Long hair problems

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have thick hair that tangles easily and when it long, I find two French braids works best. The top knots and ponytails never stay in place when your doing a lot of moving fast with the cardio anyway.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I make a ponytail with a strong thick goody or scuncci elastic band, then bun it with a hair stick. Braiding the ponytail and then bunning works well too, either held with hair stuck or linzi clips. If I'm just running or lifting, a ponytail braid or French braid is ok, but I don't like it slapping me during other high intensity cardio. These styles work for me when my hair is anywhere from just past waist to Classic length(top of thigh).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I braid mine for my boxing class then put it in a bun. I also deep condition after with a hair mask.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Double French or Dutch braid bunned.

Do you use hair forks/sticks or ficcare or flexi-8?
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Braid it.

One thing I started to do which really helps prevent tangles is that I stopped using shampoo. The harsh surfactants in it strip the natural oils from your hair and make it more prone to tangling. Conditioner-only washing has made it much easier to manage and it has helped bring out my natural waves. I have been doing this for about 4 years now and will never go back.

My daughter just started doing this. It seems so bizarre to me but maybe I should give it a try!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If I want something really secure, I do a high ponytail, then secure it into a topknot with an octopus clip. My hair probably isn't as thick as yours anymore, but I was able to use that when it made me look like Hermione Granger ;)

hermionehair.jpg

Haha my hair is like this but curly lol I do crossfit, I prefer to French braid it. When I put it in a bun it ends up falling several times during the workouts.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SweetP27 wrote: »
    Braid it.

One thing I started to do which really helps prevent tangles is that I stopped using shampoo. The harsh surfactants in it strip the natural oils from your hair and make it more prone to tangling. Conditioner-only washing has made it much easier to manage and it has helped bring out my natural waves. I have been doing this for about 4 years now and will never go back.

My daughter just started doing this. It seems so bizarre to me but maybe I should give it a try!

Co-washing is awesome. There is an adjustment period, but it's worth it! I love suave!
  • archishaganguly23
    archishaganguly23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I French braid it every time I go to the gym..the braid doesn't flail around that much then.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SweetP27 wrote: »
    Braid it.

Make sure you use a conditioner that is not stuffed with silicones. It also works best if you don't use product in your hair. Slather the conditioner on your hair, pile it on top of your head and let it sit while you do the rest of your shower, Comb through if you have longer hair that needs detangling, rinse.

Ingredients you want which make a conditioner cleansing Most will have only one or two:

Behentrimonium chloride
    Behentrimonium methosulfate (gentler)
    Benzalkonium chloride
    Cetrimonium chloride
    Cocotrimonium chloride
    Dicetyldimonium chloride
    Dicocodimonium chloride
    Stearalkonium chloride

Types of silicone that build up and need harsh surfactants to get off (like you find in shampoo):
    Amodimethicone
    Dimethicone
    Cyclomethicone

Just be aware that your hair will not necessarily "squeek" when rinsing. That squeek actually is a bad sign.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I braid mine. It's about waist length. I also use Goody spin pins if I don't feel like braiding. About three if I'm running. They work fantastic!