Salt - cooking pasta.

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    7sorok wrote: »
    Thank you everybody, but I feel extremely happy with 1600-1800mg/day. I do not stress if it goes higher - so be it. The question was: how much salt cooked pasta retains. When I cook pasta let say in 1qt of water and add 1tsp of salt, I definitely can taste it as too much. I figure that my body doesn't need this much salt. That's it. The amount of 1600-1800mg is being calculated by MFP.

It seems like majoring in the minors, but I googled it and came up with this interesting article: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8903-how-much-sodium-does-salted-cooking-water-add-to-pasta

"Give or take a few milligrams of sodium, all the shapes absorbed about the same amount of salt: 1/16 teaspoon per 4-ounce serving or a total of 1/4 teaspoon per pound of pasta. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend less than 2,300 milligrams daily for people under 51 and less than 1,500 milligrams for those 51 and older, so even if you are watching your sodium intake, the amount pasta actually absorbs is so small that it’s probably not an issue."
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks lemurcat12, that's the answer I was looking for. I also goggled the question (dah!) and on another site I found that about 3% is being absorbed. So, if I cook with 1 tsp of salt, it's about 75mg of Na to add to my recipe. That's it. Case is closed.