones for me (because I absolutely LOATHED these things when I was younger and have grown to really enjoy them) are:

black licorice
    several varieties of fish (used to be fried cod or nothing) - even to point of eating whole sardines, cured anchovies
    chicken livers, sauteed or in a mousse or pate; still can't get over beef liver
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Beans. I used to get nauseated at just the smell of them. Now, bean burgers are one of my favorite things.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to be super picky growing up and there a still a few things on my "never to eat" list. Mushrooms used to be one of them until about a year ago. Now I love them especially on pizza or in spaghetti sauce, omelet, or sandwich.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i used to be really picky, not liking the taste of many "healthy" foods and had to rely on water to choke it down (like cottage cheese, vegetables, eggs, etc.) but since i was on a deficit for many months... i learned to love and appreciate all foods and now can eat any foods with ease. i'm just grateful to be able to eat!
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, baked beans & Brussels sprouts. Up until about a year ago, I could not stand any of these and now I can't get enough.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Zucchini and green beans, now I love them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I hated mustard and anything spicy, and now I love both.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Halo Top.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. Growing up, I'd only had it very lightly steamed, and it tastes (and feels) like you're chewing on a plant stem. Same with cauliflower - steamed cauliflower is nasty. My mom likes her vegetables only slightly cooked past raw, with no added fat or seasoning. Now that I roast everything with olive oil and spices, I've found that I like a lot of the vegetables that I didn't think I liked.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hmm, when I was a kid I also hated lamb, although pretty sure that's because the idea of eating them upset me, and now I love it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Ever? Or only since starting weight loss?

Ever, the only thing that springs to mind is broccoli and brussel sprouts. The smell of broccoli used to nauseate me as a child and my mom only ever served frozen brussel sprouts that had been boiled. I still hate boiled or frozen brussel sprouts but love them if they start fresh and are cooked in oil instead of water.

There are many, many foods I love now that I never tasted as a child. My mother wasn't a particularly ambitious cook. Our meals were pretty basic.

If you mean since deciding to lose weight, I can't think of anything. I didn't make many changes to my diet other than volume.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt. i used to be very staunchly anti-yogurt, but now that i have an eye on my protein macro and only eat seafood as far as meat goes, i've had to make adjustments. i go through 2 big tubs per week, eating it with some pb2 for breakfast and substituting it for almost every dairy ingredient in recipes. sour cream = greek yogurt. heavy cream = greek yogurt. creamy dressing = greek yogurt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nothing really has changed. I've never been a picky eater and I'm pretty much a foodie...
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Guacamole used to gross me out, but now I could eat it by the bowlful with a spoon.
  • TrekkieJenee
    TrekkieJenee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Peppers (red, yellow, green) and mushrooms.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Just since losing weight I can't think of anything either. I wasn't very picky and the weird things I was picky about (I hate canned tuna and cold cereal and rice cakes and V8) didn't seem worth trying to change my mind about.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Too much to list!