Quit smoking a week ago!

Options
Tiff1124
Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I quit smoking a week ago today YAY! Trouble is I have replaced cigs with snacks. Ugh

Any previous smokers have any advice for not grabbing all the food when I have a cig craving?

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Vaping is how I quit 15 years of Newports. It's been about 6 years since I quit now. No cigs. A flavorful vape here and there gives you that action and feeling of inhaling and exhaling "smoke"....without actually smoking anything other than flavoring and vegetable glycerin. Be sure to use a liquid that is guaranteed natural flavors and no dyes and made in the US.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum
  • Katiew1457
    Katiew1457 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I quit a little over 2 months ago. I vaped the first couple weeks but I don't even do that anymore. From the very beginning I started counting calories though. I was already extremely overweight and couldn't afford to gain. So now I've quit smoking and lost 17lbs. Good luck on your journey, you got this!!!
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have vaped in the past, so I'll have to find my ecig. That does seem to help when I couldn't have one. Thanks for the advice all
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I vaped as well. 16 months smoke free now after 20 years of smoking. Good luck.
  • Edweena1959
    Edweena1959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 24 years and quit 16 years ago. It was the most difficult challenge of my life but so worth it! I used "the patch", there was no vaping back then. For me it was important to cut out the habit including the gestures. Cravings are like clouds in the sky, they pass! I munched tons of sugar free candy and I also became a runner, which saved me. The hurdles were 3 days, 3 weeks & 3 months. It just got easier and easier with time
    Best of luck to you!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's easy way to quit. Even if you've already gone a week it can be helpful to deal with cravings and not trading one bad habit for the other.
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Another vote for vaping. Make sure the nicotine content is high enough to deter you from cheating. You made a great decision to quit. Congrats.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well done, I used lollipops and chewing gum. If you've done without vaping upto now then you can carry on without it, otherwise you'll end up with another habit to break.

Buy a fidget spinner, drink a glass of water, make a phone call, anything to get over the craving, it will only last a couple of minutes.

Fyi, I'll be off them 6 years in September, I used to smoke 40 a day, it does get easier, good luck x
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    First, congratulations. I quit before Thanksgiving...but have quit off and on, sometimes for months or years, before. It's hard. It's worth it. Vaping just seems to be trading one habit for another to me, so I did cold turkey. The one time I missed it most was when I was driving. My trick was a drinking straw cut to the length of a cigarette and stuffed with a small bit of cotton - enough to mimic the feel of dragging on a cigarette. It satisfied the need for me. Deep breathing exercises when I was stressed also. What calmed me down wasn't the smoke...it was the deep drags...and oxygen works just as well. Good luck.