Who has actually lost a significant amount of weight using only CICO?

Options

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    As of this morning I've lost 48.4 pounds with calorie counting. It's taken four months to the day.

I'll cross the 50 pound mark next week, and sometime next year, I will have lost 120 pounds and be at goal.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit ---> weight loss over time.

What you eat will impact you, in terms of how satiated/energetic you feel. But yes, you can work in treats and whatnot. From my perspective, sometimes I want something until I think about how many calories it involves. Then I have to choose do I still want it, do I want some of it, or do I not want it at all? The result is not always the same. Last night at the grocery store I wanted one of those little pastry pies with the chocolate pudding inside. But for 480 calories, I didn't want it! And it was not something I could really eat 1/2 of, so I did not buy it. Instead I bought a pack of 6 mini chocolate donuts. Ate 3 (220 cals) on the way home, and ate the other 3 on the way in to work this morning. Honestly, I could have fit the whole pack of donuts or the pie into my calories yesterday but decided I did not want to.

Granted, I am now at maintenance and it IS easier to enjoy a wider variety of food types & quantities on 1850-2050 calories than when I was eating 1400-1600. Though its not unusual for me to eat a little lower during the week, to make room for situations that may arise on the weekend. I'm really wanting to go to this local Tex Mex restaurant soon on a Fri or Sat night, live band/chips & salsa/good food AND frozen sangria-margarita swirls. That one will be logged, but I can't guarantee accuracy lol.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've only been using CICO for 80 days and I've 35lbs. Granted, I still have a long way to go and it is easier the heavier you are, but I've mostly just been counting those calories. I can't really exercise much because I have ehlers danlos. Now, I do try to eat healthier than I once did because I want to make sure I have enough energy, and I'm not sacrificing my health. I didn't totally change everything I ate or anything. I just sort of tweaked it and then watched the amounts.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mjcm9dbgvw82.png

Just counting calories and personal strategies. No arbitrary food rules, but things here and there that make weight loss easier and healthier for me without, not rules per se, more like guidelines.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am interested in hearing from those who have lost a significant amount of weight 60+lbs, using only the CICO method? how long did this take you?
    Not wanting stories of people you know, or if you lost 20lbs - I wan't to hear from those who were actually able to significantly change their lives using CICO.

Not quite as much as 60 pounds, but applicable to what you're asking, I think.

My maximum pregnancy weight was 220ish pounds (probably closer to 225 than 220) both times I was pregnant. After the first pregnancy, I was down to 190 post-birth and managed to get down to 170 without calorie counting; that took a year. After the second pregnancy, I was down to 200 post-birth and took about 8 months to lose 10 more pounds without calorie counting. I got fed up. I knew that calorie counting worked. I'd done it once before, several years before I met my husband and gained pregnancy pregnant (lost 40 pounds calorie counting back then). So, I started calorie counting. I lost the first 30 pounds in about three months. I deliberately slowed the loss down, and I have now lost 40 pounds as a result of calorie counting.

Yes, I am active (which lets me eat more), but I was active before I started calorie counting.

Yes, I try to eat healthy, but I was trying to do that before I started calorie counting. And anyone on my friends list who can see my food journal knows good and well that I do not only eat health food. There are cookies and ice cream and chips and hamburgers and pizza logged.

For me, calorie counting is the *only* way that I can lose weight, and when I reach my goal I will have lost 50 pounds that way.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to eat a low number of calories without being pretty deliberate about choosing filling and healthy foods. You can hit 1300 calories with one meal if you're not careful, or you could have a very delicious and satisfying day that involves a lot of veggies, lean protein and carefully measured out fats. I am sure it can be done, but it wouldn't be very fun. And diets like Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, even 21 Day Fix, all work due to CICO, but their structure means you're less likely to be hungry and feel deprived.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes, my original post say using ONLY CICO.

So, not clean eating, working out daily, etc... strictly CICO.

I lost all my weight using CICO.

I can say that even tho I did exercise...any calories I earned from exercise I ate back.

So my Goal was 1460 calories and I ate them all...then I would do my video earn 140 calories and go eat those too.

I lost 1lb a week consistently up to the 50+lbs in total.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight btw...that is for health and fitness.

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I started at 200 lbs and this morning I weighed in at 140.6. :) I counted calories, although after "getting in the groove", I stopped being super rigorous about it. Like, I never weighed food (even at the start) and now there are days I just don't log the calories at all.

However, I did need to initially count calories just to get an idea of how many calories were in what. It surprised me how many were in a flour tortilla, for example. And how few were in celery. I mean, I knew celery wouldn't have many, but dang. Nuts had far more calories than I expected. Etc.

I also did change my eating habits quite a bit, because it was easier to be satiated that way, and also because I wanted to get more nutrients. I'm not a "NO SUGAR EVER" person, but I have lowered the amount/quantity of sugar-ladened treats in my diet, I now eat fruit and veggies every day (previously I hardly touched them), and I drink protein shakes because I find it hard to hit my protein goal otherwise. Also the protein helps keep me satiated.
  • keylimepeach
    keylimepeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds in 10 months using CICO. 1200 calories most days from fruit, veg, whole grains, yogurt, cheese, nuts, olive oil, chicken, seafood...delicious and satiating...but pizza, chips, cake and wine sometimes:) No exercise due to a dislocated, shattered knee cap that's required a couple of surgeries and one more pending.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    75 lbs so far - only CICO. Took me around 8-9 months.

granted, now I am seeing your further restrictions on who you want to answer, so I will say I do run and hike - but not as a means to further lose weight, I do it because it feels better to be active and I like to set personal challenges (running)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As exercise has so many benefits in addition to aiding with weight loss, it is my firm belief that everyone capable of exercise should do some form of movement. "Exercise" is not limited to the confines of a gym. I just got back from a nice hike in the woods, am loving being in gardening season, and am greatly looking forward to swimming season.

I feel better mentally and physically when I exercise regularly, and I also sleep better. I rarely emotionally eat now that I get the happy hormones from exercise - it's a much better stress management tool for me.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    lmew91 wrote: »
    I can't provide any insight, because I've "only" lost 30 pounds. (Almost 20% of my beginning weight.)

Same here! I went from 149 to 119. A size 12 to a size 2. I'd say it significantly changed my life!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've lost 80lbs so far (out of 100). Just CICO and occasional exercise kick. As I get lighter, I enjoy being more active. But yeah. CICO.

ETA: It has taken 9 months so far.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    rnpnick wrote: »
    I do not exercise, I sit 90% of the day. I eat what I want including junk food. I do however keep my daily calorie consumption 1200-1500 a day. I started January 4, 2017 at 6'9" and 585lb. Today I am 472lb for a 113lb loss. I have much more to go but so CICO only works well.

High five!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Why are you only interested in people who have lost 60+ pounds? I've lost 53 pounds but the fact that I'm 7 pounds off your arbitrary number means my fat loss isn't valid for your purposes? A less body confident and happy person might be insulted by the implication but I choose to believe you just want to make sure your goals are reasonable.

I'm healthier now than I have ever been in my life. I have energy, happiness, and a smaller and more fit body. I use CICO daily. And if I have calories available I eat ice cream because I LIKE it and I can, so I do.

All diets are a balance of calories in compared to calories out. I eat whatever I want and lose weight because I have created a deficit. Starving people, body builders and everyone in between all use that equation every day.