Starting for the millionth time and feeling a little overwhelmed and lost

Options
CinqueFit
CinqueFit Posts: 19 Member
Hello everyone....

I've been doing My Fitness Pal for a few years. I generally start out gung ho and then trail off after about a week or two. I am struggling with the self discipline to weigh and log my foods. I tend to get overwhelmed and then give up. I hate that I keep quitting. I know it's a process and that I should take this day by day, but it's so hard for me to mentally stay in it. I read a lot of the success stories and although they do motivate me, I generally start to veer off and eventually Overeat, feel bad and then give up altogether.

My other problem is that I'm very strict when it comes to eating, which leads to binging. I always make the same thing, some sort of protein and vegetable and maybe a small carb, but I want to know what are other people's plans for food. What do they eat that they find success? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What about increasing your calories. My goal is to not spend the rest of my life worried about my weight. So I have to make changes that I can do for the rest of my life. And I can't eat 1200 calories a day for the rest of my life. So why not increase your calories until you're comfortable but still losing just don't be so aggressive?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Make small changes so that you get accustomed to them. Dont try to go all in right on the first day. it will burn you out so fast because you arent ready for that much change.

Start off cutting out pops and cokes and added sugars. Reduce any snacks and meal portions until you are under your calorie count for the day. Then start to make better choices with the room you have, choices that fill you up better and prevent feelings of hunger. Eventually your body will get used to it and you will start to have a hard time reaching your calorie allotment for the day.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been there too. I'm 43 and have been trying to lose weight since my teens but never been overly successful until this time. I am still not quite at my goal but 156 day streak so far and I am easily the lowest weight I have been n my life, only about 4 lbs from my goal and this time I will get there.

This is what I feel has made it work for me this time.
    1. Finding exercise that I enjoy and can easily fit into my life (I am cycling to work) - from that I have started doing other exercise too, having the base level of fitness now it just seems natural to do other things.
    2. As mentioned above, not cutting my calories too far. My weight loss is averaging at about 1lb per week but I have my calorie budget set at 1/2lb. Most days I come in under those calories (after exercise) but they are there for the bad days when I need them!! Previously I would set my calories low, end up starving after a few days then binge and give up.
    3. Joining in challenges such as weight loss check ins on the forum and having some mfp friends. This extra level of accountability has helped keep me on the straight and narrow on those bad days.

Hope it works out for you - don't give up.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Im right there with ya again, I keep on trying, lose it, gain it, then lose it again. Tomorrow I start again.
  • CinqueFit
    CinqueFit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your great advice. I am currently at 194 lbs and looking to lose 50ish lbs. My calories are set to 1500, but I do need to just be consistent with logging. Thanks again everyone
  • thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi-- just wanted to say I can completely relate. I've been trying to lose the same 10-20 pounds for like 8 years now. I have lost a bit since my highest, but I berate myself for "not being disciplined enough" to lose the rest.
    But I really shouldn't do tell myself that, because I am a disciplined person in other areas-- work, friendships, pushing myself out of my comfort zone (the biggest was moving from the US to Hong Kong to live, having never traveled there). So I AM strong and disciplined. If I could somehow figure out how to channel that into making healthy, CONSISTENT food choices and sticking with this stuff. I know when I've had success in the past it was literally all about consistency... "there is no try, only do or do not"...
    It's like we know WHAT to do... but not HOW to do it over the long-term. Best of luck -- @CinqueFit I'll send you a friend request and we can motivate each other~!
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you as far as off again, on again. I joined MFP YEARS ago and log in a few days here, a few days there. I forget, then remember. Have a bad day, so logging my food shows my failure so I just don't do it.

I've held on to my "having a baby fat" for 15 years :/ According to my current weight, I should be giving birth to a child...I'm at my same weight when I gave birth to both my girls.

I have a desk job, so I don't get to move around at work. It's hard to get up and do anything when you sit all day, it's just so easy to just sit on my butt all day at my desk. If I do get that crazy moment, I'll hide in a closet and do a few squats...but I just feel so silly doing it. (I really don't even like exercising in front of my husband.)

I really need to get my a*s motivated! Easier said than done :(

Oh....and eating salads everyday at work gets rrreealllyyy old..................I went and had Zaxby's for lunch :neutral:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    CinqueFit wrote: »
    Hello everyone....

I've been doing My Fitness Pal for a few years. I generally start out gung ho and then trail off after about a week or two. I am struggling with the self discipline to weigh and log my foods. I tend to get overwhelmed and then give up. I hate that I keep quitting. I know it's a process and that I should take this day by day, but it's so hard for me to mentally stay in it. I read a lot of the success stories and although they do motivate me, I generally start to veer off and eventually Overeat, feel bad and then give up altogether.

