Diet/Vegan Questains and support

Options
Hi(:
im thinking about going half vegetarian honestly i don't know the difference between vegan and vegetarian.
Anyways I am wondering if this is healthy to eat all of the time
Black beans,brown beans,chicken,brown rice(not every day just once in awhile), a lot of fruits and vegetables, tofu,tuna.
I have been looking up vegan recipes but i feel like i wont get my protein in but i know it is very healthy and i do not eat breads or drink soda or any junk food i have been completely clean eating for two months now. i am just asking if this would be beneficial and this is something i should do. I do eat venison and chicken i stay away from cow meat but i do want to try some turkey burgers.
I really just need some support I dont get any from friends and family they dont understand im only 129lbs and 5'1 but my weight has always been an issue for me i started purging in January and purged for four months straight and my whole body ached and felt like total crap. Okaayy well thanks to anyone who is reading this and i really hope to get a supportive response(:

Replies

• xXWisconsin
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot i am really trying not to get into counting calories now i have done it for two months and its driving me crazy! I just want to focus on exercising and having a better mind set for everything and well making sure my food is clean eating and healthy
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians don't eat anything that had a mother-no fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc.

Vegan's don't eat any animal products- so in addition to not eating the foods, above, they eat no dairy or eggs.

You can get protein as a vegan from nuts, beans, lentils etc.

I enjoy eating a lot of fruits and vegetables in as close to their natural state as possible. That is, fresh, no heavy dressings and sauces. If you eat that way you can eat a lot more than you can if you focus on pastas and breads.

Good luck! Drink lots of water, try to move your body every day, and enjoy life!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hi(:
    im thinking about going half vegetarian honestly i don't know the difference between vegan and vegetarian.
    Anyways I am wondering if this is healthy to eat all of the time
    Black beans,brown beans,chicken,brown rice(not every day just once in awhile), a lot of fruits and vegetables, tofu,tuna.
    I have been looking up vegan recipes but i feel like i wont get my protein in but i know it is very healthy and i do not eat breads or drink soda or any junk food i have been completely clean eating for two months now. i am just asking if this would be beneficial and this is something i should do. I do eat venison and chicken i stay away from cow meat but i do want to try some turkey burgers.
    I really just need some support I dont get any from friends and family they dont understand im only 129lbs and 5'1 but my weight has always been an issue for me i started purging in January and purged for four months straight and my whole body ached and felt like total crap. Okaayy well thanks to anyone who is reading this and i really hope to get a supportive response(:

First, being a vegetarian or vegan does not automatically mean you'll be healthy or not over-weight. Browse some vegetarian/vegan forums and you'll quickly notice that there are many who are struggling with their weight and many of them eat highly processed foods. Becoming a vegetarian is NOT a weight loss plan per se. Just wanted to get that out there, so you don't make a common mistake that a lot of people make, by thinking vegetarian=automatic weight loss. You can definitely be a healthy eating vegetarian, but it's a process and it takes some planning. I'm in the beginning stages of it myself and I'm focusing on eating whole foods with lots of veggies, fruit, some grains and beans and then a minimal amount of eggs and dairy (and those are on the way out).

Second-if you're still eating fish and chicken you're not a vegetarian. Vegetarian means NO meat products at all, though they can still eat eggs and dairy products. Vegans take it a step further and do not use ANY animal products, including by-products. That means no honey, leather, makeup used with animal by-products etc etc. It's more of a lifestyle philosophy for animal rights, than a way of eating.

Protein-I've been looking into this a lot over the past few days and I've come to the conclusion that since I'm not a hard core gym user or training for a marathon, I'm ok with following the CDC's protein recommendation of 46 grams a day for my age
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html
    Yesterday I hit 65 grams without even trying, the day before I was at 48 grams. So I'm actually going over my protein as a vegetarian :)