Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not sure if I was clear (I don't know anything about apple watches). However the google fit app has a running total all day of exercise and passive burn. I'm saying that the 8 hours he wears the watch reports that he burned ~1k calories during that time which is the passive burn for a person 97 kg 24 year old man at 5' 9". *Not sure how accurate this site is* but https://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned says his weight/height/age passive burn is 2900 calories a day. 2900/3 (to get 8 hours) = ~1000.

The Apple Watch doesn't include your BMR calories in its figures. You can see your actual TDEE total on the companion app on the iPhone, but the watch itself only shows calories from movement above & beyond BMR. And the Exercise app subtracts BMR calories from your workout totals so you're not double dipping.

I'm a few pounds lighter than the OP and my Apple Watch shows my "Move" calories as 102 so far today (it's been a lazy morning). Obviously I've burned a lot more than that in 10.5 hours if my BMR was calculated in. If I look at the "Total calories" in the iPhone app (which shows TDEE), it shows that I've burned 938 so far today.

My Garmin does total calories and right now at about 1:30PM with 3700 steps it shows today at 1520ish Kc
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Public Diary - enjoy

4.2 oz must be what is considered a standard banana

I think I found support for that this morning. I bought a banana at a Second Cup (Canadian chain, much like Starbucks, but slightly cheaper). In Ontario, restaurants with more than 20 locations must list the calories of all food items served. And over the fruit, the sign read: Bananas—90 calories.

It was a big banana. I didn't have a scale on me, so I used the 'generic large' entry. As you point out, however much I'm off isn't going to make or break me. But yeah, that seems to be 'average'.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I really appreciate it

Perhaps I'm going too heavy on it but I still want to lose another 27KG (60 pounds) so I want to make sure I do it in a healthy way. I will perhaps to a nutricionist and get a proper diet plan that is both flexible but keeps me on the losing track,.,,

Off to the gym!

Sensible thought to get some professional nutrition advice, but make it a registered dietician please. Everybody can call themselves a nutritionist
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is still ridiculously low for a male your size, age, and for how much activity you're doing. Please eat more so you don't burn up any muscle you have and lower your resting metabolic rate, it will bite you in the butt later if you ever start eating more and or exercising less.
  • Enigmatracking
    Enigmatracking Posts: 4 Member
    Options

how is 1200 for a man of his size safe with a high level of protein? thats the minimum for a short,elderly or sedentary woman(one or a combo of the 3). its not enough for an active man let alone an active woman

All I have is personal experience and general research (just like *almost* everyone else on this forum). I've been eating 1200 calories (lower if you follow exercise net calories) for about 3 months now. I don't get hunger pains or have urges to eat, I feel fine. I was worried about losing lean muscle and have started consuming a lot more protein to prevent that. What I find more concerning about OP is if he is actually doing a massive amount of cardio everyday, which is far more detrimental. For reference I am Male 23, 5'9" and started at 160 lbs; so not quite as heavy but similar.

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your food diary, I might suggest adding more veggies and or fruit (i'm awful at that myself) and more whole grain foods? I can't imagine that your fiber intake is anywhere close to where it should be either. If you eat a lot of protein foods and don't balance it out with fiber you can get quite bloated and ummm...backed up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not sure if I was clear (I don't know anything about apple watches). However the google fit app has a running total all day of exercise and passive burn. I'm saying that the 8 hours he wears the watch reports that he burned ~1k calories during that time which is the passive burn for a person 97 kg 24 year old man at 5' 9". *Not sure how accurate this site is* but https://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned says his weight/height/age passive burn is 2900 calories a day. 2900/3 (to get 8 hours) = ~1000.

The Apple Watch doesn't include your BMR calories in its figures. You can see your actual TDEE total on the companion app on the iPhone, but the watch itself only shows calories from movement above & beyond BMR. And the Exercise app subtracts BMR calories from your workout totals so you're not double dipping.

I'm a few pounds lighter than the OP and my Apple Watch shows my "Move" calories as 102 so far today (it's been a lazy morning). Obviously I've burned a lot more than that in 10.5 hours if my BMR was calculated in. If I look at the "Total calories" in the iPhone app (which shows TDEE), it shows that I've burned 938 so far today.

I've got 61 so far!! :wink:

I've got 634! (I ran first thing and then walked a decent amount.)

But anyway, the apple watch works as AnvilHead helpfully explained.

OP, I'd simply not worry about one week, but also try to eat more and not burn yourself out. Your overall rate looks quite aggressive.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I burnt 1,445 calories whilst moving, according to the apple watch.
    I went o the gym in the morning and done HIIT training on the treadmill and then done 20 mins in the pool. after that my partner and I went to the peak district and we walked one of the moderate walks (part of which under pouring rain) which was 4 miles long (meant to be 7.3 miles but it was far too wet to continue.
    We then got home, showered and headed out to the cinema.
    We're both losing weight, we're both active and doing so much more than we were doing. Although my partner is eating more than I am (c. 1600 calories per day). I have decided to up my calories to 1,500 a day based on the comments here.

