When is it best to start a diet?

Options
For me personally I know that I really need to start dieting. I will attend uni in September and I want to be comfortable in my body for the first time ever. I would have already begun dieting but currently im under a lot of stress because I have exams coming up so I wouldn't like to be constantly thinking about how I need to lose weight and my exams. I finish all my exams June 27th and I attend uni September 18th which gives me around 3 months to lose weight. My major issue is my addiction to soda and I know I need to stop but if I stopped drinking it now I will end up being moody with constant headaches which wouldn't help with all the exams. Is it easier to lose weight during the summer period?

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The best time to start is today. If you are worried about caffeine withdrawal headaches switch to tea or diet soda. Maybe add a couple of 15 minute walks a day (huge stress reliever). I find summer easier because the weather is more conducive to outdoor activities.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think you are viewing "dieting" as something super strict that takes 100% focus. It doesn't have to be if you are willing to eat similar meals over and over and make small changes over time. Stopping full sugar sodas is an easy way to cut a bunch of calories. In order to not get a headache, I would suggest gradually weaning yourself off the caffeine. But you don't need to drink full sugar soda to get caffeine. Sugar free soda or tea or coffee would have no calories and still give you caffeine. So if you are drinking 5 full sugar sodas a day now, replace several of them with sugar free alternatives. Then next week replace all of them with sugar free. Then slowly cut down to 4 a day, 3 a day, until you are drinking a normal level of caffeine.

As far as food, pick several meals you enjoy eating that will give you some protein and veggies and healthy fats. They don't have to be complicated. Then make them over and over again until you have more free time to think of other recipe combinations.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There is always going to be stress - and I'm almost 50 years past your age. In fairness, it might be easier to start after this round of exams is over. But then start learning how to eat and live in a healthy fashion and don't stop. There will be more exams, personal issues (hopefully more good than bad!), reasons to celebrate or mourn, boredom, excitement, jobs and finances, delicious food and wine or beer. Did I say "ice cream"? NOW is when you need to create a solid scaffold to build your personal house upon.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wait..... how old are you?
  • Jamie23049
    Jamie23049 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Wait..... how old are you?

• InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I think you are viewing "dieting" as something super strict that takes 100% focus. It doesn't have to be if you are willing to eat similar meals over and over and make small changes over time.

So much this. I find calorie counting and prelogging actually helps me deal more easily with any stress relating to food - I know exactly what I can eat/have accounted for and so I worry about it far less.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Today. And it doesn't take that much focus to diet. You just have to be AWARE of how many calories you're consuming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jamie23049
    Jamie23049 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Today. And it doesn't take that much focus to diet. You just have to be AWARE of how many calories you're consuming.

I eat 1400 calories a day. My addiction to soda is what causes the problem I drink around 850-900 calories of soda a day which brings my intake to 2300 calories. Removing soda is so hard for me ive attempted it maybe 10 times in the past and have only ever been successful at it once.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Then don't remove soda, just switch to ones with no calories. I switched from Coke to Coke Zero to get my caffeine fix.

The time to start dieting is when results are more important to you than excuses.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When the excuses stop.

I decided to start losing weight this past semester. I took 12 500 level credits, had a job, and am a mom.

Just because there were times exercise wasn't going to happen, I still counted calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Now. Or at least, before you get a wakeup call in the form of an obesity-related/exacerbated condition. (For the record, despite being over 100 lbs overweight, my general health was fairly good. Until it wasn't.)
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Honestly, yesterday was the best time, but since that's over you can start right now just by making small changes.
    Sodas were killing me. I was addicted to them & was drinking anywhere between 1000-2000 calories a day from them. I literally never went more than an hour without downing a can of coke or root beer & that didn't even include the ones I drank at meal times. I could kill a 12 pack of coke in one day & not even bat an eye.
    I switched to zero calorie sodas somewhere around October. Then in April, I decided to quit those when I made the decision to go on a keto diet. Now I just drink a lot of water, a cup of coffee in the morning & a hot cup of tea once or twice a day.
    Between October & April, I dropped 10 lbs just by cutting out the regular sodas. Seriously, get rid of that stuff. If it's too hard all at once, do what I did & at least ditch the sugar loaded bullets because eventually if you don't deal with it now, they are going to kill you, like they were doing to me.

I'm 42 & I wasted many years that I could have been of enjoying life a whole lot more than I was because of my weight & sodas were playing a major role in that. Don't wait until the next 20 years of your life have gone by to make changes. You can do this!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Welcome to being an adult. Life is going to be like this forever now for you. There will never be a point where you arent stressed about something. You have to take control of the situation and manage it as best you can. Nobody is perfect.

There is never going to be a perfect time to diet, its how motivated are you to actually go down that road?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When to start? Yesterday! I finally decided to lose weight when I ran out of excuses and realized no one was going to do it for me. Ultimately, you have to want it badly enough that the idea of NOT doing it isn't an option.