Is Whey Protein Powder a waste of money?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    all for the mere hope of increasing muscle size.

i would like to think that most people who train seriously are aware that drinking protein doesnt actually GIVE you muscle....

that being said, a friend of mine once told me that the reason i didnt look like the insanity girls after my first round was because i didnt drink shakeology.... ok, yeah , people are stupid!
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I find whey protein useful to supplement my diet when I'm not hitting my protein goals.

If I decide to have something other than meat for a main meal I usually cant hit my protein goals, so I will have a protein shake to make up for it that day.

I don't have them everyday but its more convenient than going out and buying and then cooking a chicken breast and eating it when when you're not even in the mood for chicken and cant calorically afford much else but need the protein.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Because I am new to this I appreciate all the viewpoints & banter back & forth about what is sufficient & what isn't.

It was mentioned in my current course "Nutrition & Physical Activity for Health" that the body can only utilize 20 g of protein at a time...the rest is waste.

Here's another viewpoint from my class blog to think about:
    They lack all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients from regular foods all for the mere hope of increasing muscle size. Athletes are the hardest people to convince because they see n increase in muscle size but don't realize that it's from all the hard work they put into their workouts and NOT the protein.

Again, I agree with the mere fact that whey powder is ok if you are short on protein but eat healthy otherwise. One cannot survive on blended whey protein drinks alone....although that would be SOO much easier!

Get a refund.

Protein adsorption from a meal is a multi hour process. This 20 g number is a crock. Simple protein absorption from the gut varies from 1 g per hour for egg whites to 10 g per hour for whey isolates.

Bioavailabilty from drinking a whey drink is demonstrated from a maximum serum AA level 4 hrs after ingestion. 4 hrs.
    http://www.jissn.com/content/5/1/10

No one is suggesting eating only whey drinks.

There isn't a EXCESS protein storage system like there is for fat but free extracellular protein in the liver and blood exceeds 30-50 g. Plus cellular protein uptake potential is in the excess of 50g per hour.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Because I am new to this I appreciate all the viewpoints & banter back & forth about what is sufficient & what isn't.

It was mentioned in my current course "Nutrition & Physical Activity for Health" that the body can only utilize 20 g of protein at a time...the rest is waste.

Here's another viewpoint from my class blog to think about:
    They lack all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients from regular foods all for the mere hope of increasing muscle size. Athletes are the hardest people to convince because they see n increase in muscle size but don't realize that it's from all the hard work they put into their workouts and NOT the protein.

Again, I agree with the mere fact that whey powder is ok if you are short on protein but eat healthy otherwise. One cannot survive on blended whey protein drinks alone....although that would be SOO much easier!

Get a refund.

Protein adsorption from a meal is a multi hour process. This 20 g number is a crock. Simple protein absorption from the gut varies from 1 g per hour for egg whites to 10 g per hour for whey isolates.

Bioavailabilty from drinking a whey drink is demonstrated from a maximum serum AA level 4 hrs after ingestion. 4 hrs.
    http://www.jissn.com/content/5/1/10

No one is suggesting eating only whey drinks.

There isn't a EXCESS protein storage system like there is for fat but free extracellular protein in the liver and blood exceeds 30-50 g. Plus cellular protein uptake potential is in the excess of 50g per hour.

I'm questioning that statement as well. The body can only absorb 20 grams at a time? Is this suppose to be regardless of gender/weight? And what is "at a time", like what if I sip my protein shake over 10, 30, or 60, minutes?

But yes, obviously it's always better to get your nutrients from food, but some of us can't reach those goals through diet alone, hence why we call them "supplements".
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ok, is whey protein a waste? Maybe to you.

Whey protein is a suppliment. Key word Suppliment. At 6'1 220lbs, I aim to eat a 2,000 calorie diet daily. The System (MFP) recommends that I get at least 80 to 100 g of protein a day, depending on workout, which I do most days. But I am seldom at 150g. So to me a Whey shake makes sense to suppliment my diet, especially to start the day or right after a workout where I may not be eating for a couple of hours, points where my body maynot be getting any protein.

On top of that most shakes seem to have fewer calories that eating some forms of fruit. If your diet gets you 150g, then more power to you, mine does not, so a suppliment helps.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is cheap and useful.

I'd eat a 24oz steak three times a day instead of taking a shot of whey if I was rich and self employed.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 70 days tomorrow and I've met my protein goal once. I'm not even bulking, I just don't like foods that are high in protein except peanut butter and cottage cheese. I eat meat usually once a day, but never in large amounts. Would whey powder be a good idea for me?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I'm kind of lost here. Basically the point im trying to get across is,

I am hearing powdered whey protein doesn't work. But getting protein the natural way is more efficient.

Whey is a natural source of protein. It's skimmed off of milk and dehydrated into a powder. If you were to drink milk directly from a cow, you would be drinking both milk and whey.

Not sure how dehydration turns it into a "non-whole" food. If that is the case, then raisins, prunes, and beef jerky could not be considered "whole" food.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    waste of money? Whey is the cheapest source of protein I've found
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    What about Whey protein isn't "natural."

1 scoop (25 grams of protein) right after a work out keeps me from pigging on everything available until I have a chance to prepare a proper meal.

So, for me, it's not a waste of money. YMMV
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Some of us can't get it all from food...

Agreed.
    I get it where I can take it. I don't eat meat and would have to eat a fukton of broccoli to get enough protein.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    so much broscience... I give up.

Oh wait... that's right...

Go get a source that isn't a crock of ****. Wikipedia IS part of the 'crock of **** '.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 70 days tomorrow and I've met my protein goal once. I'm not even bulking, I just don't like foods that are high in protein except peanut butter and cottage cheese. I eat meat usually once a day, but never in large amounts. Would whey powder be a good idea for me?

If you like it, yes. A lot of powders can be bland or chalky... but there are good brands. I only ever buy Optimum Nutrition, which is tasty... I've heard good things about Trutein as well.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The only whey I can see whey being a wheyste of money is if you keep eating whey too much over your calorie goal and don't workout.

if you can't all of your protein food, then use whey protein to supplement, lift weights, and eat a calorie deficit. Don't forget to whey yourself and track progress.

I think you and your friend are whey overthinking this.
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't get enough protein from my regular diet. I use my protein shakes to supplement my protein intake.

Not a waste of money if you need it.

I actually use a whey/casein blend.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    How is whey protein not food? I want that question answered before this thread can continue.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Wait. People take Yahoo! Answers seriously?
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I am hearing powdered whey protein doesn't work. But getting protein the natural way is more efficient.

protein is protein. regardless of source
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I think the OP had a typo, he meant WEIGHING protein is a waste of time.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

protein is protein. regardless of source

Unless you're one of those rare folks who eats from a sole protein source devoid of certain amino acids. Extremely rare though.