Is this site terrible or am I just a noob?

I can't believe how painful this site is to use. I'm trying to create a recipe manually and no combination of steps seems to work. I want to create a salad using a list of ingredients and use that in my food diary over and over again. Can somebody post detailed step-by-step for how to do this? Thanks!!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    When you're in the recipe tab, use the "old recipe calculator" to the upper right of the screen. Hit the green tab "enter new recipe" just underneath it. That's how it appears when you're using a PC.

Yes this.

Or if it's for one person just list the ingredients and then use save meal. That's an easy option too.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Yes, the recipe builder is painful to use.
  • ThoriumDragon99
    ThoriumDragon99 Posts: 2 Member
    OK, I finally got it to work SOMETIMES ... There is a bug on this web site. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Food-> Recipes Tab
    2. Click the "Add Recipe Manually" link
    3. Enter ingredients
    4. Click the "Match Ingredients" button
    5. NOTE: This button sometimes DOES NOTHING and the "Servings" drop down will change to being outlined in RED. If this happens, click the up/down arrows on the servings field a few times and try the "Match Ingredients" button again.
    6. Eventually you will be able to proceed with matching the ingredients and adding the recipe.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Thank you newmeadow! I have never wanted to get aggravated with the recipe builder but, those instructions look detailed enough for me to try it!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    I have never had any issue using the recipe builder from the very first day i found this site. /shrug.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    OK, I finally got it to work SOMETIMES ... There is a bug on this web site. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Food-> Recipes Tab
    2. Click the "Add Recipe Manually" link
    3. Enter ingredients
    4. Click the "Match Ingredients" button
    5. NOTE: This button sometimes DOES NOTHING and the "Servings" drop down will change to being outlined in RED. If this happens, click the up/down arrows on the servings field a few times and try the "Match Ingredients" button again.
    6. Eventually you will be able to proceed with matching the ingredients and adding the recipe.

After step 1, do you see "Old Recipe Calculator" on the right? That's what I use. It allows you to enter ingredients one at a time, and it returns multiple options, just like it does when you're trying to add a food to your daily log from the database. I find it much easier to use this way.

That said, I wouldn't use the recipe tool for a salad. I would use the "my meals" tool. The first time you have the salad, enter all the ingredients in your log under whatever meal you're having the salad for. When you're done, click on quick tools below the meal and from the drop down menu click on "remember meal," and it will take you to another page where it will ask you to give a name to the meal or, alternatively, to replace an existing saved meal with the new set of ingredients.

When you log a meal, as opposed to a recipe, all the ingredients show up individually in your log, so it's easier to edit amounts or delete ingredients without having to change a recipe or affecting the saved meal ("oops, no tomatoes today, delete that"). And if you find that there are additional ingredients you sometimes add to your salad, you can log the meal, add the additional ingredients, click on quick tools and remember meal, and choose "replace an existing saved meal" to write over your saved "salad" meal (or you could have multiple saved salad meals if that works better for you; just give them names that will help you remember which is which).

I have a "smoothies" meal, with all the different ingredients I sometimes use in smoothies, and an "oatmeal" meal with all the different toppings and add-ins I like in oatmeal. I have "my meals" for different chain restaurants that operate similar to Chipotle, where you can choose from a variety of ingredients -- my Chipotle meal includes the protein options that I like, and the salsas I like, etc., and when I log it, I just delete the barbacoa and sofritos if today I had carnitas.

It's a lot easier to delete items and adjust quantities in your log than to edit a recipe.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,629 Member
    on the "add recipe manually" tab, I have to spell out the measurement words, like tablespoon, ounce etc otherwise I haven't had a problem with it