Body fat scale?

Options
Now that I am aiming to maintain my weight. Actually looking to add some muscle so I'm not so focused on looking at pounds anymore. I am focused on reducing body fat.

Does anyone have any good scales that are accurate at measuring this? I was contemplating the FitBit scale that synchs with the app.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    Now that I am aiming to maintain my weight. Actually looking to add some muscle so I'm not so focused on looking at pounds anymore. I am focused on reducing body fat.

Does anyone have any good scales that are accurate at measuring this? I was contemplating the FitBit scale that synchs with the app.

Any thoughts? Thanks

No. Nobody has a good scale that measures your body fat accurately. Such a thing would be wonderful, if it existed. Now if you can accept an estimate that's not accurate or terribly useful, there are a lot of ways to spend $100+ on that.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    They are really good at measuring the electrical resistance in your legs!

That's all they do, and then using that resistance makes assumptions and math. Resistance through bone, muscle, fat, and water is different.

If your legs mimic the rest of your body, they are pretty good. If you are like me and carry almost no fat below your hips, it's useless to measure fat.

Note: they'll never read your whole body. Electricity and path of least resistance and all.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out Chisel by Skulpt. Can be purchased on Amazon or at Best Buy. I have one and am impressed with the results. Just like any measuring device it is not always 100% accurate but if you use the readings and measure trends it is a great tool.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I had some Omron 4 point BIA scales that gave a reasonable trend. Better than BodPod scans in fact. Hands and feet sensors so at least you measure the resistance of most of your body @scorpio516 - not just legs.

Whether the actual number was empirically accurate is a moot point, same for all methods of estimation really. You also need to realise that you may get some strange spikes depending on hydration levels. You really can't just get on and take the number given as gospel. A bit like weighing yourself - the trend is more significant than today's number.

But I've also had some scales that are only good for laughs.

Overall I would say you are better off tracking using a tape measure and taking progress pictures.