Undereating from stress?

Options
Surely I'm not the only one who has this problem... when I get mega stressed - I lose my appetite. If I try to get anyway, I usually get sick. What do I do in this case? The past two days, my calorie intake has been really low... because I've been stressed in the afternoons.

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Can you drink your calories?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one. I also find it very difficult to eat when I am under extreme stress or anxiety.

So, in that case I will eat foods that are comforting, easy to eat, or just pack in the nutrients quickly. For me this usually means dairy. Drinking milk. Making a yogurt/milk smoothie. As the other person said, drinking the calories helps get them down. In the morning sometimes having an egg mcmuffin (without meat) is something I can sometimes get down while stressed (or it could add to the nausea). I experience nausea when I am stressed. This reaction of not being able to eat is the Fight, flight, or freeze response. They body shuts down in certain ways in order to be able to deal with the danger it perceives.

So, I stick with comfort foods, that are easy for me to eat. Whatever that may be.
  • kns6374
    kns6374 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you! I found quite a few recipes for smoothies on here, so I'll start making those when I have those nights were I don't want to eat anything!