1,500 a day net or gross? You're now 215 pounds and have lost 26 pounds since May 4th. This is way too fast for your weight.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

Inability to concentrate, loss of libido, fainting, confusion....
  • nutmegoreo
    edited June 2017
    Options

Perhaps I'm going too heavy on it but I still want to lose another 27KG (60 pounds) so I want to make sure I do it in a healthy way. I will perhaps to a nutricionist and get a proper diet plan that is both flexible but keeps me on the losing track,.,,

Off to the gym!

I'm still catching up, but responding as I go. I'm sure someone has mentioned it by now, but see a registered dietician if you plan to see anyone. Nutritionist training is highly variable.

Additionally, based on current results, and your activity level, I'm fairly confident that you could still successfully be losing on at least 2000cals/day. That would also give you loads more energy to keep your fitness goals on target, plus make it more likely that you will get sufficient nutrition.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Off to the gym!

You mentioned peak district so possibly in my area - Sheffield?
    Gp can refer you to a scheme where you can see a dietitian, physio, weightloss support staff. Normally they will give you a range of appointments over 6 months.

Failing that most gps can refer for a 12 week course at slimming world or a 12 exercise pass

I went thru the 6 month nhs course
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    First of all the Apple Watch does not "constantly" take your heart rate, it checks every ten minutes or so outside of a workout being activated.

Secondly, using the Move ring calories to base food choices off is a questionable thing. I've been sitting down eating ice cream and my Watch pings congrats at meeting my Move goal. That red ring is a proprietary count of resting and active calories. Count only calories achieved in logged workouts as your deficit, subtract them from MFP's total calorie goal to get your true net.

I think I work out a lot but you seem to have me beat. I'd be curious to see a screencap of your Workouts tab on the Activity App. I might be able to make sense of your math.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I went o the gym in the morning and done HIIT training on the treadmill and then done 20 mins in the pool. after that my partner and I went to the peak district and we walked one of the moderate walks (part of which under pouring rain) which was 4 miles long (meant to be 7.3 miles but it was far too wet to continue.
    We're both losing weight, we're both active and doing so much more than we were doing. Although my partner is eating more than I am (c. 1600 calories per day). I have decided to up my calories to 1,500 a day based on the comments here.

1,500 a day net or gross? You're now 215 pounds and have lost 26 pounds since May 4th. This is way too fast for your weight.

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months

• Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

Read that as farting. I'm tired. :lol:

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments above... I'm a bit concerned about some of the comments above.
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Could this diet really be doing me this much harm if all I want to do now is exercise, move, actually get on? Previously I was a total couch potato. Now I run a 5K with no issues - all of this in 1.5 months. training hard everyday.

Thanks for all of the advice above guys!

You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple. You probably need to learn a bit more about BMR and exercise calories. This is a nice explanation of how this works.

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/health-and-fitness/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-day

You will not lose weight if you are not eating fewer calories than you burn.

All of this. The 1000 is taken your BMR into account right? Like the calories you burn by just existing. I "burn" about 1,360 calories/day by just waking up and seeing the light of day. I "maybe" burn 200-300 via exercise on a GREAT day- like an extra dollop of Peanut Butter. Listen to the advice of people on here about refiguring out your numbers and what they mean!

My setting in MFP is sedentary and I have my Garmin vivoactive hr synced. I've done over 10,000 steps so far (I strive for 10,000 each day outside of exercise). I've earned 500 exercise calories. Most of my 'walking" at work is sprinting from meeting to meeting up stairs and hills carrying about 20 pounds of laptop and files. I work on a college campus and go from building to building to building. (One of the reasons I switched to an HR fitness tracker--I wanted more credit for my steps each day, considering the circumstances.)

I get about 50 exercise calories per 1000 steps which is more accurate for me than the 20 i was getting without the HR. I walk to and from my 90 minute yoga class on Monday and have another 500 calories that will be burned by the time I'm done today.

I typically burn about 1000 a day outside of my BMR, steps and exercise. The numbers are accurate for me. I'm not gaining weight (I'm in maintenance). Definitely possible. I'm 5'3, female and about 120.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options

how is 1200 for a man of his size safe with a high level of protein? thats the minimum for a short,elderly or sedentary woman(one or a combo of the 3). its not enough for an active man let alone an active woman

All I have is personal experience and general research (just like *almost* everyone else on this forum). I've been eating 1200 calories (lower if you follow exercise net calories) for about 3 months now. I don't get hunger pains or have urges to eat, I feel fine. I was worried about losing lean muscle and have started consuming a lot more protein to prevent that. What I find more concerning about OP is if he is actually doing a massive amount of cardio everyday, which is far more detrimental. For reference I am Male 23, 5'9" and started at 160 lbs; so not quite as heavy but similar.

What do you weigh after 3 months of 1200 calories?
  • Psychgrrl
    Options

• Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

A colleague sent me an email thanking me for sorting out the staff gifts. I read it as "snorting out the staff gifts." No one's gonna want those gifts! Sigh .... Mondays.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

• Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

:open_mouth:
This discussion has been closed.