how do you do your HIIT

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I love my HIIT , mine is an every other day kettle bell calisthenics , with reps of 20, 15,10,5 , my husband showed me this routine , and i feel in love <3 but i would like to mix it up , what is your fav. HIIT ?

Probably not HIIT.

This dose not answer the question i posted , this thread is meant to be helpful , inspirational , a fun way to share those things that make us all feel superhuman , so please leave awbs comments out of it , so , please enlighten us....how do you do your HIIT ? :p

With a HRM 30 seconds at target intensity 60 seconds at recovery intensity. Repeat.

Note, one round may take 5 minutes or longer. Do not exceed 10 rounds or 30 minutes... whichever comes first.

That's HIIT.

Must be just like that huh?

So 40 seconds at target intensity and 20 off must not be HIIT, neither is tabata?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hill repeats on a bike at 105 to 120 % of my functional threshold power.

Using the hill in front of my house:
    Hill repeats on a bike at heck I don't know of my functional threshold power. I start at the bottom in 18th gear and pump hard to accelerate up the darned hill.

Using the treadmill in my living room:
    Warm up at 5 mph, adjust speed to 12 mph for 30 seconds, adjust speed to 5 mph for 90 seconds, repeat 6 times.

Using the cross-country ski simulator in my living room:
    Operate the thing at a 10 cal/min rate for warm up, then operate it at a 20 cal/min rate for 2 minutes, then back to 10 cal/min for 2-5 minutes.

Using the heavy rope in my driveway:
    Swing the rope for 30 seconds, rest for 1 minute, repeat often.

With a little imagination and equipment, you can do HIIT all kinds of ways.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    I love my HIIT , mine is an every other day kettle bell calisthenics , with reps of 20, 15,10,5 , my husband showed me this routine , and i feel in love <3 but i would like to mix it up , what is your fav. HIIT ?

Probably not HIIT.

This dose not answer the question i posted , this thread is meant to be helpful , inspirational , a fun way to share those things that make us all feel superhuman , so please leave awbs comments out of it , so , please enlighten us....how do you do your HIIT ? :p

With a HRM 30 seconds at target intensity 60 seconds at recovery intensity. Repeat.

Note, one round may take 5 minutes or longer. Do not exceed 10 rounds or 30 minutes... whichever comes first.

That's HIIT.

So 40 seconds at target intensity and 20 off must not be HIIT, neither is tabata?

40/20 No. not HIIT.

20 on 40 off would be. so would 10/20... although 10/20 would be really hard to manage.

Tabata is HIIT like, but most exercises that are Tabata'd aren't intense enough to qualify.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you look up what HIIT is, Tabata cycling is the textbook example of HIIT. Cycling is what the guy named Tabata used when figuring out in a lab how HIIT worked most efficiently on the body.

Done right Tabata will make you pray for death - I had a male friend do mine with me the other day and I was literally afraid he would faint afterwards, it's not something you can do if you're not conditioned. On the other hand, I keep reading about people doing 20 minutes of Tabata - uh, Tabata is four minutes, and if you can do it again afterwards, you didn't do it. That's kind of the whole point, to maximize what you can do with four minutes. If you held something back so you could keep going for twenty, you're not doing Tabata.
  • Rammer123
    edited June 2017
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

40/20 No. not HIIT.

20 on 40 off would be. so would 10/20... although 10/20 would be really hard to manage.

Tabata is HIIT like, but most exercises that are Tabata'd aren't intense enough to qualify.

What is the basis for the requirement to be 1:2 work:rest? So tabata is hit? Whats the difference from 40:20 and 20:10? According to what you said, its all based off 1:2 work to rest, and now since everyone knows tabata is HIIT, a 2:1 work to rest is still HIIT?

I'll be specific and say tabata on an assault bike/air bike. That is HIIT. Sprinting at or around 90-95% max heart rate, 30-90 seconds, followed by a 30-90 second rest. That is HIIT.

It's High Intensity Interval Training. As long as you're doing intervals of high intensity work, roughly 90-100% of your max HR, followed by a rest period, that is HIIT. There are different protocols but there is not one protocol that IS HIIT.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

The problem with this is that HR lags effort by up to 30 seconds. An HRM is useless for these kinds of intervals. That's the #1 reason people use power meters.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I do twice a week HITT, with running, swimming, and cycling. My running day as an example:

Tues run: 1/2 mile warm up

1/4 mile jog (3 min)
    1/4 mile sprint (2 min)
    Repeat twice

1/4 mile jog
    1/2 mile 75% sprint
    Repeat twice

cool down jog for one mile.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

40/20 No. not HIIT.

What is the basis for the requirement to be 1:2 work:rest? So tabata is hit? Whats the difference from 40:20 and 20:10? According to what you said, its all based off 1:2 work to rest, and now since everyone knows tabata is HIIT, a 2:1 work to rest is still HIIT?

I'll be specific and say tabata on an assault bike/air bike. That is HIIT. Sprinting at or around 90-95% max heart rate, 30-90 seconds, followed by a 30-90 second rest. That is HIIT.

It's High Intensity Interval Training. As long as you're doing intervals of high intensity work, roughly 90-100% of your max HR, followed by a rest period, that is HIIT. There are different protocols but there is not one protocol that IS HIIT.

You're focusing on the time, the key is work periods at a sufficiently high level of intensity. That's the driver for the period.

As highlighted upthread, measuring that intensity becomes the challenge.

Realistically, most people claiming to do HIIT are just doing circuit training. That's not a criticism of circuit training, it's a very valuable part of the activity set, but it doesn't have the same physiological effect on VO2Max.

I'd also note that the vast majority of people don't need to improve VO2Max anyway. It has a very specific purpose that is beyond the majority need.

• Rammer123
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

40/20 No. not HIIT.

You're focusing on the time, the key is work periods at a sufficiently high level of intensity. That's the driver for the period.

Realistically, most people claiming to do HIIT are just doing circuit training. That's not a criticism of circuit training, it's a very valuable part of the activity set, but it doesn't have the same physiological effect on VO2Max.

I'd also note that the vast majority of people don't need to improve VO2Max anyway. It has a very specific purpose that is beyond the majority need.

VO2 is the single best predictor of cardiovascular death and premature cardiovascular death.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited June 2017
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

40/20 No. not HIIT.

VO2 is the single best predictor of cardiovascular death and premature cardiovascular death.

And given the extremely short period where VO2Max gains persist the marginal improvement isn't making a material difference.

The majority of improvement comes from working in the aerobic range.

Marginal gains are fine when you've got Team Sky behind you. For most people is not worth the impact on training quality.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

40/20 No. not HIIT.

And given the extremely short period where VO2Max gains persist the marginal improvement isn't making a material difference.

The majority of improvement comes from working in the aerobic range.

Marginal gains are fine when you've got Team Sky behind you. For most people is not worth the impact on training quality.

Just making a statement to show that improving VO2 should be (in my opinion) important to everyone.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    And to your previous post, I was saying that the time intervals were not the important facter to be determined as "HIIT" and get the benefit fromt he work, which i think is also what you are saying.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Doing an exercise at 90-100% effort for 15-30 seconds, followed by a 15-30 second rest, then repeating the cycle for at least 5 minutes is my definition of HIIT. My favorite is doing 15 seconds on and off with the elliptical for 20 minutes.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sessions a week of Les Mills GRIT at my gym. :)
  • Rammer123
    Options
    Anyone ever used the air bike/assault bike?

Literally CRUSHES me
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Doing an exercise at 90-100% effort for 15-30 seconds, followed by a 15-30 second rest, then repeating the cycle for at least 5 minutes is my definition of HIIT. My favorite is doing 15 seconds on and off with the elliptical for 20 minutes.

When your workout is finished, how do you know whether you were at 90 to 100 % effort or not?
  • samhynes7469
    samhynes7469 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

I have actually asked a few diff. pros. since i started this thread ... any activity , 40 sec at 70 - 90 % max HR on, and 20 sec HR 60 - 65 % off , for 30 min. , as often as you can handle it , the idea is to have an oxygen debt , if you are getting headaches , back off a bit .
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Yesterday I set a new personal record for 20 minute power. That involved looks of oxygen debt. Obviously this was not HIIT because it was a continuous effort.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

I have actually asked a few diff. pros. since i started this thread ... any activity , 40 sec at 70 - 90 % max HR on, and 20 sec HR 60 - 65 % off , for 30 min. , as often as you can handle it , the idea is to have an oxygen debt , if you are getting headaches , back off a bit .

If you can handle it for 30 minutes, It's not HIIT. 70-90... isn't HIIT.. 85-100% is HIIT.

I'm not sure what a pros. is, but clearly they don't understand HIIT.

If' you're going to do 40/20 continuous, that's fine, but anything beyond 4-10 minutes you're doing steady state, not HIIT
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Probably not HIIT.

That's HIIT.

One hours they didn't charge you for that advice...

70-90% of MHR will certainly assist in the lactate threshold improvement that's useful for something like a 10K run out a 20 mile cycle time trial.