Adding in AMRAPs?

Options
I started lifting at home with a modified version of Stronglifts since I'm restricted a bit with how much weight I can load on the bar. I have a barbell and some weights, that's it. I've been lifting with this program since early March, so about 12 weeks. For each exercise except the squat I use one weight for a rep range until I get to the top of the rep range, then up the weight and start at the low end of the rep range and repeat.

Since I do not have anything to rack the bar, my squat (and OHP) consists of a power clean, then push the bar overhead and onto shoulders each set. This means I cannot lift as heavy as I know I could squat if I had a rack. I intend to get a rack within the next 6 months or so, but until then I'm doing my best to progress. I want to find a way to measurably progress while keeping the weights safe. I'm thinking of incorporating AMRAPs as my last set of each or some of the exercises.

The details...
My program is a full-body 3 days per week, two week rotation A,B,A...B,A,B
A - Squats 4 sets of 15 @ 40% 1RM
Bench Press 4 sets of 7-10 @ 70% 1RM
Bent Over Row 4 sets of 6-8 @ 75% 1RM

B - Squats 4 sets of 15 @ 40% 1RM
OHP 4 sets of 4-6 @ 80-90% 1RM
Deadlift 4 sets of 4-6 @ 70% 1RM

My question is should I add AMRAPs to my squats since my weight is so low?

Other comments are welcome too.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Some of my last sets are to failure. It isn't AMRAP though since the weight is heavy.

Why don't you add in unilateral work instead? Same benefits with lighter weight.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Why not just front Squat? or if it's an option, Double Dumbbells.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That's a good one. Suitcase squats, front squats, zerchers, paused reps, unilateral, one and a half reps. There are options out there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can do a final "burnout" set amrap, but I'd take the above suggestions and perform a more difficult squat version, front, paused at the bottom, etc. And incorporate unilateral training.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I like to do either AMRAP or Drop sets on at least one different muscle group a week. When I really feel like pushing it I will do one drop set a day on a different muscle group. That way by rest day you have pushed your entire body to its limits.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ Switching to paused squats (or other variation) could be a better idea for your situation.

Adding an AMRAP could be an option, but since your reps are already quite high.. I mean... sets of 15+ just sounds miserable to me :p
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Some of my last sets are to failure. It isn't AMRAP though since the weight is heavy.

Why don't you add in unilateral work instead? Same benefits with lighter weight.

Is that like a Bulgarian split squat or something?

Yeah I started with front squats, but I just don't like them that much, but they are definitely an option to up the weight 5-10 lbs (I'd still have to power clean).
    ^ Switching to paused squats (or other variation) could be a better idea for your situation.

Adding an AMRAP could be an option, but since your reps are already quite high.. I mean... sets of 15+ just sounds miserable to me :p

Even with the lighter weight I start to tire around 8, but since I can't just rack it, the extra work it takes to put it back on the floor helps me complete the set. :p How's that for motivation!

Some good advice, I'll probably go for the unilateral work. I tried split squats are they are definitely hard.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Front squat is a good suggestion.

I would add variations of the work, before AMRAP's at high reps. The higher reps you perform the farther away from strength of a 1RM you will be benefiting from. Unless you want to be strong at 20 reps or whatever than cool:). Just keep in mind that doesn't necessarily translate into getting stronger at 1RM.

Tempo, paused, etc...are ones you can benefit from as well as shorter rest periods in between all sets.

These will give lighter weights the feel of more intensity. Also will help with form in most cases.