Hard time starting.. need some motivation

Options
I've become so miserable with how i look since I graduated high school 3 years ago. I've stayed up late the last few nights researching everything I can about low carb diets and keto. My brother-in-law has lost over 100 pounds from low carb dieting and I've been wanting to start a low carb diet. I'm 5'3", 195 pounds. My goal is to weigh 135 pounds. That's around how much I have to weigh to join the military and that's my #1 goal right now.

I have terrible late night cravings and find myself binging ridiculously. I stress eat, and have a hard time staying away from food, as I find comfort in eating. I don't know how to stop this and stick to a diet.

How do I get the ball rolling and stay on track? I have the motivation but I cave so easily that I can barely start on my own.

What did you do when you started a low carb/keto diet??

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I didn't successfully lose weight (25kgs) and keep it off until the desire to lose weight became more than the desire to comfort eat. Initially I got rid of any food in my house I didn't want to eat regularly - like if I wanted chocolate, I had to make a trip to get it, it was planned for, and not just available to grab and shovel in mindlessly.

I probably wouldn't have been successful having a restrictive diet at the same time though... There's no need to do low carb /keto, all you need to do is be in a calorie deficit.
  • BlondeandBlue28
    BlondeandBlue28 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you need an accountability friend, feel free to add me ☺
  • imjia
    imjia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think doing keto is not the best option for you right now. You should set smaller goals at first and work up from there. I did keto but found it very restrictive at first so gave up. But then i started eating healthy in general, added more vegetables to my diet, monitored everything, ate on set times and started cutting my carbs from there and increased my protein and fat intake.. its more doable when you transition slowly.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You have a good goal and that's a nice place to start. Start an exercise program such as bodyweight training and add some type of cardio but picking something you will enjoy. Start out by making small changes to your diet. For example, some days I might drink 3 Cokes in a day; now I drink one or none. Add me if u like and I can give u some more tips.