Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Alcohol's effect on fat loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I have found the third drink negatively effects my ability to say no to bar nachos and potatoe skins and other similar foods

Same here. I have to limit myself to two drinks so I don't give in to temptation and order half the appetizer menu.
  • TeraMB
    TeraMB Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a very social person!!! I would say on average we have friends or family here 4 days out of 7! Which really hampers my no drinking! I've tried spritzer, no drinks till Thursday, faking it,( a glass with a drink but no Booze) indulging, having one and I know it's my drinks that hampers my weight loose!! Please don't judge I'm never drunk but enjoy a social!! Any additional tips would be great! I want a life style that blends both in a healthy manner but when I look at my reality a beer or drink on the deck is my life. Any drink ideas that are low carb, and calories wise would really be appreciated.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    TeraMB wrote: »
    I'm a very social person!!! I would say on average we have friends or family here 4 days out of 7! Which really hampers my no drinking! I've tried spritzer, no drinks till Thursday, faking it,( a glass with a drink but no Booze) indulging, having one and I know it's my drinks that hampers my weight loose!! Please don't judge I'm never drunk but enjoy a social!! Any additional tips would be great! I want a life style that blends both in a healthy manner but when I look at my reality a beer or drink on the deck is my life. Any drink ideas that are low carb, and calories wise would really be appreciated.

Find different friends?
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    It makes me binge on nachos
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    TeraMB wrote: »

Just make your drink last as long as possible and try to limit to one :). Depending on your calorie goals, fitting in a 125 calorie glass of wine or a 160 calorie beer into your goals 4 times a week may be totally possible! Many people find room to fit in a daily treat, who says that that 'treat' can't be an alcoholic beverage?! Stick to the lower calorie options like beer or wine, or a liquor with seltzer and fruit or diet soda as a mixer. Skip the juices and sugar mixers and you'll save hundred of calories.

ETA: Remember - losing weight shouldn't be miserable and it *should* fit into your life! Enjoy your friends and family and don't beat yourself up!
  • JasonRainboze
    JasonRainboze Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It effects my sleep. sleep is huge.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've mostly cut it except once per week or less I'll have a bit of Vodka and use no mixers. Just club soda, lime, ginger, some muddled berries and that's it. Keeps it under 100 Calories and low sugar compared to other liquors or wine.

But since doctors are still deciding whether or not 1 glass of dry, red wine has health and weight loss benefits (or not) there's still hope.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm here to gain weight and sometimes- only sometimes! - use alcohol to make up the last 100-200 calories of my goal. Seems to work for me so I'd assume the opposite would also apply (for me at least)
    It definitely affects my quality of sleep though. And makes me crave salty things like nuts. Fine for me but less so for someone wanting to lose.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had the following in my diary in 2012 ; BREAKFAST / LUNCH /DINNER/SNACKS/DRINKS... I managed to lose 80lbs and drank a LOT of alcohol. But stayed in calorie restrictions. I did however switch to red wines/lighter beers/champagne/straight liquor. Frankly, I had an alcohol problem and have been completely sober now for 3 years. But as far as that went, I drank heavily , ran a lot, ate healthy, and dropped a whopping 80 pounds. Meh, not recommeneded.. but it can be done.
  • thickspo91
    thickspo91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Shots of hard liquor is my go to. Way less empty calories and no hangovers in the morning.