Hey, I'm a student!

SultanV
SultanV Posts: 4 Member
Hey there,

So I'm a student in my second year of university, and this morning I decided to wake up and go to the gym because I'm 'technically' obese, I lost that motivation during the hour it took for me to properly 'wake up' so I searched the internet for help and found this site.

I'm also very confused because when I went to make an account here it said my email was already in use, I have no memory of this site, however it has my usual username and my password was correct. My age is wrong and it initially said I was from Wales!

But all that aside, I need help, please. I need advice on how to eat around exercise, I don't want to buy powders or weird milkshakes or pills, but at the rate I've been gaining weight will end up with diabetes before I hit 25.

I did a dairy and meat free diet around Feb-March 2016, I only had fish as my protein and I ended up losing about 10lbs in 2.5 weeks. Then I went abroad and started filling up on meats and dairy again, and now I'm bigger than before.

I'll answer any questions that can get me some help. So please, fire away! :smiley:

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    The good news is you don't need to make it complicated. You don't need to worry specifically about eating around exercise, or consuming shakes/supplements. You don't need to restrict certain foods, unless you have medical reason to do so.

You simply need to eat less calories than you burn. This will help you lose weight. Of course, exercise will help you be healthy and have better body composition, and choosing nutrient dense foods most of the time is the best idea.

Have you put your (correct) stats in to the app to get a calorie goal for weight loss (at a sensible rate... Fast is not necessarily a good idea)?

Id start by spending some time logging your normal intake. See how it looks compared to the recommendations - use the info to tweak portion sizes, food varieties etc.

Get a scale - it may sound tedious, but weighing all solids, and measuring all your liquids will make your journey so much easier.

Good luck!
  • SultanV
    SultanV Posts: 4 Member
    The good news is you don't need to make it complicated. You don't need to worry specifically about eating around exercise, or consuming shakes/supplements. You don't need to restrict certain foods, unless you have medical reason to do so.

You simply need to eat less calories than you burn. This will help you lose weight. Of course, exercise will help you be healthy and have better body composition, and choosing nutrient dense foods most of the time is the best idea.

Have you put your (correct) stats in to the app to get a calorie goal for weight loss (at a sensible rate... Fast is not necessarily a good idea)?

Id start by spending some time logging your normal intake. See how it looks compared to the recommendations - use the info to tweak portion sizes, food varieties etc.

Get a scale - it may sound tedious, but weighing all solids, and measuring all your liquids will make your journey so much easier.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I adjusted them just after I posted, I believe I opted for the .75 option so it shouldn't be that bad.

What I'm really scared of though is the 'flabbiness' I whenever I lose a bit of weight, I've read and had people say to me certain pills are good for that with sit ups etc but I'm the type of person who pretty much cant take anything such as a capsule or large pill.

I'm off to the gym soon so may start the whole calorie thing today, thanks again!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    No pills will help with flabbiness. Sit ups won't help with flabbiness. Losing fat will help with flabbiness, and that comes from being in a deficit.

As you lose weight, you will lose both fat and muscle. Minimising the muscle loss will help you look better when you are leaner.... This comes from eating sufficient protein and doing some resistance training (get a program to follow if you can - there's heaps of great resources on here!)