Days I can't exercise

Options
So I have been doing good so far on my make myself exercise journey which for me means I have to go to the pool because of my weight. Unfortunately my pool closes early today at the gym so I can't go today. This is a dumb thing, but Im feeling incredibly bad and guilty about it. I know I can't control it, but I feel somehow fatter, and I don't know just bad about it. Does anyone else have this happen to them? Is it normal to feel like this? It was such a big step for me to go to the gym...Im scared that if I stop ...I will stop permantenly. I have the same problem with dieting...if I stop a diet I dont' stop for a day....

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Do you think there's anything wrong taking a day off and instead, doing some type of mindfulness exercises?
    Maybe meal prep?
    Possibly sit down and write a few things you're grateful for?
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Chin up. Life happens! I've been there and I'm sure a lot of others here have also. One day is only one day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Think of today as a rest day and get ready to go back tomorrow
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with rest days as well. The same fears that one day will turn into two and three and significantly longer.

Its more than a test of willpower and motivation for me. I simply cannot allow it to be more than a single rest day.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It takes practice to get past "all or nothing" thinking. You don't have to be perfect to reach your goals. You do need consistency over time.

Another thing that takes practice is to divorce your feelings (as much as possible) from the weight loss process.

Food isn't good or bad, it's just there. Don't give food power over your feelings. You are in control of food rather than it being in control of you. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.

You aren't virtuous when you exercise or being bad when you can't or don't exercise. When you do exercise, you are improving your fitness. Set milestone goals for yourself. Concentrate on your fitness successes.

If you fall of the wagon with food or exercise, hop right back on at your next opportunity.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I have been doing good so far on my make myself exercise journey which for me means I have to go to the pool because of my weight. Unfortunately my pool closes early today at the gym so I can't go today. This is a dumb thing, but Im feeling incredibly bad and guilty about it. I know I can't control it, but I feel somehow fatter, and I don't know just bad about it. Does anyone else have this happen to them? Is it normal to feel like this? It was such a big step for me to go to the gym...Im scared that if I stop ...I will stop permantenly. I have the same problem with dieting...if I stop a diet I dont' stop for a day....

We all deal with all the random crappy thoughts we've picked up over the course of our lives about weight and our bodies and self esteem etc. Don't beat yourself up. One of the best things you can do on this journey is remove the moral judgements about food and exercise. What you eat and whether or not you workout does NOT determine whether you are a good person. Everyone has days they skip the workout or hoover down the pint of ice cream. What counts is what you do most of the time.

So. Much. This. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's one day--don't be too hard on yourself. The important thing is that you go back when it's open again.

That being said--is there something else you can do on the days when the pool closes early so that you don't beat yourself up about it? Even going for a walk is good for your body/good for your mind...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, smell the roses! Hugs
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I have found that pre-logging really helps me. I worked 11 hours today, outside, and put in some 20k steps. I did NOT want to go do my strength training! But because it was already in MFP it was like I'd committed to it. So I did it! (I did leave out the cardio.)

Tomorrow I'll work at least 13 hours. So I'm going to schedule my next exercises for Sunday and I'm going to log them tonight.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your rest day or you can always go for a walk outside .