tips on losing weight quick plz

Options

Replies

• Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise. If it were easy to lose weight fast we would all be skinny. Avoid things that say 'quick' 'fast' or 'miracle' and get off you a** and do the work. Simple as that.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Another huge diet rule is this - don't snack after 9pm! Your metabolism is slowed down dirastically at night especially after 9pm, so any calories, fat, and sugar you intake late at night is pretty much stored as fat. Bad news bears all around. Try to walk around the house or drink a glass of water next time your getting the late night munchies! Your body will thank you for it. You will feel less gross in the morning too!

This is wrong. You can eat whenever you want. There is no cut off time to stop eating.

I agree, that is just wrong on so many levels
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice:

Learn about what you are doing. Learn what metabolism is, how it works, and why it works. And I'm not talking about quack websites, I mean real, scientific facts.

Calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is the TOTAL amount of calories that you burn per day with activity included. This is the number you need to be concerned about. Eat a reasonable deficit below this number and you will lose weight. Many people subtract 10-20% depending on their body weight and use that as their target calorie goal for the day.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The first step is relaaaax. You sound like you're freaking out!
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Another huge diet rule is this - don't snack after 9pm! Your metabolism is slowed down dirastically at night especially after 9pm, so any calories, fat, and sugar you intake late at night is pretty much stored as fat. Bad news bears all around. Try to walk around the house or drink a glass of water next time your getting the late night munchies! Your body will thank you for it. You will feel less gross in the morning too!

This is wrong. You can eat whenever you want. There is no cut off time to stop eating.

This could be true for some people, I think it depends on how the persons body works and what time they go to sleep and ect. That's another thing to remember about weight loss, every single person is different. I can eat ice cream at 2 and still lose weight but other people hold onto it. OP: just stay simple and you will learn what your body can handle. There's no need for insane rules or fad diets.
  • courtneyemilyy
    Options
    Before I begin, I do not recommend any diet and fitness plan that has the word "quick" or any word like that in it's title! Losing weight should not be expected to be fast or easy, there is no quick fix if you want to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF! Diets suck because you are starving your body of what it wants, and then once the diet is done you go crazy and gain it all back, OR you binge eat on "cheat days". Diets are out - lifestyle eating is in! Slowly make changes to your diet that are managable long term.

The first thing that obviously needs to be taken out of your diet is processed or "fake" foods. Anything with the words "fried", "battered" "rich" "creamy" etc. need to be taken out immediately! Stay away from fast food at all cost. Like sugar, fast food triggers an affect such as addictive drugs. And like any addictive substance, the more you have it, the more you want it;therefore, the less you have it, the less you want it! Next time you get a craving for lets say, supreme fries from KFC, wait 30min - chances are the craving will go away!

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It makes a massive difference almost instantly. 6-8 cups daily is recommended. For those people, like myself, who never really drink water, at first that number seems unrealistic, but honestly once you start it is really easy to drink that much! Skip pop and swap it for a water :) I always have my water bottle with me so I don't have to buy a bottled water - better for the environment! Add some lemon, mint, or oranges for some taste!

Eat as much fruits and vegetables as you possibly can! Some people don't eat enough because it takes "longer" to prepare than lets say, some chips. But I have this cool tip for you! As soon as you bring your veggies etc. home from the grocery store, cut them up right away and put them in the fridge. That way, you have easy access to a healthy alternative!

Now for working out: Doing long full body workouts 3-4 days a week seems a little bit too much to keep up for long term when you are first start out, so I recommend doing what myself and some other fitness buffs do! Ever hear of guys at the gym saying stuff like "today's leg day" or "chest day" ? Well, that's because they take everyday of the week, except 1-2 rest days, and chose one section of the body to workout each day! For example, my schedual is:

Sunday: Rest Day, Monday, Plyo/Booty/Leg day, Tuesday: Arm/Back/Chest day Wednesday: Ab day + Cardio Thursday: Rest Day, Friday: Plyo/Booty/Leg day, Saturday: Arm/back/chest day Sunday: Rest

Im not gunna get into what to do for each workout, look those up on youtube! Hope I helped :) Good luck on your weight loss journey! Add me as a friend and ask any questions or if you just want a personal cheerleader :)

Great tips! Especially to wait 30 mins and see if a craving goes away.

