Kimchi

Options
MelanieCN77
MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
Kimchi rice, anyone? A little cup of minute rice and some quick sautéed veggies with chopped up kimchi - maybe stick an egg on it. I had ground turkey and added that in yesterday, maybe some tofu tonight. What flavour profiles work with it do you think?

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love kimchi. Nothing to add, just wanted to say I love kimchi. If you've never had it, try it. It changes your palette and makes food taste so amazing.

My favorite food combo in the world right now is spicy kimchi and a cup of black coffee. It makes the coffee taste like mocha.

Also goes amazing on a burger without cheese.... kimchi.... so amaze. much wow. very taste.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    luv kimchi, recently learned how to make it. But I almost never cook rice since I've been dieting.

I like steel cut oats with eggs and kimchi for breakfast!. I have made kimchi soup with some rice thrown in, makes for a great lunch leftover.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Love Kimchi, rice, egg and chicken. Or beef. Or no meat at all. It's the kimchi and rice that gets me! Yummmmm !!
  • pinkpigiampig
    pinkpigiampig Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kimchi fans here. Luv kimchi with traditional rice and dishes
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I add it to my egg casserole (roasted vegetable and eggs) every morning. First time I tried it I didn't like it at all but wanted to give it a real shot for the health benefits. Now, if I don't have it, I miss it.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Love kimchi and have been making my own for awhile. I've recently tried making kkakdugi, which is kimchi using cubed radish instead of cabbage, and it came out great. We eat kimchi as a side dish with just about everything.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to make Kimchi without all the salt? Miso, Kimchi- among most Asian sauces have so much sodium and I 'blow up' like a balloon after consuming them...although I love them...

If you have a way - do tell!
  • JetJaguar
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Is it possible to make Kimchi without all the salt?

Probably not, since salt is a key component for the fermentation process. Although the way we make kimchi, the cabbage is drained and rinsed after the initial brine soak, which I assume would reduce sodium somewhat.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Dumb question but can I make kimchi using american cabbage and radish?
  • JetJaguar
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself but yes, that would probably work. Although, Napa cabbage is the traditional kind to use and you can usually find that in an ordinary supermarket.
  • knipeanne97
    knipeanne97 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hm sounds like you made bibimbap which is easier than kimchi fried rice. If you have access to pepper paste (kochujang) and sesame oil (optional but good) its very tasty to mix with lean beef, zuchinni carrots, spinach, cucumber, beansprouts, and even kimchi. But be careful because the paste is already seasoned. An egg ontop is how its usually served and you mix in the yolk. When im lazy though i drain a can of tuna. Most dont add tofu to it. But if you do, i reccomend a small amount of silken or soft tofu since its easy to break apart. And ground turkey is pretty rare too but it sounds great haha.
  • knipeanne97
    Options
    Dumb question but can I make kimchi using american cabbage and radish?

Actually i really don't reccomend it. You are welcome to try, but regular cabbage is really dry compared to nappa cabbage which is much thicker as well. You may end up oversalting it because the salt is used to get rid of the liquid in the cabbage and make it "wilt" being korean it doesnt sound good to me haha but hey, I never tried regular cabbage that way. However, if you need other alternatives, cucumber and chives go very well together and requires less salt and way less fermentation. If you use vinegar it will last longer than sesame oil. But be careful it cant last five years like cabbage haha
  • knipeanne97
    Options
    Is it possible to make Kimchi without all the salt? Miso, Kimchi- among most Asian sauces have so much sodium and I 'blow up' like a balloon after consuming them...although I love them...

You can try to make cucumber kimchi there's way less salt in it and its super easy and quick. I posted a bit more on someone elses post. Oh but dont use the dark green english cucumbers. Use the tiny pale ones that are already like the size of pickles. No need to peel them but you can
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

You can try to make cucumber kimchi there's way less salt in it and its super easy and quick. I posted a bit more on someone elses post. Oh but dont use the dark green english cucumbers. Use the tiny pale ones that are already like the size of pickles. No need to peel them but you can

Would like to try this method. Can you forward the other posting so I can try it out.
    Thanks!