Have you made friends in fitness classes?

Options
I'm trying to do more social, group exercises. I recently moved and thought it be a good way to make healthy friends that could be a good influence. The thing is I'm really shy. I've tried cycling groups and yoga so far. I just find it so intimidating and after standing around after the event for a bit I just get too nervous and bounce. Everyone seems like friends already.

Have any of you actually made friends this way? How did it come about? Do you hang out outside of class?

Replies

• leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple recently (a tabata class and an outdoor interval training class), more from wanting to do new things fitness wise and try something out of my comfort zone than to make friends (but that would be cool). It seems to be several people already know each other and are talking, and I'm not great at approaching a group of strangers and striking up a conversation. Sometimes I'll try with another person just standing by themselves. I pretty much do the same as you and feel awkward and then leave haha
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The people in my taekwondo school are some of my best friends now. As with anything time seems to be the main ingredient. We have been all training together for years now.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you are joining an already existing group, it may take more time. A lot of people just pass through classes. No way to know how long, but there will come a time when they accept that you are serious. Hang in.

Also, I was in a Pilates class. There was one woman in particular that went around talking to everyone. Changed the whole chemistry. Even after she left the class we were much more sociable.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to do more social, group exercises. I recently moved and thought it be a good way to make healthy friends that could be a good influence. The thing is I'm really shy. I've tried cycling groups and yoga so far. I just find it so intimidating and after standing around after the event for a bit I just get too nervous and bounce. Everyone seems like friends already.

Have any of you actually made friends this way? How did it come about? Do you hang out outside of class?

I have, quite a few now -- but it took a while to even start. People don't know if you are going to stick around, so they talk to their fellow "regulars" - it doesn't mean they are "friends" !

Most chat starts when waiting to go in, or before a class starts, so go early and smile at anyone who makes eye contact. They might be as new as you! Ask innocuous questions about the timetable / teacher / class ... and see if some chat opens up. Sometimes it develops, sometimes you cannot gel at all. It helps if you can go to the same class regularly, which I can.

I am really interested in these group dynamics. I am quite confident in my gym, now, after going for 6 years -- but I used to be like you! Now I still have some puzzles, e.g. There is a group of 4 women in my Combat class who stand in the same place every week. Next to me. YET If I dont take an initiative and say hello to them there are two of them who literally never say a word to me. The four of them huddle round and form a little clique with their backs all out to the world .. and it feels really rude, after a year or two. Maybe I offended one of them years ago? Or they really don't realise what they are doing?

However, there is one pal I see a lot outside the gym and we even go on holiday together at her 2nd home, so I have both extremes!

• cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've made a few friends lifting weights :)