What's the best way to kick start a diet?

Any tips?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I don't know about kick starting, but when I've been slacking and decide I've had enough fun, I pick a day to get back on track and pre-log it. Start off with using the foods you already eat and, over time, make swaps as necessary as you learn about your eating habits and preferences and how they fit into your calorie goal.

If you're looking for cleanses, pills, etc., don't waste your time or your money.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    For me it's about food choices and macros. So stocking the fridge and pantry, then weighing and logging my food.
    That way I eat the foods that are best for me (leave me feeling satisfied)
    Exercising, even if I start small, like with a 30min walk and early morning lifting.
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    I tried to make small changes when I started. If I tried to make too many changes at once I knew I'd never stick to them. Pre-teaching my food the day before was one of the bigest helps for me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,046 Member
    Start it the way you intend to continue it. Embarking on one course for a short period with the intention of changing course to a more maintainable course is largely pointless and a waste of energy.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    By using the app and logging every darn bit you take, this gives you a real representation of the amount of calories you have been eating. It is usually eye popping compared to what you thought you were probably eating. Then eat at a calorie deficit. You lose weight.. A little exercise doesn't hurt, it really helps your thought process around knowing how much you are eating and getting some results. Best of luck.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    The best way to kick start a diet is to kick it to the curb. Personally I don't believe in diets, I believe in developing good eating habits for life. Why would I want to temporarily eat foods I wouldn't normally eat just to lose weight? Once you have good eating habits with a good balance of fat/protein/carbs and are eating a lot of good quality whole foods, you simply eat more or less depending on whether you are trying to lose weight, maintain, or bulk and gain muscle.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    for me its usually fasting.. i have to do something extreme so I can see results quickly.. then mentally i get my act together and try to eat in a calorie deficit and amp my workouts up so I can keep the weight off and keep losing
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Purchase a Barbie and a bottle of lighter fluid.

You can figure out the rest.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,466 Member
    What's the best way to kick start a diet? Any tips?

Enter your details into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Select the amount you want to lose each week
    Eat the number of calories MFP gives you.

If you exercise, log it and eat about half your exercise calories back.

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Don't make it a diet, make it a change for the rest of your life. I believe in only doing things you can maintain, forever. Good food, good sweaty exercise, good sleep, water...that's it. You don't need potions, pills, low carb, fasting, cleanses or cheat days in my opinion.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me when I am about to cut, I have to get excited about it. I first figure out my calorie goal and macros, then I go on Pinterest, Skinnytaste.com, proteinchef, etc. and gather recipes that look good. I plan and write out meal and snack options, things to meal prep, grocery lists, meal plans for the week. Then I go shopping, do some meal prep, get excited about my food. Make it fun, make it enjoyable, don't think of it as torture. Make small changes at first if it is all overwhelming, make small goals... ex to have a certain about of fibre or servings of vegetables, try a new recipe or food once a week, paperbag lunch at least 3x per week, drink more water, switch from cream to whole milk in your coffee, etc.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    If you need a kick-start, I bet you haven't got what it takes to reach your eventual goal.

A small, sustainable weekly weight loss goal will help you stick to your plan for as long as it takes.

Eat the foods that satisfy you within your calorie limit. Avoid crash diets that lead to crash-and-burns.

Read the goddam stickies.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Good luck.
  • kat41923
    kat41923 Posts: 1 Member
    Make chicken vegetables soup
    Use boneless skinless chicken . boil chicken
    Add chopped cabbage, onion, carrot. Put in as many Non Starchy vegetables as you like. Add a can of tomato juice.
    Eat soup (as much and as often as you like) for 3 days.
    Drink 64 oz water
    Sugar free coffee and tea are o.k. in moderation
    Good luck
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    kat41923 wrote: »
    Add chopped cabbage, onion, carrot. Put in as many Non Starchy vegetables as you like. Add a can of tomato juice.
    Drink 64 oz water
    Good luck

How many calories in this soup that you can eat freely? Calorie intake matter and it sounds ridicously boring.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    It will kickstart itself because the first week you drop a decent amount of water. Just keep a nice deficit and you'll be fine
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Drink 64 oz water
    Good luck

How many calories in this soup that you can eat freely? Calorie intake matter and it sounds ridicously boring.

I'd guess 150 cals/serving if you load that thing with chicken. Still a pathetic amount of calories and an unnecessary amount of suffering lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Drink 64 oz water
    Good luck

I'd guess 150 cals/serving if you load that thing with chicken. Still a pathetic amount of calories and an unnecessary amount of suffering lol

High protein cabbage soup! Blech
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    When I kick started mine I made just a few small changes... started drinking a ton of water, eliminated a few items like cream in my coffee and some other junk food items I was eating... like replaced snacks with fruit and veggies. Went through my house and got rid of anything that was empty calories and replaced with nutritious whole foods. That's all I did for the first couple of months. Baby steps :smile: