How do I add exercise without it giving me back calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• gemabbi
    gemabbi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I log mine as 1 calorie also
  • asbpunkin777
    asbpunkin777 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can log your exercise as 1 calorie IF you like but I'm not sure why you aren't eating some of those exercise calories back, they will fuel your body accordingly.

Thank you all for your responses! There's a lot of really helpful information here! It would most definitely make sense to add the exercise at night and just track my calorie deficit that way...I really like that idea.

I noticed several comments mentioning that I shouldn't have to avoid eating my fitness calories back, so I think I might be missing something. From what I understand, 1 pound is approximately 3500 calories - therefore 2 pounds loss each each would be 7,000 calories (I do understand the benefits behind only losing 2 pounds per week and not crash dieting .. I've been there and done that!).

If I eat 1300 calories/day (9100 calories/week), and my resting metabolic rate burns 13,220 calories/ week (formula used: For Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)) .... based on this, without exercise, I have created a 4,120 calorie deficit each week. This does not total up to the 7000 calorie deficit for 2 pounds.

Now that you can see what I am doing mathematically ... why exactly would I want to eat back my calories? Wouldn't I want to exercise enough in the week to burn approximately 2,880 more calories to have a full 7000 calorie deficit? I know there are a lot of other factors that can play here, but I'm just using my bare caloric number basics.

Thank you again for all of the information! It's really helpful!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? 2 pounds a week isn't an appropriate goal for many people.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose? 2 pounds a week isn't an appropriate goal for many people.

2 pounds per week is a relatively hard upper limit. There are exceptions, but again, with the exceptions, you're still dealing with 1% per week as a hard line to bump against.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Now that you can see what I am doing mathematically ... why exactly would I want to eat back my calories?

For your health. Because you don't want to lose the muscle mass you have, or your hair. Gaining weight didn't happen all of a sudden one night, why should losing it be a race?
  • asbpunkin777
    asbpunkin777 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the detailed responses! The calculations and eating back calories makes a lot more sense!

To further avoid the muscle loss vs. fat loss ... are there certain things I could be doing/eating? Should I be eating more protein or drinking protein shakes to avoid this?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the detailed responses! The calculations and eating back calories makes a lot more sense!

To further avoid the muscle loss vs. fat loss ... are there certain things I could be doing/eating? Should I be eating more protein or drinking protein shakes to avoid this?

Just make sure you get at least 0.8 protein per lb of goal weight and do heavy lifting 2-3 x per week and muscle loss should be minimal
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason to have your exercise in MFP except to credit yourself for the calories you burned. No other value at all.

Also to enter challenges :)