Beginner weight training plans

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hi everyone

So, not so long ago I quit the idea of weights and focused on hiit and my calorie deficit but literally all I've done these past two weeks in research primary muscle groups, best workouts for each muscle group etc! I even paid a PT today £35 to show me how to work/use all the gym machines! I had intended to just make "my own" plan up but I'm getting way to much "information" overload and have figured I probably need to follow an actual weight training programme! So my goals are still to lose fat with my calorie deficit and I'm still enjoying my hiit workouts. My aim with weight training is not to get strong or gain muscle, its purely just to get confident in using the machines and free weights and just to maintain the muscle I do have!

Any ideas on good but simple weight training workouts I can try?

K
X

Replies

• kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    P.S prior to the end of March I had 28 PT sessions so feel comfortable doing the workouts (sorry, just incase anyway suggested a PT), I had to stop them because of the cost! I only work out on my lunch hour so wanted a simple workout I could try just to up my confidence
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out this link for a list of great lifting programs

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You will maintain your muscle mass by forcing our body to get stronger. Follow one of these and you will be fine.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Forget the idea of building your own program. Focus on the the big compound exercises, because they work multiple muscles at the same time. These are squat, bench press, barbell row, overhead press and deadlift or SLDL. Pick a beginner's program from the above list. I'm partial to AllPro because it's simple.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    For cheap: Look through the videos at "popsugar fitness" on youtube. I recommend anything with resistance bands and/or dumbbells or just body weight.

For $: Join a gym that has machines and just go through them in sequence, keeping the weight light at first (at least 15 reps). When you don't know how to use a machine, ask someone. (Men love mansplaining weightlifting to just about anyone).

For $$: Pay for group fitness training. In the US, there are gyms popping up everywhere that offer this. I've heard good things about "Get In Shape For Women," for example.

For $$$: Pay for individual training sessions (perhaps once a week for a while). There is no question that this works the best, assuming the trainer is good.