Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is counting calories/macros destroying our enjoyment of food?

Options

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    kaygold wrote: »
    Love reading everyone's opinions on the subject. Though many of you are saying that counting calories has no negative influence on your enjoyment of food, do you think it has had an effect on your relationship with food (example: looking at 2 choices on a menu and seeing only numbers, choosing the lower calorie option, etc.)?

Not really. I order what I want, eat the amount that fits into my calorie goal and take the rest home.

But how do you know the calories to the point you know it fits? This is what I struggle with :/

Good question. If calories are available on the menu or website I start there, knowing it's an estimate. If not I break the food down into component parts and use the opportunity to practice eyeballing portions in the serving, i.e. ~4 oz salmon, ~1/2 c veg, ~1/2 c rice and so on. I add calories for sauce/oil/butter (anywhere from 1 tsp to 1/4c depending on if it's a touch of olive oil on the veg or something swimming in butter sauce). From this I decide how much I can eat and fit in my calories. It's all approximate, but I also know that underestimating one restaurant meal won't do anything to undermine my weight-loss goals, as long as I'm being honest as I can with my estimates. After that I dig into my food stress-free and enjoy another meal with the leftovers. :)

BTW, it may sound complicated but this takes me about 20 seconds in real life because I've been doing this for so long it's pretty automatic.

I'd love to take you to some of my favorite local places to see how you'd log what they make. XD

Do you just make your estimates and use quick add?
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    We enjoyed food too much in the past. That's how we all got fat.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    Love reading everyone's opinions on the subject. Though many of you are saying that counting calories has no negative influence on your enjoyment of food, do you think it has had an effect on your relationship with food (example: looking at 2 choices on a menu and seeing only numbers, choosing the lower calorie option, etc.)?

Not really. I order what I want, eat the amount that fits into my calorie goal and take the rest home.

But how do you know the calories to the point you know it fits? This is what I struggle with :/

Good question. If calories are available on the menu or website I start there, knowing it's an estimate. If not I break the food down into component parts and use the opportunity to practice eyeballing portions in the serving, i.e. ~4 oz salmon, ~1/2 c veg, ~1/2 c rice and so on. I add calories for sauce/oil/butter (anywhere from 1 tsp to 1/4c depending on if it's a touch of olive oil on the veg or something swimming in butter sauce). From this I decide how much I can eat and fit in my calories. It's all approximate, but I also know that underestimating one restaurant meal won't do anything to undermine my weight-loss goals, as long as I'm being honest as I can with my estimates. After that I dig into my food stress-free and enjoy another meal with the leftovers. :)

BTW, it may sound complicated but this takes me about 20 seconds in real life because I've been doing this for so long it's pretty automatic.

I'd love to take you to some of my favorite local places to see how you'd log what they make. XD

Do you just make your estimates and use quick add?

Sometimes I use quick add if it's hard to pick apart the components, especially in sauces, those are often a wag and I try to overestimate a little. I have celiac disease so most often I'm ordering meals with broiled meat/fish, vegetables and potatoes or rice, all easy to identify and guesstimate fairly accurately. Sometimes I can order pasta, then I go with 1 cup pasta and 1/4 cup of sauce (usually primavera, or marinara if I'm sure it's safe). Salads I estimate each part in my head (1 boiled egg, 3 oz chicken, 1 oz cheese, etc.) then do a quick add. None of this is particularly accurate but it works well enough so that I don't see an impact on my weight loss and like I said, I get to practice portion control :)
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

I don't agree that "we ate too much food" is equivalent to "we enjoyed food too much." I think the difference is small but significant.
    Too much food went into our mouths, that's how we got fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I don't agree that "we ate too much food" is equivalent to "we enjoyed food too much." I think the difference is small but significant.

I agree. I enjoy food just as much now as when I was overweight.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Calorie counting let me try new things and have more variety to my food. Though some things dont taste as good as they used to. For example I used to love pasta but now I don't really like it anymore. Though now I really love chicken when before I though it was only ok.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've found the exact opposite. Being more mindful of what makes up the food I eat makes me more appreciative of each little part.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It really did if I don't prep the food myself. So family dinner at my mom's been really rough. Stuff on the table blew the cal intake limit off the roof with just few bites. Sometimes I miss the time that I can eat fried stuff without knowing how bad it really is
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just the opposite. MFP, calorie counting and tracking macros, has really turned my life around, for the better. To be brief; I became disabled, after the birth of my youngest daughter (who is now 19). Can only move very short distances with 2 crutches or I'm in my wheelchair.

