Millennials, Gen Y need to eat less, workout more to stave off obesity: York U study

Options

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Ummm, doesn't this apply to everyone in every generation?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The amount of effort trying to convince yourself and others that you are a victim...

If the same amount of energy could be applied to exercise...

so much this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Firstly, quoting the conclusion of the study (the bolded is mine):

"Conclusions

Factors other than diet and physical activity may be contributing to the increase in BMI over time. Further research is necessary to identify these factors and to determine the mechanisms through which they affect body weight."

So not really a conclusion.

And secondly, considering this involved self reported data, couldn't this be largely due to general non-exercise activity being lower, as in the other study being debated?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Firstly, quoting the conclusion of the study (the bolded is mine):

"Conclusions

Factors other than diet and physical activity may be contributing to the increase in BMI over time. Further research is necessary to identify these factors and to determine the mechanisms through which they affect body weight."

So not really a conclusion.

And secondly, considering this involved self reported data, couldn't this be largely due to general non-exercise activity being lower, as in the other study being debated?

Welcome to academia - where the conclusion is typically nothing more than justification to further finance your existence.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Didn't we have this thread last week? Was I hallucinating the future?

There are questions about the accuracy of self-reported food intake, and if you spend any time in these forums you'll see people who are gaining weight eating 200 kCal a day and burning 50,000 kCal with exercise, so I tend to agree that self-reported calorie intake is suspicious.

People offered a lot of memories about life in the ancient times. Families had one car, so people walked and biked more. Children were allowed to roam and play. Information was stored in files, people had to walk to go get them, instead of just typing into a computer. You had to go to a grocery store to get your food instead of having Safeway deliver it for you. Etc, etc, etc.

People burned more calories over the course of their day, with non-exercise chores and requirements. That's actually a powerful message.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Was I hallucinating the future?

You must be new here.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh, you mean this discussion...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the study but based on the title my response is, "no *kitten*."

To be fair, the idea of the study is that it is harder now to lose weight than it was 20 years ago. That they have to eat less calories now than us lucky Gen Xers had to eat in 1990 to lose weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

To be fair, the idea of the study is that it is harder now to lose weight than it was 20 years ago. That they have to eat less calories now than us lucky Gen Xers had to eat in 1990 to lose weight.

So the study is trying to say they're such speshul snoflakes that CICO applies more to them than it did to us?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

And they are generally moving less. No *kitten* Sherlock.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Well, we had raves. All that dancing burnt a lot of calories.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Well, we had raves. All that dancing burnt a lot of calories.

Yes! Mosh pits....crowd surfing...nothing like sharing sweat with a few hundred strangers.