opinions?

Options
I was in an accident last year, since than i have not been able to lose a single pound no matter how much i exercise or how healthy i eat, i was reading online and i found an article about how sometimes adrenilne can continue to run through your body and make it difficult to sleep and lose weight. what do you guys think?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has to do with how much you eat. If you were counting calories with as close to 100% accuracy as possible and still not losing then that could be an issue. But I would work on the deficit you have first.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight loss has to do with how much you eat. If you were counting calories with as close to 100% accuracy as possible and still not losing then that could be an issue. But I would work on the deficit you have first.

This^^^. Get accurate with your calorie counting first and after 4 to 6 weeks, if you gave not lost any weight, make an appointment with your doctor.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    melted_ wrote: »
    I was in an accident last year, since than i have not been able to lose a single pound no matter how much i exercise or how healthy i eat

Eating healthfully is good for your nutrition but weight loss is about overall calorie balance. You need to consume fewer calories than your body uses in order to lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    But adrenaline isn't still elevated at one year post-accident. If it is, you have a bigger problem than weight loss. I don't think you can blame adrenaline at this point.

Sleep is definitely important, though. If you have anxiety and/or depression, that will also affect sleep, hormones, and weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Read up on the effects of the hormone, cortisol.

I can't think of anything other than tightening up on your portions regardless.
  • melted_
    melted_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    But adrenaline isn't still elevated at one year post-accident. If it is, you have a bigger problem than weight loss. I don't think you can blame adrenaline at this point.

Sleep is definitely important, though. If you have anxiety and/or depression, that will also affect sleep, hormones, and weight loss.

for the past months i havent been able to sleep more than 2 -4 hours a night but i dont feel stressed maybe a little axiety and depression tho... i would go to the doctor but my health care is expensive and literal *kitten* because of obama care
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's still a matter of calories in vs calories out. If you're not losing, you eat a little less. If after a few weeks you haven't lost anything, lower your calories a little bit. It's literally the science of physics and the transfer of energy. There is no ailment possible that can prevent someone from losing weight. None. A calorie is a unit of energy.

Can we ask how much you weigh, your height, and how many calories you've been eating? Do you have a food diary you can open to look at ?
  • melted_
    Options
    It's still a matter of calories in vs calories out. If you're not losing, you eat a little less. If after a few weeks you haven't lost anything, lower your calories a little bit. It's literally the science of physics and the transfer of energy. There is no ailment possible that can prevent someone from losing weight. None. A calorie is a unit of energy.

Can we ask how much you weigh, your height, and how many calories you've been eating? Do you have a food diary you can open to look at ?

i have never had problems losing weight. i eat 1,000 calories a day, walk in the morning 4-5 miles then when my day is over i jog 1 or 2 miles on my tredmill. this is just so frustrating. my food diary is on fitbit app im mostly vegitarian but still eat chicken from time to time i weight 190 and im 5'7
  • melted_
    Options
    the only cheat day i have is at most once a week and my calories never go over 1,600
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OP if I'm reading correctly you are saying you are eating 1000 cals plus exercising on top of it and not losing. There are really only 2 options

1. You are eating more than you think. Are you using a food scale? Have you double checked the entries you are using on Fitbit are accurate? Are you logging everything, including beverages, cooking oils, packaged food?

2. There is a medical issue affecting your energy balance. Which is a serious problem, because if you are really only eating 1000 cals plus exercising, you are most likely not getting enough nutrients, protein, and fat your body needs.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Adrenaline is an easy diagnostic, but if you have continued spikes for this long, you'd be posting this from an emergency room.

You are simply eating more than you think you are or not moving as much as you think you are. Open up your diary and have someone conduct an audit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Adrenaline is an easy diagnostic, but if you have continued spikes for this long, you'd be posting this from an emergency room.

You are simply eating more than you think you are or not moving as much as you think you are. Open up your diary and have someone conduct an audit.

lol, I read that as, "Have someone contact an adult." : :lol:

@melted_ - There is no way you are eating less than 1000, doing all that exercise and not losing weight. Not possible. You're eating more than you think, you aren't exercising that much or you're a unicorn.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you think you still have adrenaline spikes and you're also having trouble sleeping, you could have ptsd. That would cause all sorts of problems with memory and concentrationcwhich would impair your ability to accurately log your calories. Accidents are a common cause of ptsd. It might be something to look into.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sleeping 2-4 hours a night could also contribute to memory issues, making harder for OP to accurately record what she's eating
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    The sleep thing sound like another problem, though. I dint think op is choosing to sleep so little. So, if the insomnia is causing the food logging problems, we would still need to find what's causing the insomnia.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie intake can cause insomnia (been there, don't want to return).
  • nokanjaijo
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You think this person is eating so few calories that it's causing insomnia but not few enough to lose weight?