Thanks so much! They really worked for me! I know I have been told that my tip about not snacking late at night is wrong, but it really made a huge difference for me! I feel less lathargic, and I wake up not feeling gross in the morning like I did when I used to snack at midnight when I got the munchies! I have been sticking to that rule for a while now and I've noticed the difference! Add me if you like if you want another personal cheerleader on your team and feel free to ask any questions, hopefully I can help!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lord.

More BS here than I thought could fit in a box this size.

I eat most of my carbs AT NIGHT. why? Carb heavy meals put me in a food coma, which is pretty freaking ideal if you plan on going to sleep. Sleeping well, btw, is pretty freaking helpful. Nobody I know is looking at my progress pics or in real life and saying my progress is slow, and this is in a context of having no gym and living on the road for most of this year, in an unfamiliar country.

Totally baffled by ketosis dieter who eats 1200 cals a day. Talk about misery. Isn't the whole point supposed to be that you can eat more cals because you use them less efficiently? On top of that, mentioning that ketosis diets help with frequency of seizures in some people is a big ole non sequitur. It doesn't remotely apply to body recomposition. Ketosis is a coping mechanism your body uses when diet is not ideal. There are side effects, most noticeably halitosis.

Eat what you want, not too little protein, not too many cals. Do resistance training. Cardio if you enjoy it. Enjoy your new body and new lifestyle.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

This could be true for some people, I think it depends on how the persons body works and what time they go to sleep and ect. That's another thing to remember about weight loss, every single person is different. I can eat ice cream at 2 and still lose weight but other people hold onto it. OP: just stay simple and you will learn what your body can handle. There's no need for insane rules or fad diets.

The time you go to sleep is irrelevant. It is the AMOUNT of sleep that is important. I believe ninerbuff has linked a study before saying that when you sleep is when you burn the greatest amount of calories.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sorry but when something is BS I call it BS .

What do you have against carbs? you will never eat carbs again?

I like this dude. Your brain needs carbs to work. that's kind of important. Any mention of low-carb is just irritating.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The process is slow. If you really want to lose the weight and keep it off then you need to work on your lifestyle not some quick fix.
    The reason I am creating this post is because I’ve had a few requests for tips regarding weight loss. I don't know why people are asking me for tips considering I still have a lot to lose. :laugh: I am more than happy to share my opinion though and if you don’t agree, well that’s fine to. I make no guarantee that what I am doing will work for you.

Things I use to help me:

:heart: Heart Rate Monitor – I only use this for cardio workouts, because they aren’t meant for much else. I own a cheap Pyle Sports Heart Rate Watch (with chest strap) that I got off of amazon for $26. Polar HRM seem to be highly recommended, but are higher in cost.

:heart: FitBit Zip – I was originally looking to get the One or Flex models, but my husband surprised me with a Zip. I wear it all day, to get a better idea of my total calorie burn for the day. I love that it syncs with MFP and will adjust my calorie goals based on how active I was for the day. It’s extremely tiny and I clip it to my bra (on the part between the two cups).

:heart: Kitchen Scale – I only recently got my kitchen scale, but it is pretty much a must have if you want to be accurate with your food logs.

Exercise:

:heart: Reasons to Exercise:
    :drinker: Cardio – Is good for heart health, endurance, and will help burn some extra calories.
    :drinker: Strength – Is good for body appearance, strength, and will help burn fat (helps maintain LBM)

:heart: Rest Days – Are important. You want to take at least 1 per week to allow your body time to repair and prevent injury.

:heart: Work out Length – You don’t need to spend hours working out each day. I work out anywhere from 20- 90 mins 5-6 days a week. It all depends on how I’m feeling and how busy I am. I recently started Stronglifts 5x5, which takes about 30 mins 3x a week. The rest of my workouts are cardio or circuit training.

Food:

:heart: “Good”/”Bad” Food - I don’t believe in this. To me it is utter nonsense. Food is Food. Some foods provide more nutrients for very little calories while others have a lot of calories and very little nutrients.

:heart: Calorie Goals – Should be reasonable and easy to maintain. Find what works for you. I think it’s probably easier to start with a higher calorie number and work your way down until you are losing at a rate that you are happy with (and that’s healthy). You might end up surprised by how many calories you can eat and still lose weight.

:heart: Metabolic Issues – For those who have medical conditions that affect their metabolism, I’d suggest discussing things like weight loss with a dietitian. That way you can come up with a plan that will work for you. All the online calculators and stuff in that category will probably be very inaccurate for you.

:heart: Vitamins – I take a multivitamin daily. I am actually going to switch from taking a GNC Multi to one I found at Walmart that is very similar to the GNC one, but only a quarter of the cost($5 vs $20). I take a multi because I found without it I was very lethargic. The one I’m going to start taking as soon as I run out of the ones from GNC is “One Source Multivitamin: Women’s.”

