Normal calories but high fat

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I started maintenance this week and while I'm finding it easy enough to stay within my calorie limit I can be over my fat limit for the day by 10-20g. I have read on a lot of posts that it's all about the calories but if I'm within my calories but over in terms of fat, will this cause me to gain weight?

Thank in advance!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fat has 9 calories per gram, as opposed to carbs and protein which have 4 calories per gram. But it doesn't mean that those calories count double. A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from.
  • Nicholas_39
    Nicholas_39 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's all about calories as far as weight control goes. From a weight maintenance standpoint, only calories in and calories out matter. With that being said, you should still try to eat healthy food in order to benefit your health. Exact macros don't matter that much for health AFAIK, though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The fat goal is a recommended minimum.... We need fat for good health. Going over is fine, and as long as you stick to your calories you'll maintain
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you're within your limit you won't gain weight not mattering if you have a high fat diet, people on keto diet are a very good example of this.

Saturated fats can be dangerous and increase risk of heart disease but if your nutrition is in check you don't have to worry.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat 30-40% of my calories from fat and I'm at my high school weight again.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    IMO- if the fat/protein/carb ratio you eat are causing satiety and you continue to maintain, keep at it. Finding that sweet spot is a big part of maintenance.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Were you using this app during weight loss? I'm surprised this is the first time the question came up. Never been over fat before?

Fat is good for you. You're fine.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Some of my favorite days are when I'm over my fat target. That is so because those are the days I feel satisfied with my food. Today's not one of them, and it's not over yet, but It's still been a good day for other reasons.