New to MFP but not to dieting :(

Options
nlwrfa
nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
edited June 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I'm hoping this is the time that I'm able to finally lose the weight I so desperately need to. I'm nearly 330 pounds, and I need to be around 200 for a healthy weight (i'm 6'1). I'm always tired, I'm afraid of what my life will be if I don't lose the weight, and I'm afraid that I'll fail yet again to lose the weight. I've tried weight watchers (it's not for me), I've tried Nutrisystem (worked but I got so sick of eating the same thing), and now this will be my first attempt with myfitnesspal. I'm hoping to find the motivation I need so much and the energy to drag myself to the gym... or even to walk. Hopefully the energy will come once it becomes a regular thing. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi, all the posts I've read so far seem very encouraging and motivating, and I hope we all succeed in our adventures to a better us.

Replies

• lalalemon00
    lalalemon00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You got this! It's not going to be easy but you can totally do it!
  • GirlGettingFit37
    GirlGettingFit37 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! Just take it one meal at a time and track everything. That was the game changer for me.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! It takes a while to make changes so be kind with yourself and do the best you can!
  • Echoing123
    Echoing123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you can do this, just stay focused and log everything. I know it isn't easy to make yourself exercise but only you can do it :smiley: I used to hate my walks was very painful in the beginning and wow I felt like I couldn't breath it is so much easier 2 months 2 weeks in and 25lbs later still carrying over 80 excess weight before I reach my goal but it is easier and it is working. You can do it! Anyways welcome aboard and my you find great success this time around.
  • nlwrfa
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully this works just by tracking here... 1900 calories seems like it's a lot when I've set it to lose 2 pounds a week.. but hopefully it'll be easier to transition to after eating medium pizza by myself... or a dozen donuts and not be starving. Question... bought a food scale.. to weigh meat to track... do you weigh raw weight or cooked weight? Thanks!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting with the food scale!

I weigh meat raw when possible. Just be sure you are using the correct database entry (there are entries for both raw and cooked).

But don't just weigh your meat, weigh everything. Even pre-packaged items can be off on their weights.

This thread is really helpful http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • nlwrfa
    Options
    Thanks RainWA. I'm committed to seeing this through... first goal is to just get out of the 300's which is 25 pounds away. I'm thinking 2 months for that. fingers crossed. and weighing food is what it'll take! Thanks for posting that link.. very helpful. I'm just glad I can eat red meat here and it not be the death of me (i'm anemic and have to eat steak.. darn :D )
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My great-grandmother had a saying: "If the roast is too big to eat, chop it in half. (She was always thin as a rail...) In other words, take it one piece at a time. It sounds to me like you have reasonable goals, though 10+lbs/month is pretty aggressive from where I sit. :)

As long as the scale goes down, you're doing well. The destination matters less than where you are right now. You've lost the weight before...many of us have...how will you keep it off this time? It's not an easy answer, but it's a simple one: you'll become a different person on the way to 200 than you were at 330, as long as you allow that to happen. Embrace the changes, and make as many of them permanent as you can. Then maintenance will be easier. :) Good luck!
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You got this! When I started I set my exercise goal as I will walk 2 times a day. I didn't set a time or a distance because I was super out of shape. In the beginning it was just around the block but I starting building that habit and that mindset and as that got easier I went further for longer. Keep it simple!