:heart: Net Goal - MFP is designed to give you a NET goal to eat at. This means you are supposed to eat your exercise calorie burn. Depending on your accuracy of calculating your calorie burn, you might only want to eat 50-75% back. Another way to look at is:

MFP estimated daily burn (no exercise) - 2500
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2000 (no exercise)
    exercise burn of - 500
    MFP estimated daily burn (with exercise) - 3000
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2500 (or net 2000)

Tracking Progress:

:heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

:heart: Measurements – This is a great way to judge progress. I take measurements once a month. Even if your weight seems to go up, if your measurements are going down, then you are moving in the right direction. For accuracy you want to try and measure the same spots every time. Places I measure:
    :drinker: Neck
    :drinker: Upper Arm – largest part
    :drinker: Forearm – largest part
    :drinker: Wrist – smallest part
    :drinker: Bust
    :drinker: Ribs Under bust
    :drinker: Waist – where you bend (usually the smallest area above belly button, but below rib cage)
    :drinker: Abdomen @ Navel
    :drinker: Hips – largest part
    :drinker: Thigh – largest part
    :drinker: Calf – largest part

:heart: Pictures – Progress pictures are great. I like to take them once a month and at the start/end of any workout programs I do. You may not see the difference in the mirror, but comparing pictures will show you what the mirror does not.

:heart: Body Fat % - This is another great weigh to track progress. The electronic devices that track it can actually be affected by how much water you did or did not drink. For this reason, I prefer body fat calipers. I got a cheap one off amazon.com ($4 w/free shipping). This is also another thing you only want to track once a month or so. Like measurements, if this number goes down (even if the scale stays the same or goes up) than you are making progress.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is certainly not something that something someone should just dive into. It takes a lot of thought, and I would certainly recommend medical clearance. If you have diabetes, a ketogenic diet could be fatal.

I'm doing a short, 4 week, cyclical ketogenic diet right now. It is, and has been for a long time, a staple of natural bodybuilders. Yes, it does cut fat if done properly. But planning, and a lot of it, is key. I've sort of taken it to an extreme. I've gotten my carbs down since Sunday to under 10 a day. The body really doesn't have much choice but to burn fat since it has no glycogen. And I'm still under my daily TDEE target by 15-20% on average, even including the recarb days.

The definitive book on ketogenic diets and all its permutations is called, surprisingly enough, "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. I would recommend it to everyone because of Chapter 8 alone. Chapter 8 has nothing to do with the Ketogenic diet. It's all about setting calorie targets and what the science says about it. The dangers of going too low. The best presentation on the subject I have read. The rest of the book really is pretty much useful only to those doing a keto diet in some form.

Honestly, I'm loving this cyclical keto diet. But know it was only a short-term kick to change things up, to help to cut some of the fat, and will be back to my regular program in a few weeks.

Coming off a keto diet certainly doesn't cause weight gain unless you don't know what you are doing. As people who are opposed to have said: calories in - calories out. So if you come off keto and keep the calories in line, you['ll be fine.

Again, I would hardly recommend keto for everyone, and especially an 18 year old. Let them read about it and learn and decide on their own. The keto diet is certainly not for everyone. And you should talk with your doctor to make sure it is okay for you if you are considering it. But it is just another option. It isn't a magic bullet. Because there are no magic bullets.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Realise that it takes time and be patient. There's no "quick" way.
    Make sure to eat enough, you don't want to deprive yourself.
    Find exercise you enjoy!

Edited to add that I agree with poster who suggested measurements too.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Body builders do lots of goofy things. The physique you see in their competitions is not sustainable or a representation of how they look most of the year.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    So, I've never bothered to look into a ketogenic diet because I'm not a body builder and I love rice/bread/teh ebil carbs but isn't this just another name for the Atkins diet? :\
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    So, I've never bothered to look into a ketogenic diet because I'm not a body builder and I love rice/bread/teh ebil carbs but isn't this just another name for the Atkins diet? :\

Hey, Atkins is a version, but there are several versions. I'm in a low carb and low fat diet. Atkins is low carb and high fat.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lord.

I eat most of my carbs AT NIGHT. why? Carb heavy meals put me in a food coma, which is pretty freaking ideal if you plan on going to sleep. Sleeping well, btw, is pretty freaking helpful. Nobody I know is looking at my progress pics or in real life and saying my progress is slow, and this is in a context of having no gym and living on the road for most of this year, in an unfamiliar country.