My other problem is that I'm very strict when it comes to eating, which leads to binging. I always make the same thing, some sort of protein and vegetable and maybe a small carb, but I want to know what are other people's plans for food. What do they eat that they find success? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Don't be strict! It's not all or nothing. It's progress you should be looking for....not perfection.

You don't need radical changes to lose weight and keep it off (unless you are 600 pounds) you just need moderate changes.
    • Add more fruits & veggies. These are filling and lower in calories.
    • Add more exercise. You don't have to knock yourself out. Moving more than you do "regularly" will make an impact.
    • Don't lower your calories too much. Especially at the beginning. Give yourself time to learn what foods are filling for you. My list & yours are not the same.

Consider "non-logging" options. There is a diet out there called the No-S diet.....no seconds, no sweets, no snacks, except sometimes on days that begin with "S" - Saturday, Sunday, Special days. It's a lifestyle change.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm right there with you as far as off again, on again. I joined MFP YEARS ago and log in a few days here, a few days there. I forget, then remember. Have a bad day, so logging my food shows my failure so I just don't do it.

I've held on to my "having a baby fat" for 15 years :/ According to my current weight, I should be giving birth to a child...I'm at my same weight when I gave birth to both my girls.

I have a desk job, so I don't get to move around at work. It's hard to get up and do anything when you sit all day, it's just so easy to just sit on my butt all day at my desk. If I do get that crazy moment, I'll hide in a closet and do a few squats...but I just feel so silly doing it. (I really don't even like exercising in front of my husband.)

I really need to get my a*s motivated! Easier said than done :(

Oh....and eating salads everyday at work gets rrreealllyyy old..................I went and had Zaxby's for lunch :neutral:

At home exercise.....shut the door, it's your "me time." I started with Walk At Home.....I'm such a klutz but this got my but off the couch. https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

These can be short, just do "1 mile" they're like 15 minutes. Anything to get you started.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    CinqueFit wrote: »
    Hello everyone....

i started with MFP in 2011 for the 1st time n this my 3rd round at it. l cook very simple too. meat n vegs n thats most of my meals. i snack on fruits n smoothies n nuts, with the right amount (most of the time). i will reserve 1000 calories if i know i m going out that evening. if u want recipe ideas, theres a lot on the internet. just google.

300 calories meals
    400 calories meals
    500 calories meals

good luck!

PS my dairy is open
  • special79
    special79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

So I joined MFP a year or 2 years ago not sure. I haven't been on here for a very long time. I'm going "START" again. I'm at the same weight as when I was pregnant 5 years ago. I did loose the weight but with life, job (desk job), procrastination, laziness the weight is back. I am a little depressed I went shopping for some clothes today & u have gone up a pant size since last year. So I really need to do something. Good luck everyone!
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @special79 did you read mine above?.....I've held on to mine for 15 years! :disappointed: Sounds like we might be in similar boats LoL
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost a year now. (11 days until then) I've lost 50 pounds.
    My tips
    Make small changes. First it might be to just log your food, it doesn't matter how much you go over just get in the habit of logging. (BTW, I don't use a scale. I figure if I get to the point I am stalling then I will, but until then I just use my best judgement.) Add so many cups of water per day. Try getting up and walking during commercials. I started out walking 10 minutes a day, during my lunch break. If you want to track steps, down load a pedometer on your phone. No need to go fancy, unless you want.

Set small goals for yourself. These will help you stay motivated. Join some of the challenges on here. You meet great people, and learn a lot.

Most importantly, remember we are not perfect, we all have bad days. It is the getting back up and back at it that counts. Even if you have a binge day, you aren't likely to kill all your weight loss on one binge. It takes an additional 3500 calories to gain 1 pound. That is above your maintenance level, which is higher than what MFP will have your calories set at. When you eat salty food you retain water, when you try new exercises you will retain water, Your hormones will make you weigh more every 2 weeks (if your period is regular.) Plus the scale just fluctuates. So if you weigh daily, don't get too down on a pound or two gain.

Best of luck
  • Sullco
    Sullco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of MFP since 2012 and started at about 320 lbs, got down to 290 or so and now back up and steady at 320. I'm overweight but at 6'4" I carry it well but need to lose a few pounds.

Looking to get under 300 by the end of the summer and then down to 280 by the end of the year. Help along the way is always appreciated and haven't used the community here before so hopefully we can keep each other accountable.