Losing too fast?

I was super frustrated at how slow I was losing, so one of my doctors put me on Topomax. Since May 9th, I've lost 14lbs. I'm eating between 900-1100 calories per day. I usually have to force myself to eat. I'm just not hungry. I know this isn't enough calories for me since I'm 6'3 (female). But I don't want to go back to overeating and losing a pound every 2 weeks. The Topomax also helps me sleep at night, which I like. I'm not having any other side effects. I'm guessing the Topomax effects will eventually lessen, so maybe I should just ride it out until it doesn't work anymore, but I'm not sure. Any helpful advice is certainly welcome.

Thank you!

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    that level of weight loss is NOT going to be sustainable. keep that in mind. I would definitely eat up to 1200 calories thought. you are eating too little and could be harming yourself slowly. especially at that height.

Get used to the idea that at some point 1-2 lbs per week is going to be great.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,571 Member
    The appetite suppression effect of Topamax will not lessen w/ time. That drug is notorious for causing people to be cognitively slow ("dope-a-max") and for causing kidney stones.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Talk with your doc but I would guess at an absolute minimum you need 1500 calories. I'm pretty sure you can do a lot of damage by undereating.

If you are just taking it for weight loss have you tried a serious workout regimen and eating right to avoid meds? See a nutritionist and trainer? Possibly think about dumping the topamax and make a lifestyle change? Zero judgement on the meds...just saying there are other ways. I'd be glad to be a support/friend.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    One of the consequences of fast weight loss is that a higher portion of the lost weight is likely to be lean mass as opposed to slow weight loss.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Eat more even if you don't feel hungry - choose calorie dense foods.
    At 6ft 3" you need to eat much more than you currently do. Maintenance for you is likely to be close to 3000 calories perhaps more depending on how active you are (I'm going by my 6ft 3 son who probably maintains on about 4000 calories a day). So essentially you need to be eating 2000+ calories a day and STILL lose. You want to hold on to as much lean muscle mass as possible, eating very low calorie is a sure way to lose muscle.

1lb every other week is a healthy loss! You don't say if you need to lose much weight, if less than 15lbs to goal then 0.5lb a week is what you should be aiming for.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Can you eat a hearty meal before you take your daily dose? I ask because I have a medication I have to take in the morning that turns my stomach. In the hospital, they gave it to me before breakfast, and I could hardly eat all day. At home, I had it after breakfast, and I've been fine since.

I'd certainly let your doctor know how few calories you're eating. Is there such a thing as a smaller dose, maybe?

I only have vague advice because I'm unfamiliar with this drug.
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    From how it sounds, I did near the same diet. I (6'4" Male) started at 310lbs & average daily calories around 3500. I cut first to 3000 for 1 week, then went balls-to-the-wall and dropped it to 2000 for 1 week, and finally 1100 for 3.5 months.

If you don't want to lose lean body mass, make sure to keep your strength training up. It's hard, especially on that few calories (I was nearly collapsing into bed at night), but my bench/squat didn't decrease over that time, nor did any of my other exercises (except pullup).

I lost around 2lb a day if I really stuck with it.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Well, things certainly changed since I wrote that post. I lost 14lbs May 6th-June 4th and have lost 1/2lb since June 4th. I have 50lbs to lose, so a long way to go.

I was eating too low and had no energy to even take a shower and was getting dizzy and had to start eating closer to 1400 calories, but now 1/2lb in 3 weeks?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all your food, and log everything into your food diary? No skipping, cheating or forgetting?

ucadorakg6qw.jpg