Lifting

Hey everyone! I am new to lifting and I am having a hard time finding what works. When I go to the gym, I find myself doing random things. My goals consist of toning, adding lean muscle, and glute building. I have 2 kids (2 years and 7 months). My lower abs are really flabby and I would like to get rid of that as well. Any advice on a routine or a meal plan would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• michelegraysonbay
    michelegraysonbay Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Your goals are all over the place. Toning is not really a "thing". You can lost fat to reveal muscle, you can gain fat and muscle in a surplus. Pick a goal, pick a program.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Following a program will give you better results in less time than doing random exercises will. Here's a great list of programs to choose from:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

2nd this.

Find a program that suits you/schedule and eat in a small deficit and you will you see results according to your goals. Just have patience :).
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Following a program will give you better results in less time than doing random exercises will. Here's a great list of programs to choose from:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

2nd this.

Find a program that suits you/schedule and eat in a small deficit and you will you see results according to your goals. Just have patience :).

Also recommend this. I would steer you towards Stronglifts. Your goals of "toning", "adding lean muscle" & "glute building" will be achieved using this program to start. It's only three days per week full body, so it's very efficient.

You're goal of losing belly fat will only be achieved by being in a calorie deficit. If you eat at maintenance and do stronglifts, you should be on your way. Expect any results to be at least 6-12 weeks away, but do not change course by changing programs. Only change course by progressive overloading the weights or adjusting your calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

2nd this.

Also recommend this. I would steer you towards Stronglifts. Your goals of "toning", "adding lean muscle" & "glute building" will be achieved using this program to start. It's only three days per week full body, so it's very efficient.

You're goal of losing belly fat will only be achieved by being in a calorie deficit. If you eat at maintenance and do stronglifts, you should be on your way. Expect any results to be at least 6-12 weeks away, but do not change course by changing programs. Only change course by progressive overloading the weights or adjusting your calories.

The one thing I'd recommend since her goal is glute building is that StrongCurves would provide greater volume for lower body specific exercise as compared to SL.