Circuit-based Weight Training Results (Recomposition)

Options
Hey folks--what do y'all think about circuit-based weight training? I have a number of naysayers in my life that are convinced that I won't see any muscle-building results with a program like this. Think 30-Day Shred if there weren't any cardio or ab circuits.

For example, 1 "set" would look like:

12 Chest flies
15 Curtsy lunge + bicep curls (each side)
12 Squats + dumbbell press

Repeat twice then onto the next circuit. Whole thing depending on upper or lower body lasts about 40-50 minutes.

Note: Not sure whether the weights/resistance I use counts as "heavy" or not...I struggle to lift the last two reps. Only 20 seconds of rest between each interval and forty seconds of rest between each circuit.

I hope I described this clearly enough...

Anyway, am I going to see results if I'm focused on recomp and am eating at very slightly above maintenance (< 100 cals)? I do get reasonably sore and, like I said, I am doing enough reps where the last two or three of each set feel like death (in a good way).

Help a weight room n00b out.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Circuit training is a long way adrift of optimal for muscle building.

If you are untrained / under-trained then of course you can get results with just about any program.
    I build leg muscle just from cycling but it's hugely inefficient in terms of time invested compared to traditional heavy lifting.

No other replies needed after this one. You'll probably get some results initially but you will run into diminishing returns quickly.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Also those exercises aren't great for muscle building. Combining 2 movements into 1 exercise works the 2 muscle groups unequally. For example, combining bicep curls with lunges ends up working the biceps much more than the legs, which are a stronger group. You're better off working the legs separately with heavier weights.
    Also, curtsy lunges are silly. Regular lunges work the legs much better, with less risk of hip or knee problems. Follow a proven program for best results (NROL, Stronglifts, etc). :+1:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like already said, that's not the most conducive to muscle building, especially after the initial few weeks. However you may "see" results if your eating is on point and you lose fat & appear leaner & more muscular. But that still doesn't mean you "built muscle".
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You'll just find more naysayers here.

Circuit training is an approach design to combine SOME lifting w/SOME cardio and not too much of either for general fitness.

The high rep/low wt scheme used in circuits is good for endurance but not muscle building. For that, you need to adopt a low rep/high wt approach instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with circuit training, but you have to understand what it is for in regards to "results"...circuit training IMO is pretty good for incorporating some resistance work with cardio in the same workout...thus it can be an efficient way of training for general fitness and muscle retention. High rep schemes though aren't particularly optimal for actually building muscle...you will namely gain muscular endurance as well as increased stamina from the cardio aspect. Actual strength and muscle gains would be fairly minimal and it is not a very efficient way to train for those things.