Atkins, no hunger, can't hit calorie goal

Options
2»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    To me this doesn't sound like it has been going on long enough to be a problem, lemur.

Take some vitamins to be on the safe side until your appetite returns which I expect it will in 1-2 days.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You have hit on the big secret to why Atkins works. It leaves you feeling extremely sated, so you automatically eat less without really concentrating on it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    To me this doesn't sound like it has been going on long enough to be a problem, lemur.

Take some vitamins to be on the safe side until your appetite returns which I expect it will in 1-2 days.

Yeah, probably not.

I always think it's important to stress that absolutely no appetite, as in "I can't choke stuff down, eating seems unpleasant" after 450 calories in day (which is SUPER low, we aren't talking 1000) is NOT normal or good. Usually I think it's that people are used to being hungry all the time or just thought they would be, so are exaggerating "I could eat, but don't feel like I need to, so should I?" -- and if so and you've only had 450 calories, the answer is YES, especially since apparently the goal is to feel that way (that some get with keto, I guess). If the issue is really that the idea of eating is too hard to manage I worry there's something more going on and that people are seeing something that's not good as good.

But I think low cals for a day or two, even that low, is no biggie. I do think it's bad and needs to be checked out if it lasts for any length of time as a real "no appetite at all" or "eating seems unpleasant" kind of thing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low carbers often approach the macros this way:

Protein is a goal - strive to hit it
    Carbs are a ceiling - try to stay under it
    Fats just fill in the rest, and quite frankly most of us who use low carb have plenty of body fat without adding in extra dietary fat. ;)

So my advice would be to try to hit your protein goals, and at least meet the minimum. For many women the minimum is around 40-60g per day but a bit more is usually better. Get your 80,90 or whatever grams of protein on most days. If still hungry, eat more fats, or fattier cuts of meat. If not hungry, eat fewer fats and carbs.

I would also advise you to enjoy the lowered appetite. It often doesn't last forever at that extreme. Many find it stays lower than it used to be but most have not problem meeting their caloric goals after a while.
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

I'm still not hungry this morning, but did manage a small dinner last night which took me to around 1000 cals.

I wonder if restarting metformin (slow release) only a few days ago might also be having an effect? It dawned on me today that could be some of it.

For now, I'm going to enjoy being hunger-free, but if it's the same in a week I'll go to the doc and make sure it's nowt sinister :-) I think if I manage around 1100 cals a day for now, without it making me feel odd, that's a goal I can reach.

I'm sure as you say the hunger will return, so I'm just going to ride it out and make the most of feeling fine (for the first time in a LONG time!).

Thanks everyone, your input is so helpful :-)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If hunger doesn't return, you need to either force yourself to eat. If it's too unpleasant to force-feed yourself, gradually increase your carb intake until you hit a level that is still low carb but is not affecting your food intake too negatively. You don't need to stay married to any named diet if it means being undernourished or any other negative health concerns. There is a middle ground.
  • BigAnnieG
    Options
    blomsj wrote: »

Also, if you're interested in learning more about macronutrient percentages for keto diets, here's a pretty great page that was recommended to me: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Wow, that calculator is so helpful, thank you!

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    At 450 calories and not being hungry, I rather think it's not okay to listen to your own body.

If it's just a day or two, NBD, if you go 3-5 days and you're still not hungry, it's definitely time to force feed, or adjust the particulars.

When I did induction a few(15) years back, I already had developed the habit of deliberate eating... so breakfast was 2-3 eggs, and bacon, lunch was a salad(lettuce, broccoli, cheese) with a bacon cheeseburger(naked) or 2. Dinner was about the same. Snack during the day might be a half cup of salsa and 10 oz of tuna.

Spread out the eating. Mind the calories and nutrients.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Proteins do make you feel fuller and you don't get the mid-afternoon sugar rush like you would with refined carbs..... to be honest I lost weight with Atkins but didnt feel too well on it and put all the weight back on after.... but it does work for a lot of people and the doc was impressed with my chlorestrol levels!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

LAT1963 wrote: »
    Yeah, probably not.

I always think it's important to stress that absolutely no appetite, as in "I can't choke stuff down, eating seems unpleasant" after 450 calories in day (which is SUPER low, we aren't talking 1000) is NOT normal or good. Usually I think it's that people are used to being hungry all the time or just thought they would be, so are exaggerating "I could eat, but don't feel like I need to, so should I?" -- and if so and you've only had 450 calories, the answer is YES, especially since apparently the goal is to feel that way (that some get with keto, I guess).

THIS, If you're nauseated by the idea of food, that's a problem. If you're comfortable, that's the goal. That being said. set up a plan and eat to the plan.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Maybe you finally found something that works well for you? I would say make sure you are getting enough water, it helps me feel hungrier sometimes. But sounds like its good for you so far. I would see where it takes you. Good luck!

are you kidding??? you think her eating 450 calories/day is "finding something that works for her" ??
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    BigAnnieG wrote: »
    Thanks for replying so quickly!

It is a weird one because I *know* under 1000 cals a day is bad, but I'm feeling so good I'm scared of messing it up by eating more. It's a similar feeling I expect people who do short fasts feel.

Has anyone tried making "fat bombs"? A ton started coming up on my Pinterest feed but I don't really get what they are. Worth a try for the calorie boost?

Low carb diets require fats: bacon, nuts, butter, cream cheese, full fat dairy, eggs, olives, salmon, tuna, avocados, full fat salad dressings, . . .

Fat Bombs:
    http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I keep LCHF.
    There are days I have to force myself to eat enough calories. One of the main reasons I log food to MFP is to make sure I eat enough.
    Instead of fat bombs (not fond of the texture) I will add a tablespoon of Olive oil to my salad (I typically ony use a sprinkle of vinegar or lemon juice)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Maybe you finally found something that works well for you? I would say make sure you are getting enough water, it helps me feel hungrier sometimes. But sounds like its good for you so far. I would see where it takes you. Good luck!

are you kidding??? you think her eating 450 calories/day is "finding something that works for her" ??

Pretty sure she said that was around lunchtime and she managed to get to 1000 by the end of the day.
  • BigAnnieG
    Options
    Hiya!

Yes, I did say that at lunchtime but some days that is about all I can manage unless I really make a concerted effort to eat more.

I've been sneaking in more cals the way you guys have suggested and am making it up around 1200 which is OK for now. That's still pretty low for someone my size (6' 2" 250lbs) and I guess that could be why things have stalled now, as well as all water weight is now off. It's about 1/4lb a day loss which still isn't bad.

I will keep trying to add more cals in these sneaky ways you suggest! It's very strange you know, having to find ways to add MORE cals to my diet when it's always been too many being the problem! Hah.