So, uh... why do strangers keep telling me "good job" while running?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm assuming I must look like a complete idiot while I'm running or something that people are saying this to me, but maybe it's common?

I have been running (well, jogging, my pace is still slow, I can jog 13 minute mile for an hour plus, still working on speed), I've been at this for about a month now.

A bunch of times on the bike path strangers (some running, some not) have said, "good job" and "you're doing great", and "keep going!" the other day I ran on a track at a high school, and people, complete strangers, said equally 'supportive' things. Even a child.

Is this.... normal? I have never said anything like this to a stranger who is exercising before, I figure they are busy exercising. But when I run/jog, it.... opens the flood gates. Is it because I look like I don't know what I'm doing or look like I'm struggling? (I'm not struggling, like I said I can hold consistent pace for an hour+), and these have all been complete strangers.

Edit: Originally wrote 13mph, LOL No not at all. They are 13 minute miles. Ooops

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is why I love running outdoors. People are so supportive.

This...

Though at that pace I wouldn't even notice anyone saying anything :laugh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    13mph for an hour plus

Probably because running at 13mph is a world class pace.

However, I don't find that. I generally say good morning or good afternoon to people when I pass them, and frequently get similar in response. Not always.

Other runners on the other hand are frequently supportive of one another. Even if it's just a nod or a wave.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is why I love running outdoors. People are so supportive.

This...

Though at that pace I wouldn't even notice anyone saying anything :laugh:

So the trick then, is to run fast enough that they don't have time to say it? :)

@MichSmish not quite mayberry but the area I live in does tend to be relatively friendly as a whole. When I first moved to the area over a decade ago I thought it was really strange how random people on the street would say hello. You don't get that treatment in big cities, but apparently it's common in small town 'merica.

Well you pace is sprinting for me, so yeah...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You're a dude. Wolf whistles are for the gals.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're basically running full speed at a pace of under 5 min per mile. I'm not sure how you would notice anyone saying anything to you at all!
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 8,096 Member
    Options
    I think you mean you jog a 13 minute mile, not 13 mph? :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Maybe you run in a very cheerlead-y place. But I would find it surprising too.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones so I generally give and receive small from the hip waves... sometimes a head nod of acknowledgement.

I think I look like heck after the first mile or two, especially in the heat. Red face, drenched in sweat, breathing heavy. I'm sure people have quite a bit of sympathy for me.
  • cdhrscamaro
    cdhrscamaro Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Idk why this made me laugh but I love what u wrote. I know what u mean and I always think people are being smartasses. i would throw something at them but I'm sure its honestly, just nice motivation :) ha! totally made me think of CLUELESS when the girls are walking by, a bum is running passed them and asks for $ and Cher gives him, her subway sandwhich and dude throws it back & hits her in the back of her head haha
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The say "good job" because maybe it's something they wish they could get around to lol. Its like receiving compliments is weird and foreign.