Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Alternatives for squats? Slimming down thighs

VCH87
VCH87 Posts: 8 Member
Hi guys,

I need a good alternative for squats. I don't dislike squats per se, am getting a little bored by them because I've been squatting for a very long time. But I feel like the squats aren't doing my legs any good. I have big muscular thighs (+fat) and really want to slim them down.
Aside from the obvious (need a calorie deficit etc) do you guys have any tips about exercizes to incorporate in my leg day workouts to slim them down?
Any experiences/successtories in this department are also very welcome...

Thanks!

(Current leg day workout:
barbell back squats 4x8,
walking dumbell lunges 4x8,
barbell hip thrusts 4x8,
leg curl superset with rope pullthrough 3x12
Cardio circuit finisher 15 mins)

Replies

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Cycling!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Cycling!

The cyclists I know have decent, solid legs....

OP, it's literally losing the fat. I used to think I had solid legs, before I got in to the gym, and before I lost weight. I started lifting, and lost weight, and got slim legs in the process. I have more muscle now, but still have slimmer legs than when I had more fat!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Calorie deficit to lose weight. Building muscle won't slim down an area
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    If squats get boring I add more weight.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Agree with the cycling comment. You need a calorie deficit and cardio to burn fat body wide. ( can't spot reduce). Just lifting weights will continue to build muscle under the layer of fat. Cycling will keep your legs lean and exercise the muscles ( hill climbs) while also burning body fat.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Agree with the cycling comment. You need a calorie deficit and cardio to burn fat body wide. ( can't spot reduce). Just lifting weights will continue to build muscle under the layer of fat. Cycling will keep your legs lean and exercise the muscles ( hill climbs) while also burning body fat.

That's not how it works. I'm all for cardio, but it's not required to burn fat body wide. And if one turns to doing a lot of volume cycling and especially hills, that's not going to slim down ones legs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »

Calorie deficit yes, but you don't need cardio.

Lifting weights while eating at a deficit helps retain muscle. Can you build some? Maybe in certain circumstances. But most likely it will not be significant enough to look like the hulk. I have run two bulk cycles with focus on the lower body, and while I have gained muscle my legs, they are not huge and bulky but lean and shapely.

OP, I would continue your current routine if you enjoy it. At a deficit you will lose weight and retain the muscle you have to reveal more toned, lean legs (keep in mind that you can't spot reduce so fat will not come off where you want it unfortunately). You can substitute squats for another movement or type of squat if you want, but why are you getting bored of them? Because you are not progressing? Because you think they are not helping? Squats are an amazing lower body compound movement that I personally would not cut out of your routine entirely. Finding something you enjoy like a variation as mentioned above is an option.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited June 2017
    If squats are boring, then you aren't doing it "right." I'm going to go out on a limb and assume OP is squatting low weight/high rep. If this is the case, try a high weight/low rep (strength program) to combat boredom.

I followed 5/3/1 for 2 years...my thighs got smaller and stronger. I was eating at a small deficit for a year. I suspect the lower calories were responsible for fat loss on thighs.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    There are no exercises to slim your thighs because exercise does not work that way. Only losing weight can slim any part of your body.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    If squats are boring, then you aren't doing it "right." I'm going to go out on a limb and assume OP is squatting low weight/high rep. If this is the case, try a high weight/low rep (strength program) to combat boredom.

I followed 5/3/1 for 2 years...my thighs got smaller and stronger. I was eating at a small deficit for a year. I suspect the lower calories were responsible for fat loss on thighs.

Shoot, even high reps are exciting if you do it "right."
    Am I gunna get another rep or am I going to pass out first??
    You Just. NEver. Know.

I love trying to match/beat my previous best, be it 2.5 lbs or one more rep. Squats are always exciting.
  • VCH87
    VCH87 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks @ all for your response. Went for leg day again today and most of you are right, I'm getting bored because I'm not progressing, I'm a bit scared to go higher in weight at this point. Afraid of passing out / failing/ sickening doms.
    I do feel like when I do other exercizes like leg extensions or split squats that my thighs start to look different (as in leaner), but it could be in my head.
    Just going to keep on keepin on and push the overload some more to keep it interesting. Thanks
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    I am pear shaped, and I found that nothing worked for slimming down my thighs until I started doing C25K. Running intervals worked to slim my thighs down 5 inches in just under 6 months. Depending on how your body reacts to calorie deficits and different workouts may impact where you lose weight.