5K and 10K together?

Options
Hello everyone,

So I've been running for the last couple months and I finally completed my first 5K. I have schedule my first 10K for October (I'm in my mid 30s) which gives me enough time to train (I am using the ZenLabs 10K app btw). The thing, though, is that the day before my 10K I enrolled in a Terrain Obstacle 5K race, so I was wondering if it's too ambitious for me to try to run a 5K on Saturday and a 10K on Sunday (in October). Have anyone done something similar? I appreciate any input. Just for the record I wasn't paying attention when I enrolled on both races. I'm doing the terrain race with friends and the 10K is in my bucket list before my birthday.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've run a half marathon on Saturday and another half marathon the next day a few times. Maybe not adviceable if you train for just one.

Running 5k is pretty standard training for 10k though maybe not at full speed the day before. Take it at a speed that you are comfortable and enjoy the experience!

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I've run a half marathon on Saturday and another half marathon the next day a few times. Maybe not adviceable if you train for just one.

Running 5k is pretty standard training for 10k though maybe not at full speed the day before. Take it at a speed that you are comfortable and enjoy the experience!

Two halfs in consecutive days, wow, that's impressive. My main goal is the 10K because I'm thinking that the terrain race 5K will be more fun than anything else. I just don't want to push it too much.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't see a short 5k race as putting much of a damper on a 10k, especially if you don't run it full out.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Depends on how well conditioned you are, how hard you run the 5K, and how hard you want to run the 10K.

Extreme example, there's a local event called the Lilac Run. It has a 5K that starts at 8:00 and a 10K that starts at 9:15. You can register for both, and a few runners do. In theory, I could have done that and used the 5K as a warm up for the 10K. In practice, I didn't because the 10K was an important race to run well, the 5K was meaningless, and I didn't trust myself to hold to a warm up pace in a race environment.

I still would have finished the 10K, but I probably wouldn't have run it as fast if I'd run the 5K even as a "B" race an hour earlier.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on running or racing?

My training runs often have a 4.5mile run the day before the long run (up to 20 miles) so its completely doable if you are only running and are trained for it. Racing is a completely different beast.
  • ABabilonia
    Options

My training runs often have a 4.5mile run the day before the long run (up to 20 miles) so its completely doable if you are only running and are trained for it. Racing is a completely different beast.

Definitely running. This will be my first 5K, so I just want to complete the race running, if possible

@MobyCarp your post remind me of my last 5K where runners were running two miles to the starting line. Pretty impressive. I was trying to conserve energy because it was my first 5K while more experienced runners were super prepared for the race.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

Definitely running. This will be my first 5K, so I just want to complete the race running, if possible

@MobyCarp your post remind me of my last 5K where runners were running two miles to the starting line. Pretty impressive. I was trying to conserve energy because it was my first 5K while more experienced runners were super prepared for the race.

@ABabilonia - I think you meant this will be your first 10K, and you've run at least one 5K before. I'm not surprised by the two mile warmup. It's traditional that the shorter the race, the longer the warmup. For a 5K, I like to do a preview of the course as a warmup if possible. That way I get familiar with where the inclines and declines are, take note of where I need to pay attention to good tangents, and get very familiar with how the race ends. So when the idiot spectator says, "You're almost done!" and there's still 1000 meters to run, I know to ignore them.

BTW: Never believe a spectator who says you're almost done. They're all liars. It was a comical lie at mile 3 of my first half marathon, and a cruel lie at mile 10 of my first half marathon. And it's a cruel lie 4K into a 5K that you're trying to run hard.

• JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine. Don't think to much into it. Just have a fun weekend and listen to your body.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would not do it. I opt for a very slow and short recovery run the day after a race. The 10K sounds like a long term goal for you, your first, I would not jeopardize your performance with an obstacle trail race. It's not a smart idea. I usually don't run 5ks, I prefer longer races, but I still put in maximum effort regardless and I am worn out the next day. I understand how addicting racing can be and how much fun it is signing up for races but you are better off spacing them out. I don't even race on consecutive weeks.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I would not do it. I opt for a very slow and short recovery run the day after a race. The 10K sounds like a long term goal for you, your first, I would not jeopardize your performance with an obstacle trail race. It's not a smart idea. I usually don't run 5ks, I prefer longer races, but I still put in maximum effort regardless and I am worn out the next day. I understand how addicting racing can be and how much fun it is signing up for races but you are better off spacing them out. I don't even race on consecutive weeks.

Thanks for the advice, yes, my ultimate long term goal is the 10K. I will most likely skip the terrain race ifi don't feel prepared for both races.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@ABabilonia - I think you meant this will be your first 10K, and you've run at least one 5K before. I'm not surprised by the two mile warmup. It's traditional that the shorter the race, the longer the warmup. For a 5K, I like to do a preview of the course as a warmup if possible. That way I get familiar with where the inclines and declines are, take note of where I need to pay attention to good tangents, and get very familiar with how the race ends. So when the idiot spectator says, "You're almost done!" and there's still 1000 meters to run, I know to ignore them.

BTW: Never believe a spectator who says you're almost done. They're all liars. It was a comical lie at mile 3 of my first half marathon, and a cruel lie at mile 10 of my first half marathon. And it's a cruel lie 4K into a 5K that you're trying to run hard.

At my last half someone shouted 'you're nearly there!' at mile 6.... idiot!!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    is that the day before my 10K I enrolled in a Terrain Obstacle 5K race, so I was wondering if it's too ambitious for me to try to run a 5K on Saturday and a 10K on Sunday (in October). Have anyone done something similar?

A lot of my training has long runs back to back, the discipline of going out on tired legs is a good one.

An obstacle course isn't a 5K run, you'll probably find that you spend a reasonable proportion of the time not running. With the 10K being your goal, just be conscious of moderating your pace.

fwiw I've done two 10Ks and a Half Marathon over two days, a 10K the day after a marathon, a 10K four hours after finishing a marathon and later this year I have a marathon the day after a 50K. With all of them it's a case of stewarding the energy, and recognising that you'll take time to loosen up.