More recently I also developed an autoimmune disease and have angina (heart disease is rife in my family). During this time, I piled on the weight because my calories burned decreased drastically overnight, and my diet didn't. If anything I probably ate a lot less. But it was the wrong type of foods and my calorie intake increased. I will be 50 next month.

3 years ago I was borderline severely obese, and my blood tests results were terrible. I needed to lose weight, my health was deteriating. It would need to be mainly through diet alone, as exercising in conventional terms was impossible. Before discovering MFP, I'd tried many diets, some with medical assistance, I managed to lose some weight, but nothing lasted. I was 14st 3lb at my heaviest 3 years ago. Struggling through difficult diets I managed to lower my weight to 12st 12lb. Better but not good enough, blood test results were still bad. Every time I stopped "dieting" my weight would start to increase again.

Then 17 months ago I discovered MFP, my life saver, (literally). I have given up "dieting" finally, for ever. Knowing I can track daily, for life and my food plan fits my life. It takes moments, everyday and has become a daily habit (a bit like, brushing my teeth), just something I do, but in return I'm healthier.

At first I stuck to my calorie target and my weight was moving in the right direction. Then reading the blogs and forums, I educated myself, learning about macros and about balance. Since then I have logged everything, every day and I now weigh 11st 6lb (another 3lb loss, will give me an overall weight loss of 3 stone.) Which will also mean I'm a healthy weight for my age/height. My GP was amazed at not just my weight loss, but the change in my blood tests, they are all now within the healthy range. Before my hair was falling out and I lost my finger nails, 18 mths later, they are healthier, thicker and stronger than they've ever been. My hair dresser is amazed, that changing my diet has had such an effect on my hair. Was the finest/thinnest/driest hair she had ever cut, especially because of my age. But now it's really healthy again.

I have a weekly allowance, which allows me more flexibility daily. I alternate from a small deficit and maintenance calories, knowing that I can happy eat this way for life. It's flexibility allows me to "enjoy life" again. Not worry about eating out for example. I had lost any interest in food, but now I love food again. I make every calorie count and won't waste calories on mindless eating or foods I don't like. So easy to track and has really changed my quality of life for the best.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I've found the exact opposite. Being more mindful of what makes up the food I eat makes me more appreciative of each little part.

I find this too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Being mindful of food isn't the same as calorie counting though. I spend a great deal of my time being mindful of my food, where and how it's grown, quality, nutrient and calorie content, etc. But weighing and measuring each bite I consume is beyond mindful. Mindful is just that, using your mind. Thinking about it and being aware.

Weighing and logging could be a good way to learn to be mindful though.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

Being mindful of food isn't the same as calorie counting though. I spend a great deal of my time being mindful of my food, where and how it's grown, quality, nutrient and calorie content, etc. But weighing and measuring each bite I consume is beyond mindful. Mindful is just that, using your mind. Thinking about it and being aware.

Weighing and logging could be a good way to learn to be mindful though.

which was exactly my point
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I feel that counting calories not only destroys my enjoyment of food but of life itself. I've been struggling to find a diet and lifestyle that will lead to becoming thinner without all that counting and measuring, and although I've had some modest success (-19 pounds), once again I've hit a wall of weight varying up and down 2-3 pounds and not really changing.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Even if it does, it's something that I have to do.
    Sigh.

Yes it is ruining MY enjoyment. But, better than the alternative.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I feel that counting calories not only destroys my enjoyment of food but of life itself. I've been struggling to find a diet and lifestyle that will lead to becoming thinner without all that counting and measuring, and although I've had some modest success (-19 pounds), once again I've hit a wall of weight varying up and down 2-3 pounds and not really changing.

If you aren't losing then just eat a little less than you are now.
  • buffgrl
    buffgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I kinda like when restaurants offer calorie info, because sometimes when you are eating out it's out of social expectation rather than just for pure pleasure. If you have many such events, eating with abandon at each one could certainly derail your diet plan. So it's nice to be able to know calories or if they have a "lighter" menu for those times when you need to stick to your plan but can't say "sorry but I'm on a diet". When I eat out for pure pleasure on my "free" day, I could care less about what the calories are or how much I eat. I follow my plan religiously 6 days a week and on day 7 I eat however I want, as much as I want and I'm still leaning out nicely. Works great for me! But yeah, sometimes I already had my "cheat day" and so I gotta keep it from turning into a "cheat week" so I say YAY on the calorie info on menus.