Totally baffled by ketosis dieter who eats 1200 cals a day. Talk about misery. Isn't the whole point supposed to be that you can eat more cals because you use them less efficiently? On top of that, mentioning that ketosis diets help with frequency of seizures in some people is a big ole non sequitur. It doesn't remotely apply to body recomposition. Ketosis is a coping mechanism your body uses when diet is not ideal. There are side effects, most noticeably halitosis.

Eat what you want, not too little protein, not too many cals. Do resistance training. Cardio if you enjoy it. Enjoy your new body and new lifestyle.

Nothing to be baffled about. As I said before, I've never felt better. And I do get carbs in, just less than I used to. It works. And when I'm at goal, I have a carefully plan maintenance program to reincorporate carbs into my diet. I'm aiming to be at goal by November. I hope I run into a few of you again on here so we can see if this ends up being maintainable for me or not. It's my first crack at keto, but I feel very confident about it.
  • Julesama
    Julesama Posts: 7
    Options
    Now, I'm not an expert in weight loss, but I have tried a bunch of diets, and I've been finding out that this one I'm on really, really works! I'm hesitant to even call it a diet, because I'm not just sadly eating a salad everyday. Pretty much, I logged onto MFP, and have been following their calorie limits to the tee. Sometimes I go over on stuff- usually protein and sodium- but I always stay on target with calories and fat.

Now, I also try to do some workout every day. It doesn't need to be much, just a 45 minute walk sometimes. I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and work out hard for a while- find a fun program like Zumba (you burn TONS of calories and its really fun!) Try to get out of your house, because as long as you sit there you will majorly want food. When you get hungry, go for some carrots or a clementine instead of chips. Just one large, peeled carrot usually takes care of my hunger, and believe me, I'm not usually a light eater.

The good thing about the MFP diet is that you can treat yourself, within limit, and still lose! I've lost 7 pounds within the last week in a completely healthy way- I just cut down what I ate and workout more (5 of those pounds aren't listed on the profile... ), but I ate pizza just two nights ago. The key is portion control- Instead of having three pieces, I had one small piece, then another half of a small piece and ate slowly.

Seriously, if you follow the MFP plan and try to stay active, this works really well! And you can still enjoy things you want, within reason.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Oh dear lord.

Nothing to be baffled about. As I said before, I've never felt better. And I do get carbs in, just less than I used to. It works. And when I'm at goal, I have a carefully plan maintenance program to reincorporate carbs into my diet. I'm aiming to be at goal by November. I hope I run into a few of you again on here so we can see if this ends up being maintainable for me or not. It's my first crack at keto, but I feel very confident about it.

The baffling part was the 1200 cals AND ketosis. I do plenty of low carb days while cutting (rest days usually), but when running deficits over 20% of TDEE, it just does not seem right to me. I always make sure I have enough to stay out of ketosis (the halitosis alone is reason enough).
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    As someone who has done both traditional and low carb/low fat/high protein diets, I can give you some background on how fast the weight loss is:

When I was younger (mid 30's) I went on Jenny Craig and lost about 30-35 lbs. I was put on 1200-1500 calories per day (varied because I kept stalling out), and it took 3.5 years to lose the weight.

Kept the weight off for about 4 years then my thryoid started to fail and I slowly gained the weight back (no changes in diet, just slow weight gain). In January I finally was "diagnosed" with Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Hypothroidism, and placed on Synthroid. I did NOT want to try the traditional diet again, it took way to fricking long.

Did the low carb/low fat/ high protein diet->went from 166 to 134 today in about 5 months. I have been eating more carbs this past month and my weight loss has stalled again (fruits and vegetables only, have not dived into grains or breads yet). For weight loss my carbs have to be less than 25 grams per day.

LOW CARB/LOW FAT/HIGH PROTEIN is the way to go for ME if I want to lose quickly. It works, I am not starving (unless I end up eating more fruits and veggies, which I have been lately), and my lean body mass has been retained.

All these commends about "BS" and "when you eat carbs you will gain all the weight back because it is water" are from people who haven't done the diet and are ignorant of how it works.

It is not a diet to keep long term, eventually you need fiber, and vitamins from fruits and veggies, but in the short term, this is the way to go (for me).

Other tips: drink lots of water, exercise, and choose healthy foods. If you do low carb, you need supplements because fruits and veggies provide most of the micronutrients your body needs.