Thighs

Options

As i lose weight, what are some exercises i can do that will stengthen my thighs? My goal is to have great legs so i feel comfortable wearing shorts. So as i lose fat by staying in my calorie goal range i would like to work on making my legs strong.

What can i do at home to help? My favorite exercise is walking (2-7 miles depending on my mood) and i like squats. Anything else i can do for my thigh area?

Before i get bombed with comments about not being able to spot reduce or target specific fat areas please know that i understand this and that is not the goal of my question.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Romanian deadlifts, which you can do with barbells, dumbbells, kettlebell, plates, with grips, etc. Also, glute bridges (first bodyweight only and then with a barbell.) I like regular deadlifts too. I do conventional deadlifts one day per week and RDLs plus leg curls the other day. Also, goblet squats and barbell hack squats are my preferred squat.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do on your walks is walking lunges. Add dumbells to make them harder!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like squats, deadlifts, glute bridges and hip thrusts, lunges and plies.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Squats and as above (lunges) would be my picks if you're at home. Dumbells to increase difficulty r anything heavy that you can hold comfortably if you dont have dumbells.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Walking hills
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Some i know how to do but havent. Some i had to google for correct form. Ive got a few wrote down that i like.

Do you think i can use some of these as part of my stretching before my walk to warm up?
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said I guess you're not going or don't have access to a gym and you want to work out at home. There are plenty of good exercises on YouTube as far as working and toning your

Some of my suggestions are squats, front lunges, rear lunges, side lunges, three position calf raises, wall squats, plyometrics which is Jump exercises. Like I said YouTube is a great source and its finding something you enjoy in your comfortable with
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You may want to check out some Plyometric routines. No equipment needed and it will work every muscle in your legs, even the ones you didn't know you have.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Quickly glanced, but I don't think anyone mentioned step ups yet.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you don't have access to weights, there are lots of bodyweight options and if you have resistance bands they are awesome. At some point when you become proficient you can start to add weights: dumbbells, kettlebells, a big water jug, whatever you have access to.

-Squats: bodyweight, squats with bands above knees, Bulgarian split squats (can use stable chair or bench),single leg box, pistol squats,
    -Lunges: Walking lunge, step up reverse lunge, curtsy lunge
    -Hip thrusts and glute bridges - bodyweight, single leg, banded, glute march, frog pumps
    -Single leg bodyweight deadlift, Romanian deadlift with weight
    -If you have an exercise ball you can do leg curls
    -Abductions with bands, hip extensions, kickbacks, fire hydrants (can all use bodyweight or bands), lateral/monster walk with bands
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said I guess you're not going or don't have access to a gym and you want to work out at home.

Yes. I did have a gym membership but i live in a small military town and at any given time it was over run by grunting guys that hogged the free weights- which was the hole reason i joined! 3 gyms in the town (2 of them anytime fitness) and all of them packed.

Thanks everyone for the info! I havent showned above the knee in about 15 years! My goal is for my vacation next march to wear shorts and feel confident
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Run if you can. I was never a big fan of my legs (felt I had to wear heels if I was in shorts) but then I started running and now my legs are one of my favorite parts of my body. I love wearing shorts and comfy flats now!
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Ive just brought a thigh trimmer. £10 off amazon . For when im at home and dont have time for a full work out or a walk. Or if the weather is rubbish.
    Hoping it helps tone.