Am I maximizing my potential as a newbie with StrongLifts 5x5?

Options
Hi all,

I started StrongLifts 5x5 about 1.5 months ago. Religiously hit the gym to complete the routine 3x a week as instructed - still increasing weight every week on every exercise so far. I go slow and focus on good form. I also make sure to eat within 45 min after each workout. I am eating at maintenance with a focus on 1.2g of protein minimum for my body weight spread throughout the day. Is there anything I am missing? Should I be complementing the program with anything else? My goal is to recomp to 18% BF. I am 5'3", 118lbs, about 20-21% BF presently according to calipers.

To note: Aside from StrongLifts, I also participate in a Chisel group strength training 1x a week at my local YMCA and do a combo of bike/run/swim 6x a week as part of triathlon training.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you trying to recomp or cut? The only question would be how as your weight been tracking? You seemingly have all the other little details.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The idea of programs like Strong Lifts and Starting Strength is Linear Progression. Basically, as long as the weights are going up, and you are eating towards your goals, keep on doing what you are doing.

I personally am an advocate for 3x5, but if you can manage the 5x5 on a recomp, keep doing what you are doing. With your triathlon trailing however, I feel you will need to reduce the volume to 3x5 once the weights get high enough. And eventually you will have to make a choice on your priority - Triathlon Training or Strength Training. One will have to take a back seat to the other. And Diet will get you to your BF% goals.

If you choose the Triathlon training, then you will have to change from a daily weight progression to weekly weight progression. As in you cannot increase weight each time you go to the gym, it will slow down to weekly weight increases.

If you choose Strength Training, cut back on Triathlon and you will be able to continue progressing with your linear progression longer.

Either choice is fine, it's up to you!
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon - thanks for the question. Buried deep in my post, i wrote that I am interested in recomp. My weight has been consistent within 3 lbs of maintenance so far.

@HamsterManV2 - awesome response. Truly! I value your insight and am thankful that you mention what to expect as I progress. I knew I couldn't be a master of all trades, so I did make a conscious decision to prioritize recomp, thus prioritizing strength training. I do my weights before cardio to maximize my effectiveness - I'd rather run with tired legs than try to lift heavier with tired legs! I also do the weights first so I am not rushing to get done - if that means I cut a run or a swim short, so be it. So sounds like I am on the right path so long as I continue to keep my nutrition on point.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No you're not maximizing your potential if your goal is strength. If your primary goal is triathlon training, making smart adjustments to the program or even better, working a program that has specificity to your sport.

Ultimate potential would come from gaining weight, no extra strength trainig at the YMCA, & no triathlon training.

The SL program as written will stall way earlier than it was designed and eventually it will hinder your triathlon training as well.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in hiring a coach, check out Alex Viada and his team at Complete Human Performance. You can absolutely train for Triathlons and strength at the same time.
    www.completehumanperformance.com
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I personally am an advocate for 3x5, but if you can manage the 5x5 on a recomp, keep doing what you are doing. With your triathlon trailing however, I feel you will need to reduce the volume to 3x5 once the weights get high enough. And eventually you will have to make a choice on your priority - Triathlon Training or Strength Training. One will have to take a back seat to the other. And Diet will get you to your BF% goals.

Is 3x5 3 reps, 5 sets?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »

Is 3x5 3 reps, 5 sets?

No it's 3 sets, 5 reps each set.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm a triathlete myself and do Stronglifts. I follow it the same whether in season of off season, but my expectations are different. In season, I either lose slowly or maintain weight. So my expectations are no gain or maybe a little loss of strength. Off season, the intensity and length of training goes down and I can eat at a surplus and so I'm pushing for more muscle and strength increases.

I've made adjustments in my schedule to accommodate better recovery. Weights are MWF so that the weekend can be used for long bike/run. I try to long run on Saturday so I have extra recovery before weights Monday. And frankly, if I need to take a day off, it's a cardio day, not a lift day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You should top out w/SL w/in 4-6 months.

It is NOT designed as a program to be used for longer than that. Nor is it designed as a cyclical on/off training program for cyclists or triathletes. Doesn't mean it can't be used that way but it's just not designed for that.

SL (and similar programs) are designed to get novices who have not trained w/weights b4 as strong as feasible in as short a time period as possible.

If increased strength is your goal, as soon as you plateau doing SL, you need to start doing something else. Something else being an intermediate program thay will continue to promote strength development beyond the plateaus you reached in SL.

Any other training - - lifting or cardio - - can impair your progress in doing SL. Doesn't mean that you can't do anything else but you need to realize that it can and probably will impair your strength development via SL in some way.

Most people - like powelifters - whose primary objective is strength develop do little or no cardio whatsoever. On the other hand, if becoming a triathele is your objective, then too much strength work could impair that effort as well.

You just have to decide the relative importance of each objective and adjust the amount of lifting and cardio you do accordingly.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the feedback, everyone. You all gave me a lot to consider as I strive to recomp successfully. Appreciate the time, thoughtfulness and consideration put into your responses. Glad to have such a knowledgeable community to rely on for support.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    If you are interested in hiring a coach, check out Alex Viada and his team at Complete Human Performance. You can absolutely train for Triathlons and strength at the same time.
    www.completehumanperformance.com

I second this advice. At the very least, his book the "hybrid athlete" is a great resource